Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

The Best and Worst of "MERLIN"

illegalferret

[81]Sep 5, 2010
    • level: 25

Arthur- in this circle we are all equal

Just because of the links to the round table!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[82]Sep 11, 2010
    • level: 75
    Best and Worst kiss

-Gwen and Merlin?
    -Lancelot and Gwen?
    -Arthur and Gwen?
    -Arthur and Vivian?
    -Morgana's almost kiss with Alvarr?
    -Uther and Catrina?
    -Uther and the troll?
    -Merlin and Freya?

pcdsa

[83]Sep 11, 2010
    • level: 12

Best: Arhur and Guinevere first and second kiss

Worst: Lancelot and Guinevere using the same music as A-G kiss 1 (grrr!)

Second worst: Alvarr's kiss on Morgana's cheek (shudder)

illegalferret

[84]Sep 11, 2010

Best: Arthur and Guinevere first time round its so cute!

Worst/Funniest: Uther and the troll!

dpebbleson

[85]Sep 12, 2010
    • level: 24
    Best: Arthur and Guinevere
    Worst: Morgana and Alvarr (grrr... don't touch my Morgana...)

boom-moo

[86]Sep 12, 2010
    Best: Arthur and Guinevere's first kiss. It was really sweet and unexpected.

Worst: Uther and the troll, with those strings of erm... you get it

UltraTraveler

[87]Sep 16, 2010
    • level: 9
    Worst: known/destined development, wherein Mordred and Morgana are destined to be enemies of the state.

In the beginning, the one Mordred and Morgana hated is neither Arthur nor Merlin, but Uther. It's unfortunate that misunderstandings messed these three, Mordred, Morgana, and Merlin. Merlin knew Mordred was being used. If Merlin tried to talk him out instead catch him (death if caught), Mordred would not hate Merlin. Merlin thought Morgana knew and deliberatively to be the source of the mysterious disease. If Merlin tried to talk to her and straight it out instead of poisoning her, Morgana would probably think of Merlin as a desperate friend who is out of option instead of a betrayer.

boom-moo

[88]Sep 16, 2010
    UltraTraveler wrote:
    Merlin knew Mordred was being used. If Merlin tried to talk him out instead catch him (death if caught), Mordred would not hate Merlin.
    Well, Merlin didn't try to catch Mordred but to retrieve the Crystal and prevent the downfall of Camelot. It isn't Merlin's fault that Mordred sided with Alvarr, although I agree that Alvarr's only interest in Mordred was to use him as a lure for Morgana to agree to Alvarr's wishes. Anyway, Merlin didn't really have a chance to talk things out with Mordred, did he? Plus I don't think Mordred would have listened after Merlin (even if unwillingly) lead Arthur and his men to Aglain's camp which caused the death of those Mordred loved.

UltraTraveler wrote:
    Merlin thought Morgana knew and deliberatively to be the source of the mysterious disease. If Merlin tried to talk to her and straight it out instead of poisoning her, Morgana would probably think of Merlin as a desperate friend who is out of option instead of a betrayer.
    I am not sure Merlin thought that Morgana did take a willing and active part in the events of 2x12. The Dragon never said so and Morgana was just as confused as Merlin & Arthur. Now if Merlin should have trusted Morgana with his secret earlier on, that's a different story.

dpebbleson

[89]Sep 17, 2010

This week's category for 'The Best and Worst of "MERLIN"' is THE BEST EPISODE TITLE. Name a favourite name of an episode!

My favourite title is 'A Remedy to Cure All Ills'. To me it sounds melancholic, and somewhat ironic, since ills may be cured, but some scars are just for ever and a day.

boom-moo

[90]Sep 17, 2010
    Best: Le Morte d'Arthur. It's shocking both in form and content.

Worst: Valiant, Lancelot and Guinevere, The Lady of the Lake, The Beauty and the Beast, Excalibur, Lancelot... too self explanatory, they leave little to nothing to imagination.

pcdsa

[91]Sep 18, 2010

Best: Excalibur (love that name) and The Sins of the Father (dramatic title and episode)

Worst: Lancelot and Lancelot and Guinevere (for obvious reasons) and The Moment of Truth (title gave so much hope for the early reveal which alas never happened).

dpebbleson

[92]Sep 18, 2010
    I also like "The Sins of the Father" as it fits the episode perfectly.

I didn't like "Valiant", because, unlike "Lancelot" (which is also a meh..), it didn't introduce a recurring character. They just put a well-known name from the legends for fans to connect with the series. I also don't like so much "The Lady of the Lake" since it was a huge giveaway.

And yes, "The Moment of Truth" is a huge false giveaway, and the only episode where Arthur actually saw and suspected something.

I also like "To Kill the King", it has some sort of a rhythm to it, like a rock song.

illegalferret

[93]Sep 19, 2010

Best: The Witch's Quickening, because it took us ages to find out and work out what it meant!

I agree with the rest of you The Sins of the Father and L'Morte d'Arthur were great titles they're kind ofsinister.

Worst: The Beauty and the Beast part 2, so uninspired!

camelotkitty12

[94]Sep 21, 2010
    • level: 5

My best and worst episodes----

best-- "Sins Of the Father" where Arthur finds out abt his birth....(Or does he?)

Worst......The Witchfinder--where Gaius almost dies.

I realize this may not have been my turn....but I'd like to join this thread. Is there any way I can be notified, when a NEW LIST starts for here?

Edited on 09/21/2010 7:27pm

UltraTraveler

[95]Sep 23, 2010
    • level: 9
    boom-moo wrote:
    UltraTraveler wrote:
    Merlin knew Mordred was being used. If Merlin tried to talk him out instead catch him (death if caught), Mordred would not hate Merlin.
    Well, Merlin didn't try to catch Mordred but to retrieve the Crystal and prevent the downfall of Camelot. It isn't Merlin's fault that Mordred sided with Alvarr, although I agree that Alvarr's only interest in Mordred was to use him as a lure for Morgana to agree to Alvarr's wishes. Anyway, Merlin didn't really have a chance to talk things out with Mordred, did he? Plus I don't think Mordred would have listened after Merlin (even if unwillingly) lead Arthur and his men to Aglain's camp which caused the death of those Mordred loved.

I don't know if tripping down Mordred was to retrieve the crystal or not. But, at time when soldiers were slaughtering everyone, tripping down someone trying to escape was surely gonna make an enemy.

UltraTraveler wrote:
    Merlin thought Morgana knew and deliberatively to be the source of the mysterious disease. If Merlin tried to talk to her and straight it out instead of poisoning her, Morgana would probably think of Merlin as a desperate friend who is out of option instead of a betrayer.
    I am not sure Merlin thought that Morgana did take a willing and active part in the events of 2x12. The Dragon never said so and Morgana was just as confused as Merlin & Arthur. Now if Merlin should have trusted Morgana with his secret earlier on, that's a different story.

Yes, Merlin should have trusted Morgana earlier, in the second season, before poisoning her. Now, everything goes sour. Telling her his secret will be like giving her a weapon to smash him.

When fate of a story is destined, there will not be much surprising/interesting plots.

illegalferret

[96]Sep 25, 2010

Ok this week's is The Best/Most dramatic moment

Mine has to be the scene in The Sins of the Father when Arthur and Uther come to blows, it's so intense!

pcdsa

[97]Sep 26, 2010
    I would have picked that one also. An alternative is when Arthur met Ygraine it was very emotional.

dpebbleson

[98]Sep 26, 2010
    I would have picked the same as Sarah, though the one with Ygraine is, as you say, very emotional and dramatic.

I also like the scene when Merlin poisons Morgana - obviously, not because he poisons her, but because it's so tense.

boom-moo

[99]Sep 26, 2010
    Well, you've definitely picked my top 3 moments. To say something new, I'd go with the moment when Merlin sets Freya's boat on fire. The little hesitance moment (ad libbed by Mr. Colin Morgan) makes me rewind the scene time and again. It's simply brilliant.

dpebbleson

[100]Sep 26, 2010
    Also when Balinor dies, that was a difficult scene to watch.