The Best and Worst of "MERLIN"

boom-moo

[121]Oct 10, 2010
    • level: 75
    Worst three characters
    1. Muirden.
    2. Tauren.
    3. Myror.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

illegalferret

[122]Oct 10, 2010
    • level: 25

Yeah Myror was pretty rubbish! He was like the worst assassin EVER!

Wonder_

[123]Oct 11, 2010
    • level: 4
    The worst character for me was definitely the troll. UGH. If non-humans don't count, then it was Sophia from 1x07. Oh wait, she wasn't entirely human either, was she? Nevermind. xD

dpebbleson

[124]Dec 9, 2010
    • level: 23

I thought this thread needed reviving, so here's my category:

Name which episode of the third season was the best, and which one was not so good? Based, naturally, on your impressions.

For me the best was: "The Crystal Cave" (epic, foreshadowing, excellent directing, ominous atmosphere)

The not-so-good one was: "The Sorcerer's Shadow" (pretty unnecessary, especially the place which it took near the end of the season, where it was anticlimactic)

Edited on 12/09/2010 11:01am

boom-moo

[125]Dec 9, 2010
    I definitely could do without Goblin's Gold, Love in the Time of Dragons or The Changeling.

I can't choose a favourite, but I think that the third block in general has been really good. My favourites are The Eye of the Phoenix, Queen of Hearts, The Sorcerer's Shadow and the 2nd part of the finale.

The rest are ok.

pcdsa

[126]Dec 9, 2010
    • level: 12

I've been rewatching the S3 episodes this week and my opinions are changing. I'm already feeling nostalgic for S3 even though I didn't enjoy it as much as S2.

I loved The Queen of Hearts the most - I never expected how quickly and how well A/G would progress. I thought it would just be lingering looks throughout S3 no public declarations at all.

Worst as in most disappointed - The Eye of the Phoenix because I wanted it to be an A/M buddy type episode - two sides of the same coin - working together. It was more about the Merlin-Gwaine friendship, which is great but I so wanted one episode on A/M the supposed core dynamics of the show.

dpebbleson

[127]Dec 9, 2010
    • level: 23
    I agree, Esther, there were some really unnecessary episodes, especially 'The Changeling'.

On the whole impression I'll agree with Trish: I enjoyed S2 more than S3. Not drastically more, S3 is still a good season, but S2 didn't have much filler, and what filler it had, it used it better for characters.

Arthur-Merlin was somehow missing this season, I think. I don't mind it much, but I think many fans are watching especially for that, so I understand the qualms they have.

I would add that I like the season opener a lot, and unlike Esther, I enjoyed 'Goblin's Gold' a lot.

And yeah, finale was good, even though a bit rushed. In a few days, when I gather my wits, I'll make my own summary of S3 in UFM thread, and everybody's welcome to join in with their input.

boom-moo

[128]Dec 9, 2010
    pcdsa wrote:
    Worst as in most disappointed - The Eye of the Phoenix because I wanted it to be an A/M buddy type episode - two sides of the same coin - working together.
    Disappointed about the A/M dynamics in that one too but the Fisher King/Merlin was terrific. The plot was really clever in the sense that the quest was about Merlin adn not Arthur adn I loved how every piece fell into place (didn't see it coming that the king would have want the bracelet, that the trident was a priceless trophy and that the king had been waiting all along to give Merlin his help). I like Grettir too or the idea of Grettir (since we didn't see much of him). I think it is pretty cool that the entrance of a kingdom is a suspended bridge guarded by someone magical talking in riddles.

dpebbleson wrote:
    Arthur-Merlin was somehow missing this season, I think. I don't mind it much, but I think many fans are watching especially for that, so I understand the qualms they have.
    It was. There hasn't been such a great episode like 1x11 2x08 or 2x12 in series 3.
    Edited on 12/09/2010 12:11pm

pcdsa

[129]Dec 9, 2010

boom-moo wrote:
    dpebbleson wrote:
    It was. There hasn't been such a great episode like 1x11 2x08 or 2x12 in series 3.
    I agree! I love those episodes and A/M (I am one of the fans Danko is talking about ) and that's why I've been disappointed with this series.

I too love Grettir and wish he had a bigger part or hopefully will pop up again. He was my favourite guest character for S3 now that is a new topic...

D-syfer

[130]Dec 9, 2010
    • level: 10
    I have my top favorite episodes list, but I could say that my two most favorite episodes in S3 are "The Crystal Cave" and "The Coming of Arthur part 2". I keep watching this epis over and over just like with S2's "Fire of Ideirsholas".

My not so favorites are "The Goblin's Gold" and "The Changeling"

I like the "Queen of Hearts", "The Sorcerer's Shadow" and "The Eye of the Phoenix" but not as much. The rest of the episodes for S3 are, well, pretty much okay. But I hope they could do more improvement on the story lines next season. They'll be limited to 10 episodes so hopefully they will do much better.

I hope next season will see more of Arthur and Merlin's relationship develop more and no more Arthur bullying Merlin. They can banter each other, which I find really cute, but more on how Merlin councils Arthur into becoming a great king.

ACDiNosey

[131]Dec 10, 2010
    • level: 28
    My top three, (in order), The Coming of Arthur Part1, The coming of Arthur Part2 and the Crystal Cave.
    Worst ones: Goblin's Gold and the Changeling.

Wonder_

[132]Dec 10, 2010
    • level: 4

Favourite: The Crystal Cave, The Coming of Arthur (Parts 1 and 2), and The Tears of Uther Pendragon (Parts 1 and 2)

Least Favourite: Goblin's Gold, Love in the Time of Dragons

Wasn't a big fan of The Changeling either, although I did like Princess Elena.

illegalferret

[133]Dec 11, 2010

Best: The tears of Uther Pendragon (both parts), The Eye of the Phoenix, Queen of Hearts (old Merlin ), the Coming of Prince Arthur

Worst: Not a big fan of Goblin's gold like my Merlin a bit darker and more serious

boom-moo

[134]Jan 1, 2011
    Best and Worst guest character (I mean, characters that have appeared in just one episode, not those who have become recurrent).

I am pretty fond of The Fisher King, William, Princess Elena and Balinor. I am intrigued and would like to know more about King Odin and I think Aredian (The Witchfinder) was excellent as a creepy figure. Tough choice here.... I'd go for either Balinor or Aredian.

I am really meh about Tauren, Myror and even Halig. My choice for the worst is Myror.

pcdsa

[135]Jan 1, 2011
    My favourites are Grettir, Aglain (peaceful), Hengist and Jonas (the perfect sidekick for the troll).

Worst is Myror (useless).

ACDiNosey

[136]Jan 1, 2011
    I think the Fisher King had great presence, and let's not forget Grettir!

I like Hunith (does she count as a guest character or as a recurring one, though?!). I really liked William too.

On the dark side, I'm a big fan of Cedric.

And on a random note, I don't know why, but I loved Jarl the slave trader

boom-moo

[137]Jan 1, 2011
    Hunith is recurring but I love her a lot

ACDiNosey

[138]Jan 1, 2011
    Ah, but my favourite recurring has got to be Sir Leon (sorry, off topic).

Worst guest star... Hmmm Myror wasn't great, but I particularly dislike Dagr and his mate.

illegalferret

[139]Jan 1, 2011

Best has to be the Witchfinder, he was creepy and sinister and Charles Dance played him perfectly.

boom-moo

[140]Jan 1, 2011
    He was amazing indeed, I feel uncomfortable so to speak each time I rewatch the episode, which is a big compliment to his acting.