Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

The Queen of Clean - Guinevere thread

dpebbleson

[61]Apr 1, 2010
    • level: 24

I'm neither a fan of Guinevere nor of Lancelot I'm all for Morgana and Merlin Of course that could never happen. But why doesn't Morgana have anyone interested in her. Why should a lowly maid like Gwen be a magnet, and Morgana not?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[62]Apr 1, 2010
    • level: 75
    The writers are doing their own take on the legend in a very surprising way:

-Arthur is yet a prince.
    -Merlin is his servant.
    -Gwen is a servant as well.
    -Morgana romantic life has been dismissed.

She is still a magnet though. Arthur was attracted to her at first. So was Valiant. and Merlin was stunned by her beauty too (I so was up for Merlin/Morgana too but hey).

Gwen is the centre of the most powerful storyline though and it makes sense that it is that way

dpebbleson

[63]Apr 1, 2010
    Yeah, it all makes sense.

Maybe she cheats him after the story is finished? Which is the canon into which they are going. Though they've already changed pretty much of that canon.

Yeah, I remember. We had Morgana and Alvarr. I wonder if I could write an e-mail to TPTB...

boom-moo

[64]Apr 1, 2010
    Alvarr was pretty much manipulating her, but I bet he found her attractive all the same.

But let's not to go OT since this is the Guinevere thread

dpebbleson

[65]Apr 24, 2010
    I think that there's another dimension to this love romance between Arthur and Guinevere, and that can be summarized as "The Forbidden Fruit".

He can't have her - Uther would kill her.

She can't have him - Uther would kill her (again).

And if Uther utters something about Guinevere (if he ever notices her existence ) like 'Oh those worthless, empty-headed servants...', then we could expect Arthur to like her even more because of that.

The fact they are both forbidden to each other adds to the whole romance becoming a passionate secret of their own. People are irrational, and love is the flag on the top of that irrationality.

Just thought of a Nightwish song that has lyrics like: 'I weep to have what I fear to lose."

Kind of reminds me of the Arthur-Guinevere situation.

pcdsa

[66]Apr 25, 2010
    • level: 12

Drum roll please...dpebbleson, you're not being oh so cynical about Arthur-Guinevere ship. Or is this the effects of the vodkas?

dpebbleson wrote:
    The fact they are both forbidden to each other adds to the whole romance becoming a passionate secret of their own.

Indeedy!!!

Edited on 04/25/2010 3:40am

boom-moo

[67]Apr 25, 2010
    The more barriers, the more epic the love. Providing there's a happy ending, which I believe we'll get.

dpebbleson

[68]Apr 25, 2010
    pcdsa wrote:

Drum roll please...dpebbleson, you're not being oh so cynical about Arthur-Guinevere ship. Or is this the effects of the vodkas?

dpebbleson wrote:
    The fact they are both forbidden to each other adds to the whole romance becoming a passionate secret of their own.

Indeedy!!!

Yeah, for a change I am not cynical about it. But I just wanted to discuss it really, not to make fun of its 'unavoidable ending'. And it's not fun anymore if everything is turned into fun, right?

Apart from barriers serving for the characters to act out of spite, they probably also serve the narrative strategy. If all went well and without blockades, barriers and stops, then it wouldn't be fun, there wouldn't be drama, development, struggle, no antagonists, no +, no -...

So I guess it's both - in the drama itself, and in the technical side to it, so to say.

pcdsa

[69]Apr 25, 2010

Agreed, just want to reiterate what Esther wrote - the bigger the obstacles the more epic the love story...

Moving the discussion from Morgana thread to here. I think Angel has done a great job with what she has been given. Totally believed her as the kooky shy maid servant at the start, her terror when she was imprisoned in 1.03 and in 2.04, her haughtiness when she spoke to Hengist and how she has expressed her feelings for both Lancelot and Arthur. This is why I put her ahead of Bradley and Katie for acting. Obviously direction is just as important, and there was that problem in 1.12 over the grief of her father. Sometimes Bradley is let down by direction e.g. long pauses so he doesn't look natural. But with right direction as in 2.08 he out-acted Colin in my opinion.

Edited on 04/26/2010 9:51am
    Edited 3 total times.

dpebbleson

[70]Apr 25, 2010
    I agree that BJ out-acted CM in 2.08. And overall, maybe CM is perceived as better because he has a greater variety of scenes, he interacts with more characters than Arthur, and it is much more natural for Arthur to act stiff, rigid or 'princely' so to say.

I also find a lot of issues in that grief over her father, it's not nearly as realistic as it should be. I think we already discussed that.

boom-moo

[71]Apr 25, 2010
    The more prominent the characters are and the more plotlines they get, the more chances to have a wide variety of scenes to shine in. Undoubtably Merlin & Arthur cope most, which is fine. I just posted this in the Morgana thread but ven though Guinevere is not brilliantly written (to say the least), she does a great job with what she's got, which is even more difficult.

dpebbleson

[72]Apr 25, 2010
    I dunno, at first I saw some difference in acting between BJ and CM, but now there isn't any that is noticeable to me. They both have their specialties, and are completely different personalities, a fact that is obvious from the documentaries.

boom-moo

[73]Apr 26, 2010
    Johnny Capps said in a recent interview that when casting Guinevere they went for the best actress (hence colourblind) and I like the actress they chose. I dunno if she'll get into some relevant storyline (besides being the future queen of legend) that'll give her a chance to show her acting skills a bit further though.

Guinevere thread title suggestions wrote:
    An Anchor Made for another Ship.
    Arthur's Moral Compass.
    She Knows the Difference between Right and Wrong.
    The Queen of Clean.
    The Noble Queen.
    Queen of Hearts.
    From Maid to Queen.
    Edited on 09/23/2010 3:48am

gizmo-macca

[74]Sep 23, 2010
    • level: 1

its true,Angel is a fine actress.

I think if anyone has a problem with believing that Gwen is black, they ought to look at their massive array of nonsensebeliefs in magic, potions, dragons and the rest of supernatural host of Merlin....SOwhy is it then too muchfor youto believe the tiny tinyaspect ofGwen's skin colour?

The only disbelievable part is that she is a servant. Its only relatively recently that blacks were widely used as servants.Back then she would have been a rather exotic flower.

Edited on 09/23/2010 2:57pm

illegalferret

[75]Sep 24, 2010
    • level: 25

boom-moo wrote:
    Guinevere thread title suggestions wrote:
    An Anchor Made for another Ship. Arthur's Moral Compass. She Knows the Difference between Right and Wrong. The Queen of Clean. The Noble Queen. Queen of Hearts. From Maid to Queen.

Are we voting on renaming this thread?

boom-moo

[76]Sep 24, 2010
    illegalferret wrote:
    Are we voting on renaming this thread?
    We only had a title suggestion but now that there's a bunch I think we can get started. Should we start tomorrow together with the thread you'll open and have the same rules apply? What do you guys think?

illegalferret

[77]Sep 24, 2010

That sounds like a plan to me! I can open my thread with a different character but include a link to this thread and say people should vote on both the Guinevere thread and the one i open.

boom-moo

[78]Sep 24, 2010
    That'd be cool, thanks

pcdsa

[79]Sep 25, 2010
    Queen of Hearts = 2 points
    The Queen of Clean = 1 point

illegalferret

[80]Sep 25, 2010

Queen of Clean = 2 points from me

and

Arthur's moral compass =1 point