Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

This is so awful it must be a "work of magic"

AncientScifi

[1]Jun 26, 2009
    • level: 2

Who wrote this? Is so far and beyond be bad. Lots of potential and all wasted It's just a shame that's all. Ok there is some good in it like..... hmm you think of something.

Edited on 06/26/2009 9:58am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Phantomrox

[2]Jun 26, 2009
    • level: 10
    To each to their own I guess. I personally like the show, and if you give a fair judgement of the show I can accept that, it won't change my mind at all.

butterflygirl8

[3]Jun 27, 2009
    • level: 2
    everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If u dont like the show thats fine just dont watch it. I like the show its different to all the other shows that are on tv.

poulters

[4]Jun 27, 2009
    • level: 18
    Compared to all those horrible reality shows I find this show quite enjoyable. I am watching it with my grandson who started asking questions and has now found a new interest in finding out about history real and fictional - he loves books and shows likes this and so do I.

that70sguy92

[5]Jun 27, 2009
    • level: 16
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but please, don't come to a forum for fans of the show and say how bad it is. Personally, I enjoy the show, and I think it's really great and well written.

maladroitmortal

[6]Jun 27, 2009
    • level: 9
    as far as entertaining, yes, it is. but couldn't they -try- to be just a little accurate? Yes, I know its magic, and fiction, but certain glaring things are ridiculous (merlin getting pelted with tomatoes, and saying "rotten tomatoes" when tomatoes are a new world vegetable that didn't make it to europe till after columbus). Yes it's magic, but its cheesy.

I still love it though.

peach_25

[7]Jun 29, 2009
    • level: 4
    I really liked this show. It's better than most shows that come out. Expecally since a lot of whats on tv now is mostly reality shows which I do not find entertaing at the least.

SludgeVohaul

[8]Jul 7, 2009
    • level: 7
    I was so excited watching the Pilot of this show. I'm just watching it on NBC, but up until now it's been pretty good. I can't say any episodes have completely knocked my socks off or anything yet. I hadn't heard that they weren't going to follow any legends until I came to this forum today, which I don't necesarily see as bad, because exploring the young life of Merlin and Arhtur is very interesting.

I do think the writing of this show can improve immensely though. I've probably just watched too many TV shows, but it's hard for me to enjoy the intense scened as much when I know there's no way Merlin or Arthur or Guenivere are going to die. I think the writers will have to be extremely good in order to make an extremely suspensful episode.

It is fun to try to guess which character is going to be put in prison each episode though. LOL. It seems every week someone gets thrown in there and then has to be proven innocent.

SC_Shadow

[9]Jul 8, 2009
    • level: 6
    AncientScifi wrote:

Who wrote this? Is so far and beyond be bad. Lots of potential and all wasted It's just a shame that's all. Ok there is some good in it like..... hmm you think of something.

You deserve to get slapped repeatedly, very very hard.

Carmykins

[10]Jul 8, 2009
    • level: 12
    Haha, you showed him!

SC_Shadow

[12]Jul 10, 2009
    brookgarden wrote:

Ten minutes into the first episode I thought Merlin was just awful, but I couldn't bring myself to turn the channel. Call it a guilty pleasure.

I'll admit the first episode was terribly cheesy, but definitely can't describe it as awful. It's fun IMO, nothing all that special, but fun enough to watch.

SC_Shadow

[13]Jul 13, 2009
    SC_Shadow wrote:
    brookgarden wrote:

Ten minutes into the first episode I thought Merlin was just awful, but I couldn't bring myself to turn the channel. Call it a guilty pleasure.

I'll admit the first episode was terribly cheesy, but definitely can't describe it as awful. It's fun IMO, nothing all that special, but fun enough to watch.

Just finished watching season 1, I take that back, it's not just fun, it's an amazing show. I love it.

electricpeppers

[14]Jul 13, 2009
    • level: 26
    AncientScifi wrote:

I wouldn't go that far... but it does certainly lack in areas. I also think there's good room for improvement. If you want something truly awful, I'd suggest watching Robin Hood *shudder*. Now THAT is bad writing.

TheCloser4eva

[15]Aug 4, 2009
    • level: 17
    SC_Shadow wrote:
    AncientScifi wrote:

You deserve to get slapped repeatedly, very very hard.

ROTFLMAO.....but that person really does. Merlin is not only fun, but different

jyarter

[16]Aug 5, 2009
    • level: 33
    I personally like the show. I think the main obstacle to liking it is overcoming the total butchering of the Arthurian Legend. So far no single character is really who they are suppose to be in the legend except maybe Uther. Even Arthur and especially Merlin are not the characters the legend is based upon. But it is all in good fun and I'm enjoying the difference of this show to everything else on TV today.

boom-moo

[17]Sep 8, 2009
    • level: 75
    Everyone is indeed entitled to their own opinion but I wouldn't post in a forum only to remark the negative. It is not so hard to do constructive criticism, and if I don't like anything at all, I just avoid the forum. What's the point otherwise?

Anyway, granted that the show takes its licenses for drama and adventure sake (I would have preferred it if the historical side would have been more accurate and the language a bit less coloquial) but it surely balances out for the huge deal of white entertainment it offers

Madelynn1984

[18]Oct 16, 2009
    jyarter wrote:
    I personally like the show. I think the main obstacle to liking it is overcoming the total butchering of the Arthurian Legend. So far no single character is really who they are suppose to be in the legend except maybe Uther. Even Arthur and especially Merlin are not the characters the legend is based upon. But it is all in good fun and I'm enjoying the difference of this show to everything else on TV today.

I agree. I keep thinking, "Hey, that's not what really happened!", but then I remember that Arthurian legend is all fiction anyway, so why not stretch it a little farther for fun. I have grown to like Morgana, and I was hoping she wouldn't turn out to be evil in this version, but the dragon warned that it would be better if she never knew the true extent of her powers, so I have a feeling that she will end up going the way of Arthurian legend.

illegalferret

[20]Oct 17, 2009
    • level: 25

sramv9 wrote:
    i love this show - it just gets better and bette. but it is not meant to be taken too seriously.

Totally agree with you

boom-moo

[21]Oct 18, 2009
    • level: 75
    I agree as well I don't mind if it's being historically accurate or not (even though as someone else pointed out there's not a definite telling of the Arthurian legend). I take what I get with a great pleasure, I really love the innovative point of view of going back to Merlin and Arthur's youth years and it's indeed getting better and better. I am actually having issues without my Merlin fix this week *pouts*