TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Things to do during the hiatus

boom-moo

[1]Dec 14, 2009
    • level: 75

As we all know, Merlin series 2 is sadly coming to an end next Saturday December 19th Since we have a long 9 month hiatus ahead, I've been thinking of some ideas to keep this forum alive during the break:

1) Episode Rewatching Thread. I've taken part on them in other forums and it works just fine for shows on hiatus or vindication. I think it is interesting how perspectives change once the show has progressed and we've gotten the chance to know the characters better. It is also funny to realize how we are able to catch up on new things when we watch the episodes over again. Sounds interesting to put our views in common, don't you think so?

Now, I need your help and your feedback.

-My idea is to rewatch from 1x01 onwards. I'd open and pin a thread every Saturday entitled "Rewatching Merlin + episode # + title" in which I'd post a little introduction and a couple of pictures of the episode we are currently rewatching. Next Saturday, I'd lock and unpin the current thread to open a new one for the next episode to be commented on.

However, if you guys think that it is better to choose random episodes, I'm fine with it as well. I'm starting a list here with those people interested in taking part in the thread, and I'll keep adding members to it as new people join. We'll follow the order in the list for people to select episodes in case we chose to go for the random selection option.

Episode Rewatching Thread wrote:
    boom-moo.

If you don't own the DVDs or the episodes, don't let that stop you from joining. Feel free to pm me so I can give you a link to a site where to watch them online

I'd like to make clear that we all sometimes just don't have the time or the inclination to rewatch, so if you are interested in taking part bear in mind that it is not compulsory to rewatch and/or comment on every single episode. Anyone is most welcome to join at any time.

-I was also thinking to get started on Saturday December 26th, but if you guys think we should get started after the Xmas holidays I'm fine with it too. We'll have 26 episodes to go over, and some 36 weeks of hiatus ahead, so we can cover both series no matter if we start a bit sooner or later.

Please reply to these questions if you want to join:

-Should we follow the series order or make a random choice of episodes?
    -Should we get started on Saturday 26th or Saturday 2nd?

2) Picture Guess Game. There are no game threads in this forum, so I thought that a picture guess one could be fun. Quotes can be Googled so pictures sound more fitting. Rules are as simple as posting a picture and letting people guess what episode it belongs to. Whoever guesses it right first, posts another picture and so on.

Things to take into account:

-All pictures should be credited as property of BBC and Shine Ltd.

-Before posting a picture, please make sure that you are gonna be able to be around to check out people's guesses and say who is correct so the game can carry on fluidly. Also, if you post a guess on a given picture make sure to be around to post a further picture if you are the winner and keep the game going.

-Make sure that the picture is not almost impossible to guess, it must contain a little hint that helps identify it.

Do you like the idea?
    When should I get on with it?

3) Merlin Follow-Up: It's some sort of a game too. Rules are simple: I post a brief entry, something short of minimum 1 sentence, maximum 3 lines. (i.e. "When Gaius realized he had prescribed the wrong remedy, it was already too late." Whoever posts next, has to carry on with the story (i.e. who got the remedy? what the consequences of taking it are? etc...) You can go funny, romantic, dramatic... whatever.

Things to take into account:

-Keep it sensible, don't force the story go in one direction if the plot is not. The challenge is to go with whatever the others have post before, so don't throw a tantrum if you don't like it.

-Try to keep track of what's been post before not to write inconsistent posts.

-Stick to known characters.

Please reply to these questions if you want to join:

-Should we determine a length (i.e 100 posts) for each story?
    -When should I get on with it?

If anyone has any other suggestion, just feel free to post it. Thanks for reading

Edited on 12/14/2009 11:59am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

illegalferret

[2]Dec 14, 2009
    • level: 25

I think in reguards to the re-watching thread, at random might be better, but if you want to start it with epi1 from series 1, the 2nd Jan sounds like a better day too me. The quote game sounds like a great plan too me! And i've seen stories created on other show's board and they're always a giggle!

Other ideas that i've seen on other boards:

1. You know your addicted to Merlin when? People just post little things they do in real life that are inspired or linked to Merlin eg. I keep singing "Your the Voice" after seeing Colin and Bradley's video on Secrets and Magic!

2. Things we've learnt whilst watching Merlin. This is quite fun, people just post things like "Cupboards are good places to hide when the castle has been invaded by evil knights, or just in general good places to hide everything but clothes!"

I'll let you know if i think of anything else!

boom-moo

[3]Dec 14, 2009
    Thanks for replying, I'm adding your feedback to the list. I'll go with what the majority wants.

boom-moo.
    illegalferret / Random / Jan 2nd.

Sorry, I meant capture and not caption. Quotes can be Googled so there's not actually much guessing there. I edited it to make it more clear.

Things to do during the hiatus wrote:
    1. Episode Rewatching.
    2. Guess the Picture.
    3. Merlin Follow-Up.
    4. You know your addicted to Merlin when...?
    5. Things we've learnt whilst watching Merlin.

I've played those games you suggest and they are fun indeed. Only 4 game threads are allowed per forum so if we get more than 4 game suggestions we'll have to vote on them.
    Edited on 12/14/2009 12:11pm

ericsprau

[4]Dec 14, 2009
    • level: 11
    I concur with the re-watching, but I think instead of watching them in order, we should vote for the forum-goers favorites out of each say 5 or 6 episodes and watch them in that order.

Anyone else feel the same?

Furthermore, I also like the "You know you're addicted to Merlin when..." idea. We could make a short novel of that alone haha!

boom-moo

[5]Dec 15, 2009

Thanks for replying. Here you go:

boom-moo.
    ericsprau / Random.

For now, we could go with all of these ideas.

1. Episode Rewatching.
    2. Guess the Picture.
    3. Merlin Follow-Up.

ericsprau

[6]Dec 16, 2009
    I just had a stroke of genius! How about each week after we re-watch an episode, we play one of those games for that episode? Then the next episode we re-watch we apply a different game to. Sort of a game-of-the-week type thing. How does everyone feel about that?

merlinrules09

[7]Dec 16, 2009
    I think we should re-watch the episodes in order. I think we should start re-watching the episodes on 26 December.

boom-moo

[8]Dec 16, 2009

ericsprau wrote:
    I just had a stroke of genius! How about each week after we re-watch an episode, we play one of those games for that episode? Then the next episode we re-watch we apply a different game to. Sort of a game-of-the-week type thing. How does everyone feel about that?
    Doesn't sound bad to me, it's another option. But we can't do game #2 because there won't be any guessing at all. We could do #5. What kind of game of the week do you mean?

Thanks for replying, merlinrules I added your feedback too.

boom-moo.
    ericsprau / Random.
    merlinrules09 / In Order / Dec 26th.

1. Episode Rewatching.
    2. Guess the Picture.
    3. Merlin Follow-Up.

Edited on 12/16/2009 11:59am

ericsprau

[9]Dec 16, 2009
    True, pic guessing wouldn't work too well. We could have a thread for 4 and 5 posted after each re-watch, and talk about the things we learned and reveal our "addiction" that happened during that particular episode.

Thoughts?

boom-moo

[10]Dec 16, 2009
    Linking #4 and #5 to the episode that's being discussed sounds good to me. #2 and #3 could run on their own. After all, everyone might not be interested in taking part in all of them, so that way we could have something for everybody to take part in.

ericsprau

[11]Dec 16, 2009
    Yes, I was thinking the same. That would be the most effective course of action that keeps everyone interested and not feeling like we are shoehorning a game upon them.

boom-moo

[12]Dec 16, 2009

I agree Let's see what the others think.

Edit:

According to the votes so far, we are getting started in random order on Jan 2nd. Still, votes and new ideas are welcome

Edited on 12/25/2009 9:19am

illegalferret

[13]Dec 30, 2009
    • level: 25

Just checking, are we including series 1 in our rewatch? My wonderful sister gave me series 1 on dvd for Christmas and i quite fancy watching it all over again!

boom-moo

[14]Dec 30, 2009
    Yes, both series. We have some 34 weeks ahead before the show is back so there is enough time to rewatch all 26 episodes

dpebbleson

[15]Dec 30, 2009
    • level: 24

boom-moo wrote:
    Yes, both series. We have some 34 weeks ahead before the show is back so there is enough time to rewatch all 26 episodes

When you say 34 weeks, it doesn't sound that much, but when you calculate that into nine and a half months, then you get dizzy Oh, this escapist fiction! It offers so much, the forgetfulness of the real world and its troubles, but then it's over, and you're left stranded. Whenever I start reading a book series or watching a TV series, I have a feeling that I am born into those worlds. Whenever I finish them I feel as if I died out them.

Anyway, looking forward to this pastime, the forum has been lonely lately, with magic leaving our screens, and this will be a refreshment.

boom-moo

[16]Dec 30, 2009

Thanks for joining us, dpebbleson. The forums are lonely indeed

I'm adding you to the list, if anything to keep track of the order in which we will choose episodes.

boom-moo.
    ericsprau / Random.
    merlinrules09 / In Order / Dec 26th.
    dpebbleson.

1. Episode Rewatching.
    2. Guess the Picture.
    3. Merlin Follow-Up.

Edited on 12/30/2009 5:58am

dpebbleson

[17]Dec 30, 2009

As far as I am concerned, I could go for a random episode and in order. What I am curious about is - I am fourth on the list, does that mean that I am the fourth person to write a re-review of the episode, some new insights and so on, or am I to introduce the topic? I'm sorry if I sound confusing, today is definitely not my day for expressing my thoughts

In any case, I agree to doing both a simple overview and a more in-depth review.

As for the follow up - I think it should be limited to somewhere around 100 posts, or whatever is agreed. Too much freedom could stretch the story to it being boring or illogical, too little wouldn't allow it to develop properly. There have to be some constraints, if nothing, it's entertaining and sort-of challenging to work within them. Those sand-box modes in games were never as funny as campaign modes where you had limited resources.

boom-moo

[18]Dec 30, 2009
    No worries, I'll try to make it more clear for you

The "random" or "in order" refers to either selecting random episodes or watch them in order, for 1x01 to 2x13

I kept a list of those who joined the idea because in case we go for random, which seems to be the case, you'll be the fifth person to choose an episode to be discussed and not the fifth to comment on the episode that is being discussed. I'll go first, then illegalferret, then eric etc... down to you. And if nobody else joins, I'll choose the 6th episode to be discussed and again downwards in the list.

The rewatching episode threads are to be open every Saturday, I'll start on January 2nd and make sure to pm whoever turn it is next on Thursday or Friday so we don't lose track of it.

Thanks for the feedback concerning the follow up, I think it's better to keep it limited as well. Eric suggested to keep it running for as long as the episode that is being discussed (aka one week) and I think that sets a nice limit (might be shorter or longer than 100 posts though, but at least we'll know when it has to come to an end). What do you think?

dpebbleson

[19]Dec 30, 2009

Thanks very much for explanation! It finally got to my slumbered head

As the limit is concerned, a week's limit is okay. Time limit is still a limit. There is still left to define how much we can contribute in a post - a sentence, two sentences, or paragraph. I think the paragraph would be maybe too much, since if you multiply it even with 50 posts it would become epic. I vote for a sentence, or maybe another sentence or two, for the sake of clarity of thought which is expressed.

Every saturday - great! It will certainly bring about nostalgia about the show.

boom-moo

[20]Dec 30, 2009
    dpebbleson wrote:
    There is still left to define how much we can contribute in a post - a sentence, two sentences, or paragraph. I think the paragraph would be maybe too much, since if you multiply it even with 50 posts it would become epic. I vote for a sentence, or maybe another sentence or two, for the sake of clarity of thought which is expressed.
    Please check out the 1st post in this thread, I stated some rules there (open for discussion, of course) but the original idea is to limit the posts to minimum 1 sentence, maximum 3 lines. It makes it more dynamic and fun to play.