Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

The Official Merlin Character Encyclopedia Version 2.25 (4-3-2012)

boom-moo

[61]Oct 16, 2010
    • level: 75
    I'm busy so I'll tage Dagr and his partner for now.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pcdsa

[62]Oct 17, 2010
    • level: 12

dpebbleson wrote:
    Lancelot-fans here are pretty rare. I'm not a fan myself, but have nothing against the character, so I don't think I'm biased. If it's okay with others, I'm willing to write an entry about him. Unless pcdsa objects because I know how much she likes - no! - loves Lancelot...

I sure do! In fact he is the character I most want to return! I am devastated that you are writing up Lancelot, see -> . Here is my extremely biased take on Lancelot where certain scenes have been omitted because they have been deleted from my memory.

Lancelot (portrayed by Santiago Cabrera) first appears in "Lancelot" when he rescues Merlin from the Griffin. Unfortunately he gets injured and Merlin takes him back to Camelot where he is treated by Gaius. Once recovered, Lancelot tells Merlin his background and his dream of becoming a knight of Camelot. However the law states that only those of noble birth can become knights. Merlin, wanting to show his gratitude to Lancelot, uses magic to produce a false certificate stating that Lancelot is the fifth son of Lord ???. Lancelot uses the certificate to ask Arthur to train him as one of his knights. After a slow start, Lancelot passes all the tests set by Arthur and is pronounced a knight by Uther. However Uther is suspicious of him and asks Geoffrey of Monmouth to check the records for Lancelot's birth. When Uther discovers the truth he has Lancelot arrested. Meanwhile Camelot is about to be attacked by the Griffin. Uther orders Arthur to kill the Griffin but before he does so he visits Lancelot and tells him though he does not sound or look like a knight he surely fights like one and wishes he could help in his fight with the Griffin. However he releases Lancelot and tells him to leave the kingdom. Lancelot finds Merlin and they both set out to help Arthur. They arrive to find Arthur badly wounded by the Griffin. Lancelot charges at the beast, killing it with his spear, which Merlin has made powerful through magic. Arthur is grateful and insists Uther reinstates Lancelot as a knight. Uther is adamant that the law cannot be changed. Lancelot is upset that he is receiving all the credit for saving Arthur and tells Merlin he heard him use magic to help him kill the griffin. He promises to keep Merlin's secret. He also stops Arthur and Uther from arguing by stating his intention to leave and prove himself worthy to become a knight of Camelot in the future .
    He next appears in "Lancelot and Guinevere" where he has become a fighter for hire. He fights in front of Hengist, his men and Guinevere. He wins the fight but refuses to kill his opponent. He learns that Guinevere has been mistaken for Lady Morgana and is a hostage of Hengist. He unsuccessfully rescues Guinevere and both are sentenced to death by Henist. They are put in the fighters cage ready to be killed by Hengist's pet wilddeoron. Arthur, together with Merlin, rescue them from the cage and they all escape. Lancelot expresses his thanks to Arthur and discovers Arthur has feelings for Guinevere. He leaves in the dead of the night much much to everyones delight...

Over to you Danko to fill in the blanks!

dpebbleson

[63]Oct 17, 2010
    • level: 23
    Haha, you beat me with your scientific unbiased mind!! Actually, this would've been almost completely unbiased if not for the existence of:

pcdsa wrote:

He leaves in the dead of the night much much to everyones delight...

I'm tempted to leave it in the character description, though

Joking aside, this pretty much sums it up. I'll fill the gaps and submit it to Eric (and will do you a favour by deleting 'unfortunately' from the second sentence ; ) ).

Thank you!

pcdsa

[64]Oct 17, 2010
    • level: 12

Well bashing is not allowed and to be honest he hasn't done anything for me to bash him! I obviously skipped over the L-G bits. Please add that final bit even though untrue it is true for me. The double much was a typo mistake.

Edited on 10/17/2010 4:31am

dpebbleson

[65]Oct 17, 2010
    Okay, it'll be done. On to work!

boom-moo

[66]Oct 22, 2010
    I'm done with Dagr and Ebor. I'll do Sir Oswald & Sir Ethan.

ACDiNosey

[67]Oct 22, 2010
    • level: 28
    I'm done with Cenred, and have started updates for Arthur, Merlin, Gaius, Uther and Sir Leon for the first four episodes of Season 3.

boom-moo

[68]Oct 23, 2010
    Done with Dagr, Ebor, Sir Oswald, Sir Ethan, Mary and Cylferth and sent to pcdsa for proofing.

ericsprau

[69]Oct 26, 2010
    • level: 11
    Updated backlog since I've logged in last.

Gwen, Kigharrah, Godwin, and Helena are unassigned.

Esther has Oswald and Ethan. Take Geoffrey of Monmouth also.

AC's got Arthur, Uther, Merlin, and Sir Leon. AC, take what you've got for Gaius when you've finished and hand it over to Danko, who will proof for you and submit it to me.

Danko has Gaius' proofing, Lancelot, and Morgana. Go ahead and take Morgause as well, since their entries will parallel each other concerning a lot of info.

As far as the rest of the proofing, I'll take care of that myself unless you guys wanna go through it here during my absence later this week. Just let me know who's doing what on the proofing end.

As always, try to keep the tenses in line and we should be fine. Assuming everything gets proofed properly, I should be able to update a couple days after 3x08 as planned.

boom-moo

[70]Oct 26, 2010
    ericsprau wrote:
    Esther has Oswald and Ethan. Take Geoffrey of Monmouth also.
    You got it

dpebbleson

[71]Oct 27, 2010
    I sent Lancelot entry, and update for Morgana. It remains for me to do Morgause update, and to proof-read entry for Gaius, once I receive it.

boom-moo

[72]Nov 4, 2010
    Done with the update of Geoffrey of Monmouth and sent it to pcdsa for proofing.

ericsprau

[73]Nov 9, 2010
    You guys are awesome. I have 6 PMs waiting for me and NO time to go through them yet. Haha.

Off the top of my head, we need the following new info from 3x07, 3x08, and 3x09:

Updates on Gaius, Geoffrey of Monmouth, Gwaine, Arthur, Uther, Gwen, Morgana, and Morgause.

New entries for the Fischerking (spelling?), Alice, Evoric, Alice, the manticore, and the little guy from the bridge in Eye of the Phoenix (forgot his name).

I'll dole out assignments on these later, but if any of you want a particular entry, go ahead and request it.

boom-moo

[74]Nov 9, 2010
    I'll update Geoffrey of Monmouth again for 3x09 and take the remaining characters for 3x08: The Fisher King and Grettir.

ACDiNosey

[75]Nov 9, 2010
    • level: 28
    I'm happy to take on Alice, Evoric and the Manticore

ericsprau

[76]Nov 9, 2010
    boom-moo wrote:
    I'll update Geoffrey of Monmouth again for 3x09 and take the remaining characters for 3x08: The Fisher King and Grettir.

Do you know who played Grettir offhand? I recognize him from somewhere else, don't remember where though.

Sounds good guys. Keep the updates rolling in!

Updates on Gaius, Gwaine, Arthur, Uther, Gwen, Morgana, and Morgause still need assigned, for now though they are up for grabs the rest of you!

I need a nap. See you guys later!
    Edited on 11/09/2010 10:31am

boom-moo

[77]Nov 9, 2010
    ericsprau wrote:
    Do you know who played Grettir offhand? I recognize him from somewhere else, don't remember where though.
    Warwick Davis. I know him from Willow but you might know him from Star Wars.

dpebbleson

[78]Nov 9, 2010
    I'll take Morgana, Uther and Gaius updates. Maybe, as a project during the hiatus, we could assemble the entire encyclopedia for the first three seasons in an external pdf/doc file, together with flashy pictures from the show and without, references to external encyclopedias about magical creatures, and other cross-references? Like, Arthur in 'Merlin', but also Arthur in traditional legends, and so on and so forth.

It's just an idea, and it could take long, but then again, the hiatus is really long.

boom-moo

[79]Nov 9, 2010
    I'm not versed in Arthurian legend at all but I will do my best to help with whatever I might be good for

dpebbleson

[80]Nov 9, 2010
    boom-moo wrote:
    I'm not versed in Arthurian legend at all but I will do my best to help with whatever I might be good for

Thanks! Luckily enough, we have most of the material. The pictures remain, and some other references. I'm sure there's some arthurian encyclopedia on the internet which we could quote.

But we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.