Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

The Best and Worst of "MERLIN"

pcdsa

[161]Jan 18, 2011
    • level: 12
    Another one I really love is their exchange at the Round Table and how Merlin nodded his support to Arthur after he stood up with the rest. It showed their humour and friendship.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

fantasymommy

[162]Jan 18, 2011
    • level: 9

I loved the scene where Merlin brings Gwen to the picnic...Arthur is at a loss for words when he sees our lovely Gwen and Merlin says something like"...she looks nice?"

Also, when Merlin brings Arthur the rat stew to eat in the cave in the beginning of ep. 13...he starts out nurturing and playful and then basically tells Arthur to stop licking his wounds and do something! (love Merlin:-)

WitchyWeasel88

[163]Jan 22, 2011
    • level: 14

This week's category is 'The best/worst use of magic'. (How you define best/worst is up to you).

pcdsa

[164]Jan 22, 2011
    Great theme . My favourites are
    - Morgause casting her spell on Morgana to enchant everyone to fall asleep in 2.12
    - Morgause bringing back Ygraine in 2.08

Can't think of any "worst" which I am going to mean as a let down rather than as morally wrong. I'll come back if I can think of anything!

WitchyWeasel88

[165]Jan 22, 2011
    • level: 14

I still haven't decided on my favourites from either the good or evil camps, but on the dark side of things I agree about putting everyone to sleep in 2.12. That is definitely one on my list.

I hadn't thought of Ygraine but yes, that is a great choice. It made for a beautiful scene and Morgause used it successfully to bring about a change in Arthur, even if he was eventually stopped by Merlin.

In a similar vein to that I thought Uther's visions in 'The Tears Of Uther Pendagon' were good as they were pretty damn creepy and made for a wonderfully broken Uther.

Actually the "morally wrong" magic strikes me as 'better', for being more imaginative. There is less variety in Merlin's magic although if the criteria for 'best' was applied to real-life, then the ability to do chores whilst reading in bed would certainly win for a couch potato like me .

I think aged Merlin rates highly though, because although it loses marks for the plan going a little bit wrong, I liked the fact that it was Merlin's idea, we caught a glimpse of Merlin use more complicated magic other than his usual handwaving and incantations and it did ultimately work out. Also from a storytelling point of view it added magic to the story in a way that differed from the baddie/monster of the week.

Merlin's ability to heal Arthur is a tad underwhelming due to its ineffectiveness, but I understand why it has to be that way for now.

Anybody who enchants a weapon for the villain eg. Valiant's shield deserves to go on the worst list for sheer stupidity!!!

The goblin spoilt Sir Leon's complexion. Nuff said.

boom-moo

[166]Jan 23, 2011
    • level: 75
    Posting this on behalf of LizzyGlue (Carmen) who has html issues.

Morally Best /producing the best effect:
    Nimueh: Using magic to give life to the Once and Future King of Albion.

Morally Worst / producing the worse effect:
    Morgause: Using the Cup of Life to create an invulnerable army of living dead.

Most dramatic / spectacular:
    Mary Collins: The witch's aria (still my favourite magic scene), as it amplified, put everyone under a veil of spider web and unconsciousness.
    Mary Collins and Morgause: Teleportation accompanied by strong winds.

Least dramatic / ordinary:
    Troll-Lady Catrina: Using a pendant to control Uther feelings and perceptions.
    Goblin: pretty much anything he made people do including farting.

Most manifestly powerful / impressive:
    Merlin : power of Ubiquity in the poisoned chalice, a weak Merlin, unaided by any magical tool, is able to monitor, guide and assist Arthur, though being leagues away from him. We never quite see Merlin as powerful as in this episode in S1.
    Nimueh: unaided by any magical tool, she brings back The black Knight Tristan De Blois in Excalibur.

Least impressive, weakest:
    Morgana: pretty much any magic performed by Morgana, including accidental magic that brought walls crumbling upon and her sister. Her magic is so far limited to starting fire and premonition.

dpebbleson

[167]Jan 24, 2011
    • level: 24
    Pretty much all magic by Morgause is awesome, especially putting everyone to sleep in 'The Fires of Idirsholas'.

Merlin's healing magic is exceptionally weak; also, most of Morgana's magic isn't voluntary, but uncontrolled magic, making it less effective (but not less cool! )

boom-moo

[168]Jan 24, 2011
    I like the simplicity and powerfulness of the dancing flame in Merlin's hand in The Sorcerer's Shadow

ACDiNosey

[169]Jan 24, 2011
    • level: 28
    I like the deep-rooted anger of the strike of lightning in Le Morte d'Arthur.

Worst one? Goblin magic doesn't do it for me... Farts, boils and donkey's ear? No thanks. As far as Merlin is concerned, I really didn't like when he changed the sword into a magnet...

illegalferret

[170]Jan 25, 2011
    • level: 25

I like the scene in The Lady of the Lake when Merlin asks Freya what she'd like to eat and instead of producing the requested strawberry he produces a rose, it's so sweet!

RachelleMcAdams

[171]Jan 27, 2011
    • level: 11
    The best of Merlin is the amazing intro that is well created

ACDiNosey

[172]Jan 28, 2011
    The topic of the week is most epic/least impressive Merlin scene. Enjoy

boom-moo

[173]Jan 29, 2011
    Super tough category!

The first two very impressive ones that immediately popped to mind:

-The moment where he hesitates before setting Freya on fire. I love it to tiny bits
    -The dancing flame in his hand when he tells Gilli how lonely it feels to be magical and having to conceal it. It always raises my hair.

Colin is an amazing actor.

ACDiNosey

[174]Jan 29, 2011
    Well, I meant most epic/least impressive in the whole show, but if you want to concentrate on Colin's scenes, that's fine too

boom-moo

[175]Jan 29, 2011
    Sorry, I thought of "Merlin" as a character

pcdsa

[176]Jan 29, 2011
    Most epic - Arthur confronting Uther in 2.08 about his mother, the whole sword fight and Merlin saving Uther/Arthur. When I'd first saw the S2 trailer with "you are nothing but a hypocrite and a liar!" I was so looking forward to that scene and it didn't disappoint.

boom-moo

[177]Jan 29, 2011
    I agree with pcdsa, I think it's the scene I've rewatched the most.

Least impressive in the whole show is Morgana's character in season 3.

fantasymommy

[178]Jan 30, 2011
    • level: 9
    pcdsa wrote:
    Most epic - Arthur confronting Uther in 2.08 about his mother, the whole sword fight and Merlin saving Uther/Arthur. When I'd first saw the S2 trailer with "you are nothing but a hypocrite and a liar!" I was so looking forward to that scene and it didn't disappoint.

Another vote from me for 2.08 (the Arthur/Uther scene)...it is an amazing show of acting skill and emotional catharsis. I also vote for the 'tongue lashing' scene in Once and Future Queen...

"You shouldn't need to be told to think of someone other than yourself. You're not a child."-Gwen A standing ovation for the beautiful, honest and insightful future Queen:-)

dpebbleson

[179]Jan 31, 2011
    • level: 24

For me the most epic scene was those ten or so seconds of The Great Dragon bursting from his prison! Coupled with the trailer that followed immediately, in which he scorches Camelot, it really gets to me. It was done in the right moment, without prolonging it (like they do other stuff), with cool CGI, with good motivation for what he did, and with devastating effect of killing numerous people. And as I mentioned once long ago, watching Uther's angry but helpless face as he watches the Dragon ruining his precious Camelot is just priceless. And exactly what he deserved!!

The most underwhelming thing for me is what they did with the Reveal, especially the way they've been doing it. I liked 'Power Rangers' but 'Merlin' isn't 'Power Rangers'. Nor 'Smallville' for that matter. But since you're asking for a scene, I'd say every scene in which Clarke Kent Chloe Sullivan Pete Ross Lex Luthor Lana Lane Arthur Pendragon gets knocked unconscious so as not to witness Merlin's skills.

------

The category for this week is: The Most/Least Clever Plot by a Villain. Enjoy!

Edited on 02/12/2011 8:38am
    Edited 3 total times.

LizzyGlue

[180]Feb 12, 2011
    • level: 20

Best plotting

Anything Morgause does pretty much: Putting the kingdom asleep and leading an attack with The Knights of M ( in Fires of I), Immortal army with the cup of life (in Coming of A1), letting Gwen go and using a potion to follow her to Arthur (in Coming of A2)

Nimueh: Sending the Black knight in Excalibur

Morgana: the setup in Queen of hearts

Morgana: her conspiring with assasins (to kill the King)

Myror: taking the place of Sir Alinor in the jousting tournament to kill Arthur in Once and future Queen

Aredian: using Uther hatred of magic to make money, by using eye drops to cause hallucinations in Witchfinder

Alvar: using the King's ward and Mordred, to get the Crystal of N (in Witch's quickening)