Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

The Queen of Clean - Guinevere thread

fantasymommy

[101]Dec 12, 2010
    • level: 9

hummm...it will be interesting to see what kind of 'job' she has around the castle. If she remains a servant then she will need to be assigned a job..

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[102]Dec 12, 2010
    • level: 75
    There's never a shortage of things to do around a castle so she can be perfectly occupied while staying around Arthur, Merlin and Gaius. I guess she'll parade around carrying sheets or food or whatever as she usually does so she stumbles upon people in the hallways.

fantasymommy

[103]Dec 12, 2010
    • level: 9
    boom-moo wrote:
    There's never a shortage of things to do around a castle so she can be perfectly occupied while staying around Arthur, Merlin and Gaius. I guess she'll parade around carrying sheets or food or whatever as she usually does so she stumbles upon people in the hallways.

Yes, she is good at doing 'nothing':-) I wonder if she will continue to live in the lower town....it would be kind of strange if she took up residence somewhere else I suppose...

boom-moo

[104]Dec 12, 2010
    I guess she'll remain in the lower town, I don't see Gwen moving anywhere else just because. She seems happy with the life she has. Elyan might get accomodation at the castle as the knights seem to do, though. Guess they need to be close and available.

D-syfer

[105]Dec 12, 2010
    • level: 10
    Question: If Elyan is now a knight, does that mean Gwen also gets to be come a noble too?

boom-moo

[106]Dec 12, 2010
    D-syfer wrote:
    Question: If Elyan is now a knight, does that mean Gwen also gets to be come a noble too?
    I don't think so, her status shouldn't really change (other than maybe economically since I take it that Elyan might make more than as a blacksmith and probably support her sister although she seems to make enough for a decent living and I don't think she aspires to climb the social ladder) although it could be an excuse for the writers to swing either way.
    Edited on 12/12/2010 11:33pm

ACDiNosey

[107]Feb 25, 2011
    • level: 28
    I've just realised... I think Guinevere is a liar...

In Queen of Hearts, she says that she's spent all her life in Camelot, and that she has never known anywhere else and has nowhere to go. Yet in COA2, she says that her mother worked for Sir Leon and that they gew up together...

Now, 2 reasons why I think she's lying (about her "link" to Sir Leon): 1- I doubt Sir Leon grew up in Camelot given his father his a nobleman. So Gwen's mother would have had to work somewhere else and, if Gwen has always lived in Camelot as she pretends, then that's not an option. 2- I know that's a poor reason, but I think Sir Leon is older than Arthur by quite a few years. However, Gwen is, I reckon, roughly the same age as Arthur, so I doubt she would have "grown" together with Sir Leon, as he would have had little interest in servant girls quite a few years younger than him...

pcdsa

[108]Feb 25, 2011
    • level: 12

ACDiNosey wrote:
    I've just realised... I think Guinevere is a liar...

Maybe Sir Leon's father was living in Camelot serving under Uther? Also Camelot could mean the kingdom not the city and Guinevere was fretting about leaving the kingdom that she only knows???

ACDiNosey

[109]Feb 25, 2011
    • level: 28
    Yeah, maybe
    Sorry, I don't mean to cast aspersions on the future queen, it's just that statement about knowing Sir Leon came a bit out of the blue, and I'm still not entirely sure whether it's true or something Gwen "invented" to gain access to Sir Leon.

pcdsa

[110]Feb 25, 2011
    • level: 12
    I don't think Guinevere would mind . Now if it was Morgana she would probably have your head cut off...

Maybe it was invented though I would expect Morgana to know her background.

boom-moo

[111]Feb 25, 2011
    pcdsa wrote:
    Maybe it was invented though I would expect Morgana to know her background.
    At first I thought that Gwen had made it up to gain access to Sir Leon, but Morgana has said that they are friends instead of lady-servant so I guess that she would be aware of Gwen's background fairly well. True that she didn't have many more options, but I don't think she would have risked blowing the plan by lying to Morgana. She might have found a way to sneak to the dungeon by bringing food to Leon or something and gaining pass by claiming her position as servant to the Queen.

Sir Leon has the king's trust so I guess he won it after serving well for a while (Uther is not the kind of person to trust someone easily) so I take it that he has as well been around Uther for a while.

Maybe Gwen's mother workd as a seamstress or a servant for Leon's mother (or Leon's family in general) and hence they have known each other since infancy (maybe Leon didn't have siblings and Gwen was a playmate) and then they both came to work to the palace. We know that Morgana's father died when she was 11 and Uther took her in, so that leaves the whole infacy for Gwen to have grew up around Leon indeed. And if Leon is a bit older than Gwen, he might have recommended her as a serving girl for Morgana. It really could be either way but the gaps can be filled so the story fits Gwen's words indeed.

BrightlyLit

[112]Mar 28, 2011
    • level: 5

I'm in the US and we have the last two episodes to go here, but I did see 3x13 on YouTube recently. I don't know if this has been discussed yet, but I feel that I detected a difference in Gwen in that episode or am I imagining it? She seemed somewhat the same with Morgana, all sweetness, but we all know she was putting it on. Do you folks feel that Morgana still really cared for Gwen deep down before realizing she was going to betray her? When she came and gave her an opportunity to join in with her was that genuine care for Gwen maybe?

The difference in Gwen's demeanor I'm talking about was noticeable to me in her scenes with Sir Leon in particular. Notice the way she spoke to the guard from Sir Leon's cell and the way she interacted with Sir Leon himself. Is it just me or were we seeing a bit of the queen-like behavior with someone other than Arthur? The way Arthur seated her at the round table and, of course, the last two kisses in front of whoever saw them, and the knights going to fetch her seemed to me to be a precursor to perhaps a slightly different Gwen in Season 4?

boom-moo

[113]Mar 28, 2011
    BrightlyLit wrote:
    Do you folks feel that Morgana still really cared for Gwen deep down before realizing she was going to betray her? When she came and gave her an opportunity to join in with her was that genuine care for Gwen maybe?
    I don't think so. Morgana couldn't care any less about Gwen being killed in Fyrien's plot so I think that her change in attitude towards Gwen might reside in a wish to keep her away from Arthur more than from harm. And as shown when Morgana and Morgause watch Gwen go to Leon, she was just pretending to me to see where Gwen's loyalties reside.

BrightlyLit wrote:
    Is it just me or were we seeing a bit of the queen-like behavior with someone other than Arthur?
    I saw a brave and resolute girl, not really queen-like behaviour in the whole helping Leon out.
    BrightlyLit wrote:
    The way Arthur seated her at the round table and, of course, the last two kisses in front of whoever saw them, and the knights going to fetch her seemed to me to be a precursor to perhaps a slightly different Gwen in Season 4?
    I don't think Gwen is gonna change much in the basics regardless of how much Arthur decides to acknowledge her. I think she is always gonna be true to her humble origins and very grounded.

BrightlyLit

[115]Mar 28, 2011
    boom-moo wrote:
    Morgana couldn't care any less about Gwen being killed in Fyrien's plot so I think that her change in attitude towards Gwen might reside in a wish to keep her away from Arthur more than from harm.

But you would think she would have just killed her outright to keep her from Arthur. Or better yet, imprison her and somehow let it be known so as to use her as bait for Arthur. Also, wonder didn't she think he'd try to rescue his father, knowing Arthur like she knew him. But I guess I would agree, she didn't care a lick for Gwen. Maybe she just wanted to continue to have the services of such a good maid.

boom-moo

[116]Mar 28, 2011
    If she can keep her away from Arthur and retain her services, then it's a win win for Morgana. Plus she is too coward to kill her herself.

BrightlyLit wrote:
    Also, wonder didn't she think he'd try to rescue his father, knowing Arthur like she knew him.
    Well, she had an immortal army defending the castle. She felt overconfident.

BrightlyLit

[117]Apr 8, 2011

I have a question that no one has been able to tell me yet. I hope this is the right place to ask!

Does anyone know if Uther has ever called Gwen my name (either addressing her or referring to her)? Either long or short version of her name. I thought I read that someone said he has, but I thought he never ever called her by name. If so, could someone please let me know which episode(s) and when and where it happened so I can go and see/hear it myself? All I ever hear him refer to her is the serving girl, etc.

LizzyGlue

[118]Apr 8, 2011
    • level: 20

BrightlyLit wrote:
    I have a question that no one has been able to tell me yet. I hope this is the right place to ask!

Does anyone know if Uther has ever called Gwen my name (either addressing her or referring to her)? Either long or short version of her name. I thought I read that someone said he has, but I thought he never ever called her by name. If so, could someone please let me know which episode(s) and when and where it happened so I can go and see/hear it myself? All I ever hear him refer to her is the serving girl, etc.

I've checked this after an exchange in the Quiz thread an I found no occurrence were Uther uses Gwen's name (short or long version). He refers to her as "that girl" (1-03) "this witch" (1-03) "the witch" (1-03) "a servant" (2-04, 3-07) "your maid"(2-04, 3-07) "a serving girl" (2-04) "the girl" (3-10) "the serving girl" (3-10). Hope this helps you.

The Q & A thread is here for all types of questions about the show, and the FAQ's are listed in the first post .

BrightlyLit

[119]Apr 9, 2011
    Thanks! That is exactly what I thought! He never even acknowledged she was a viable human being by calling her by her name. Grrrrrrr.

I'll check out the Q & A for when I'm wondering about something then. I tend to have plenty of questions. I only recently skimmed the quiz recently; hadn't realized it was there. So many good threads and I have to "steal" time to indulge my new Merlin obsession.

peak_a_bu

[120]Apr 9, 2011
    • level: 6

Does anyone know if tonight is a season finale or a series finale, I hope this show is NOT canceled as it is AWESOME???