Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

The Best and Worst of "MERLIN"

boom-moo

[181]Feb 12, 2011
    • level: 75
    Morgause's schemes in The Fires of Idirsholas and The Sins of the Father, those make for two of my top most favourite episodes.

Morgause's scheme in The Castle of Fyrien and Morgana's in Queen of Hearts were good since Gwen is totally one of Arthur's soft spots, but anything messing up with true love (at least tv-wise) is bound not to be all that successful
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

LizzyGlue

[182]Feb 12, 2011
    • level: 20

boom-moo wrote:
    Morgause's schemes in The Fires of Idirsholas and The Sins of the Father, those make for two of my top most favourite episodes.
    Ooh forgot Sins of the father. Morgause is the best!

boom-moo

[183]Feb 12, 2011
    I think Myror was a pretty crappy assassin though (even though the best in all known lands, apparently). He had to take part on a jousting tournament to do his job (because assassins are good jousters too, of course ).

LizzyGlue

[184]Feb 12, 2011
    • level: 20

Honestly I think Myror is good at his trade: mini bow and arrow,athleticskills, He climbs an upright tower's wall in no time, He's good at making small talk and obtaining info. I don't think he needed to joust to kill Arthur. If the guards had not passed by Gwen's at theprecisetime they did, he would have killed the prince easily. I think taking part in the jousting was a clever way do delay detection and thediscoverythat the death is no accident.

illegalferret

[185]Feb 12, 2011
    • level: 25

Best scheme is definitely Morgause's in Sins of the Father. It's a cunning plan, she makes Arthur trust her then sets him up to do her dirty work and kill Uther, which would in turn tear the kingdom apart. It's all very clever.

Uther's scheme to lock people up in his dungeons is a pretty poor one, i mean despite Merlin's belief that they are so secure, who stays in there?

boom-moo

[186]Feb 12, 2011
    I get it that he is not suppossed to succeed, of course, and that they have to drag the story for the 45 mins of the episode, but he shouldn't have been described as the best assassin in all known lands. He does way better in front of Odin than later on. Athletic and resourceful, that he is.

pcdsa

[187]Feb 13, 2011
    • level: 12
    I too love Morgause's scheme in 2.08 and 2.12. So for a different one Alined and Trickler's love potion idea to enchant Arthur and Lady Vivian and bring about war was pretty devious and hilarious.
    illegalferret wrote:
    Uther's scheme to lock people up in his dungeons is a pretty poor one, i mean despite Merlin's belief that they are so secure, who stays in there?
    I agree especially locking up magical people like Alvarr who can use magic to easily get out and overcome the guards.

dpebbleson

[188]Feb 17, 2011
    • level: 23
    Finally I've got some time to say something.

I like almost all Morgause's plots. I also like Goblin's plot because it's entertaining and funny.

I think Odin's scheme of killing Arthur is rather simple: hire an assassin. Nothing imaginative there.

As for 'The Castle of Fyrien' plot, I feel it's a bit too complicated to work out that well.

RachelleMcAdams

[189]Feb 18, 2011
    • level: 11
    Morgana is a great villian because she is not pure evil as some seem to think She is conflicted, manipulated, and lost while Morgause is evil because she is blinded by hatred and vengeance I think Morgana is one of those complicated and complexed characters who sets her compassion and sympathy off to get what she wants

boom-moo

[190]Feb 19, 2011
    I think that the fact that Morgana is conflicted and easily manipulated makes her unpredictable and dangerous, which is good for the character and the plotlines in general, but I don't think it makes her a great villain because she wasn't able to achieve nothing on her own. However, from the moment she stopped being that much conflicted and became driven by hatred and vengeance (to the point of not minding to get her half brother and innocent people killed) she became a better villain. She plotted on her own in 3x11 and did fairly well despite not succeeding.

RachelleMcAdams

[191]Feb 19, 2011
    boom-moo wrote:
    I think that the fact that Morgana is conflicted and easily manipulated makes her unpredictable and dangerous, which is good for the character and the plotlines in general, but I don't think it makes her a great villain because she wasn't able to achieve nothing on her own. However, from the moment she stopped being that much conflicted and became driven by hatred and vengeance (to the point of not minding to get her half brother and innocent people killed) she became a better villain. She plotted on her own in 3x11 and did fairly well despite not succeeding.

Well even when she was conflicted and manipulated she was plotting some treacherous stuff which is premeditated destruction and makes her actions ten times worse

boom-moo

[193]Feb 20, 2011
    When she was manipulated she hardly did any plotting but following someone else's plans. Dangerous, yes. Great villain, nope (not to me, that is).
    Edited on 02/20/2011 9:35am

RachelleMcAdams

[194]Feb 20, 2011
    boom-moo wrote:
    When she was manipulated she hardly did any plotting but following someone else's plans. Dangerous, yes. Great villain, nope.

She was a great secondary villian

boom-moo

[195]Feb 20, 2011
    Alright, my proposal for this week's discussion is The Best and Worst episode opening, (the bit before the opening credits).

illegalferret

[196]Feb 20, 2011
    • level: 25

Oooh when Morgause wakes up the Knights of Medhir, you know that its not going to end well!

boom-moo

[197]Feb 20, 2011
    And when she reveals to be a woman in 2x08 after Arthur has accepted her challenge

ACDiNosey

[198]Feb 20, 2011
    • level: 28
    Well, I love the camera work on S1E1, with Merlin appearing over the hill and then the camera running all around him as he discovers Camelot... But the best has got to be Coming of Arthur Part 1 for me... I nearly died watching the pre-credit bits...

I'll have to think about a worst one...

boom-moo

[199]Feb 20, 2011
    ACDiNosey wrote:
    But the best has got to be Coming of Arthur Part 1 for me... I nearly died watching the pre-credit bits...
    I know! Spoilers kept me breathing though

fantasymommy

[200]Feb 20, 2011
    • level: 9

Best opening for me is S2 ep 8...(no surprise there, huh?) Sins of the Father

Morgause: Arthur Pendragon, a great destiny awaits you. The battle for your soul is about to begin...

Not sure if Morgause fighting her way into the castle is considered an "opening" or not but it is fabulous all the way...love it!