Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

The Queen of Clean - Guinevere thread

boom-moo

[22]Dec 30, 2009
    • level: 75
    I actually love the fact that Arthur mostly refers to her as 'Guinevere' instead of 'Gwen'
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pcdsa

[23]Jan 7, 2010
    • level: 12

Angel is perfect for the role.

I love Arwen and this version where they have to overcome many obstacles (including Lancelot, but he can have Elaine). The path of true love is never smooth...

boom-moo

[24]Jan 7, 2010
    pcdsa wrote:
    The path of true love is never smooth...
    And as good old Gaius said, its power shouldn't be underestimated, it can change many things...

pcdsa

[25]Jan 9, 2010

Also, how Lady Vivian inaccurately said but I've now corrected: Arthur and Guinevere ... It is written in the stars. A love for all time. A love stronger than time!

crashingdown

[26]Mar 29, 2010
    • level: 9
    Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the character in general (at least, what they've done with her character on the show). She seems much more...timid than I had imagined her to be.

boom-moo

[27]Mar 30, 2010
    I am with you in that I don't like how Gwen's character has been written, especially when it comes to the Arthur/Gwen romance, but I don't personally see her as timid (even though I don't see anything wrong with her being timid). She is humble indeed, but at the same time she is brave, strong willed, loyal, sensible, fair, determined... I think she embodies a lot of personality traits that would make her a great queen and life companion for Arthur one day

crashingdown

[28]Mar 30, 2010
    • level: 9
    boom-moo wrote:
    I am with you in that I don't like how Gwen's character has been written, especially when it comes to the Arthur/Gwen romance, but I don't personally see her as timid (even though I don't see anything wrong with her being timid). She is humble indeed, but at the same time she is brave, strong willed, loyal, sensible, fair, determined... I think she embodies a lot of personality traits that would make her a great queen and life companion for Arthur one day

You're right--it's not so much that she's timid (I just couldn't think of the word at the time) as that her character isn't written in a way that I like. I invision the character of Gwen to be all the things you stated, but she's sort of been an undeveloped character that they're just beginning to delve into. As for being a great companion for Author...I suppose she would be until she throws Author under the bus for Lancelot

pcdsa

[29]Mar 30, 2010

I hope she pushes Lancelot under the bus instead!

I think Guinevere has a quiet inner strength, which may appear boring. People may want her to be fiesty like Morgana and maybe that's why lots of people believe Arthur and Morgana are better suited. But she did surprise me when she told Arthur off in 2.07. I actually found it difficult to believe Arthur's sudden love for her in 2.04 (where did that come from?) and have more problems with that than Guinevere. I can understand how she was flattered by Arthur in 2.02 but nothing serious, felt an instant strong bond (love) for Lancelot in 2.04 and disappointment at him leaving her and then her admiration and love for Arthur grows from 2.06 onwards.

Edited on 03/30/2010 10:03am
    Edited 2 total times.

boom-moo

[31]Mar 30, 2010
    crashingdown wrote:
    I invision the character of Gwen to be all the things you stated, but she's sort of been an undeveloped character that they're just beginning to delve into. As for being a great companion for Author...I suppose she would be until she throws Author under the bus for Lancelot

I see your point but and I agree about Gwen's character underdevelopment. However, I want to think that they aren't going to make her cheat on Arthur when they are married (if they get married in the show - I dunno for how long it's going to run and that's another reason to support my wish) and that's why they wrote the triangle mess in 2x04. Now they are over it and I hope they stay that way.

dpebbleson

[32]Mar 30, 2010
    • level: 23
    pcdsa wrote:

I hope she pushes Lancelot under the bus instead!

I think Guinevere has a quiet inner strength, which may appear boring. People may want her to be fiesty like Morgana and maybe that's why lots of people believe Arthur and Morgana are better suited. But she did surprise me when she told Arthur off in 2.07. I actually found it difficult to believe Arthur's sudden love for her in 2.04 (where did that come from?) and have more problems with that than Guinevere. I can understand how she was flattered by Arthur in 2.02 but nothing serious, felt an instant strong bond (love) for Lancelot in 2.04 and disappointment at him leaving her and then her admiration and love for Arthur grows from 2.06 onwards.

Yeah, it all seems very all of a sudden. They didn't manage to develop how all that started. But hopefully they are aware of it, and will do something to mend it in season 3.

boom-moo

[33]Mar 30, 2010
    What is frustrating to me is that Arthur and Merlin have had quite a journey together, they've shared a lot of time and experiences and hence they've had the chance to occasionally glimpse into each other's soul and feelings and that parcel of ourselves that we hardly let out in front of others. They've gradually become close and occasionally confidents.

However, Gwen and Arthur had just spent three days living under the same roof and absolutely out of the blue Arthur falls in love with her and soon afterwards she returns the feelings. The relationship could have been explored and developed this season and become a reality at the end of it or during next, providing they would have had given a bit more of background so those feelings spring out of something and become stronger because of something. It feels as if we've missed something, I don't see why the need to rush it. Hopefully, season 3 will have a way better taste concerning their romance.
    Edited on 03/30/2010 4:26pm

dpebbleson

[34]Mar 30, 2010
    They've been generally dealing with romance not quite ably, so to say. Clumsy would be a good word.

Yeah, I had the same impression that it was out of the blue. The only interaction they had before was in 'The Moment of Truth' when we saw Gwen reprimanding Arthur. But from there on to this episode, nothing really.

Surely some sympathies might have arisen, but a full-bloodied romance? I think not.

boom-moo

[35]Mar 30, 2010
    dpebbleson wrote:
    Surely some sympathies might have arisen, but a full-bloodied romance? I think not.
    Neither do I. The scene in the 1x13 book (guess you know there are books both for kids and adults based on the episodes of the show) where Arthur recalls Gwen's words as she was nursing him is way more descriptive about some incipient interest on Arthur's side. I didn't see that much on screen though.

dpebbleson

[36]Mar 30, 2010
    Actually I didn't know about those books... I must be living in a complete bubble of uninformedness Are they any good?

I also think Gwen as a character is nothing special. She is always the same with Morgana, and they also managed to screw up the relationship between the two, Morgana not caring about her 'friend, not just a servant' also very suddenly, and for no particular reason.

I think she has good chemistry with Ambrosius... I mean, Merlin

boom-moo

[37]Mar 30, 2010
    The books are alright. You can see the first ones here and some others here.

I dunno what Morgana's status is gonna be next season so I'm intrigued about how Gwen is gonna be written.
    Edited on 03/30/2010 5:17pm

dpebbleson

[38]Mar 30, 2010

Hmmm... Look what I've found!

Goddess

If only she were back...

Edited on 03/30/2010 5:38pm

boom-moo

[39]Mar 31, 2010
    Lol, each one their own. Bit OT here though

dpebbleson

[40]Mar 31, 2010
    I know, I know... But sometimes it's right to make mistakes