Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

The Queen of Clean - Guinevere thread

pcdsa

[41]Mar 31, 2010
    • level: 12

boom-moo wrote:
    However, Gwen and Arthur had just spent three days living under the same roof and absolutely out of the blue Arthur falls in love with her and soon afterwards she returns the feelings. The relationship could have been explored and developed this season and become a reality at the end of it or during next, providing they would have had given a bit more of background so those feelings spring out of something and become stronger because of something. It feels as if we've missed something, I don't see why the need to rush it. Hopefully, season 3 will have a way better taste concerning their romance.

Completely agree with this. I don't have a problem with 2.02 and their first kiss because of proximity / spur of the moment stuff. To me it was nothing serious but two episodes later (2.04) he is madly in love with her when nothing happened in between. WHY? I wish we had a few more episodes like 2.06 and 2.07 before 2.04 just to see their relationship develop. Actually no they should have scraped 2.04 completely or kept it without Lancelot!!!!

I do however like that there are many obstacles Arthur and Guinevere's have to overcome for them to be together. I find it more interesting that she is a servant than Lady Guinevere of legends.

Edited on 03/31/2010 8:53am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[42]Mar 31, 2010
    • level: 75
    Sure it is Danko

pcdsa wrote:
    Completely agree with this. I don't have a problem with 2.02 and their first kiss because of proximity / spur of the moment stuff.
    Neither do I. Gwen scolding Arthur certainly made him think some things over. And I see how the proximity / following their instinct factor too. Gwen is a mix of flattered and confused. Arthur is a mix of pleased and shocked which was very nice and understandable.
    pcdsa wrote:
    To me it was nothing serious but two episodes later (2.04) he is madly in love with her when nothing happened in between. WHY? I wish we had a few more episodes like 2.06 and 2.07 before 2.04 just to see their relationship develop.
    Agree in all accounts. He even mentioned marrying her!

pcdsa wrote:
    Actually no they should have scraped 2.04 completely or kept it without Lancelot!.
    Well, I'm ok with it if that's all the cheating we are gonna have, or rather, if it spares us the cheating at a later stage of the Gwen/Arthur relationship because I don't see it as Gwen cheating on Arthur. Because after all, it's not like they were together or anything. Arthur kisses her in 2x02, he gives her the puppy eyes in 2x04 as she leaves with Morgana and Gwen looks a bit confused about it, as if realizing that Arthur might indeed having deeper feelings for her than just that spur of the moment kiss. But she never showed she was having any for him. She returned the kiss but that's all about it. She had been way more clear showing feelings for Lancelot in 1x05, so it's natural that the spark lits again when he saves her in 2x04. I think it's only at the end of 2x04 that Gwen is certain that Arthur's feelings for her are deep and true, which is a shock to her. But Lancelot was first in her heart, so I don't think she did anything wrong (or Lancelot, or Arthur for that matter).

pcdsa wrote:
    I do however like that there are many obstacles Arthur and Guinevere's have to overcome for them to be together. I find it more interesting that she is a servant than Lady Guinevere of legends.
    Me too They help prove true love.

pcdsa

[43]Mar 31, 2010

I agree Guinevere did nothing wrong in 2.04 because nothing had been declared between her and Arthur. However I'm not sure she was aware how Arthur truly felt at the end particularly when he said he only came to rescue her because of Morgana. She was pretty miffed. Though that brilliant scene when Guinevere holds Lancelot's hand and they exchange a look, Merlin sees it and then looks at Arthur, Arthur sees them and turns away hurt, Guinevere sees Arthur seeing them and him turning away. Lancelot sees Guinevere watching Arthur - may have been when everyone realised what was going on.

I too would find it hard to believe that this version of Guinevere would cheat on Arthur. I hope TPTB will not disappoint us!

Edited on 03/31/2010 12:36pm

boom-moo

[44]Mar 31, 2010
    pcdsa wrote:
    Though that brilliant scene when Guinevere holds Lancelot's hand and they exchange a look, Merlin sees it and then looks at Arthur, Arthur sees them and turns away hurt, Guinevere sees Arthur seeing them and him turning away. Lancelot sees Guinevere watching Arthur - may have been when everyone realised what was going on.
    Everyone realized what was going on. And same as Lancelot didn't believe that Arthur had gone in Gwen's rescue only because Morgana begged him to, neither did Gwen. She was certainly hurt by his words, but I bet she didn't believe him. She knows him better and the look at the end when Gwen was hugging Morgana spoke volumes.

pcdsa

[45]Mar 31, 2010

boom-moo wrote:
    She was certainly hurt by his words, but I bet she didn't believe him.

Yeah but Guinevere is humble and not conceited that she would more likely believe what Arthur said about Morgana than believe him to be in love with her. She feels his attraction for her but not that it is deep at this stage.

Edited on 03/31/2010 1:05pm

boom-moo

[46]Mar 31, 2010
    Maybe her nature didn't let her believe he was in love with her (and also, the future king of Camelot falling for a serving girl, what are the odds right?), but I certainly think she realized that his feelings were way deeper than she thought and that his kiss was more than a random spur of the moment one. That look when she holds Lancelot's hand, as the sit by the fire and at the end of the episode? Gah, too intense to be fake.

dpebbleson

[47]Mar 31, 2010
    • level: 24
    I think she loves Lancelot, but likes Arthur. But I also think she doesn't know whom exactly does she love, or if she loves at all, or is simply flattered.

I hope she cheats on Arthur. That could be the plot of an entire season and would make 'Merlin' into a melodrama

pcdsa

[48]Mar 31, 2010

She definitely loves Arthur!!!!!

Cheating plot running for an entire seriesSurprised. Outrageous! I hope you haven't given TPTB any ideas...Cry

Edited on 03/31/2010 1:32pm

boom-moo

[49]Mar 31, 2010
    Danko!

Don't worry, pcdsa. I can unleash my foot tapper on Danko and the writers if necessary

I wouldn't like that kind of drama, they have enough elements for good drama without making it soapy.

dpebbleson

[50]Mar 31, 2010
    Hah, you made me laugh out loud

You know, she's got to cheat him some day... Better do it sooner than later.

Don't worry, I don't like soap-operas or something. Or melodramas. I've watched like just a few romantic movies in my life.

Though she would have to cheat him, anyway. IT IS WRITTEN I didn't mean for the whole season to go on like that. I would mean for it to be one of the obstacles to be removed at the end of a season, e.g., for Guinevere to finally make a choice between them.

Whether she loves him: I made a distinction which was not very precise. I still think she loves Lancelot more. He was the first to approach her, they share similar destinies, social status, they understand each other better. Maybe they should be the king and the queen...? JUST JOKING! Don't unleash the foot-tapper, por favor! Though, I wasn't joking about her loving Lancelot more.

Hmm, and what about Arthur cheating on her?

boom-moo

[51]Mar 31, 2010
    dpebbleson wrote:
    Though she would have to cheat him, anyway. IT IS WRITTEN
    Yeah, it is supposed to happen (slthough it doesn't mean it has to) but maybe 2x04 is a lighter/subtle version of the cheating issue so they are gonna remain faithful from now onwards. And I don't mean that I like it fluffly from now on, I want to see their struggle to overcome all that is against their love.

dpebbleson wrote:
    I still think she loves Lancelot more. He was the first to approach her, they share similar destinies, social status, they understand each other better.
    I think that was true for a big part of series 2 (certainly in 2x04) but certainly not after 2x10.
    dpebbleson wrote:
    Don't unleash the foot-tapper, por favor!
    Then behave, mister

dpebbleson

[52]Mar 31, 2010
    If they are keeping Lancelot in the show, then we're gonna see more of the tragic triangle Maybe Lancelot is gonna try to kill her and then commit suicide because he can't have it... Oh, this melodramatic imagination of mine

Don't be so sure, milady, about her love for Arthur being greater. Just wait until Lancelot reappears, hehe Will they ever do sex in this show? I guess not, since it's a family show. But families are not what they used to be

I'll behave, milady. I'll behave.

But just wait 'till I get a foot-tapper of my own!

boom-moo

[53]Mar 31, 2010
    Well, we don't know if Lancelot is ever gonna be back so I'm holding my fort. I don't think we'll have sex in the show, kisses and love demonstrations have been kept pretty prude, although we saw Uther (still and both fully dressed of course) on top of a troll

And I have a big collection of foot tappers, they are quite well known in other forums
    Edited on 03/31/2010 2:15pm

dpebbleson

[54]Mar 31, 2010

Yeah, we had some troll sex.

I wonder how dragons mate?

And I also wonder how volcanoes are made...

Edited on 03/31/2010 2:49pm

boom-moo

[55]Mar 31, 2010
    Catrina did inded mention that Uther had touched her, eww *cringes*

dpebbleson wrote:
    I wonder how dragons mate?
    Kilgarrah is the last of his kind so I guess that question will remain unanswered

I don't see Arthur and Gwen having any sex scene, although the whole 2x01 landing on top of him was quite some adult joke.
    Edited on 03/31/2010 2:53pm

dpebbleson

[56]Mar 31, 2010
    And she looked pretty... pretty in that scene. Or even more I now understand his infatuation even more

boom-moo

[57]Mar 31, 2010
    Lol. I have noticed Gwen appears 'more pretty' in key scenes with Arthur, if you know what I mean. Think of when she breathes deeply in 2x02

We are so doing a little 2x02 rewatch in here

pcdsa

[58]Apr 1, 2010

boom-moo wrote:
    Don't worry, pcdsa. I can unleash my foot tapper on Danko and the writers if necessary

Thanks Esther, push down hard on him if he steps out of line again (only joking dpebbleson!!!)

boom-moo wrote:
    I wouldn't like that kind of drama, they have enough elements for good drama without making it soapy.

I agree! Soap operas are so boring when every couple will cheat at some point in the show.

dpebbleson wrote:
    You know, she's got to cheat him some day... IT IS WRITTEN

Yes but this version is different so it can be REWRITTEN so that there is no cheating!

dpebbleson wrote:
    I still think she loves Lancelot more. He was the first to approach her, they share similar destinies, social status, they understand each other better. Maybe they should be the king and the queen...? JUST JOKING!

Lancelot as king ... having an apoplexy ...

dpebbleson wrote:
    Hmm, and what about Arthur cheating on her?

Second apoplexy...

Edited on 04/01/2010 9:45am
    Edited 2 total times.

dpebbleson

[59]Apr 1, 2010
    Yeah, they might rewrite it so, pcdsa. Who knows... I don't like the character of Lancelot, so even if I was joking, I too wouldn't like it to become true

pcdsa

[60]Apr 1, 2010

I've now recovered. I appreciate that you are just stirring the pot!!!

Yes Guinevere and Lancelot have more in common - it falls into place nicely. But as a diehard Arthur fan I obviously love Arthur and Guinevere's tougher journey more.

Edited on 04/01/2010 10:48am