Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

This is so awful it must be a "work of magic"

areith

[22]Oct 19, 2009
    • level: 2
    This show is really bad, it fails on all points except one or two. At first i felt really disepointed, i was really looking forward to a show like this so i stuck with it for a few ep an were able to enjoy the fantasy in the show atleast.. Merlins character is somewhat good imo and this show offer nice entertainment for those who dosnt take it to seriously.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[23]Oct 19, 2009
    • level: 75
    Why is it that you guys find disappointing? The plotlines, the magic, the inaccuracy of the story as compared to other Arthurian legend tellings you are familiar with?

The show creators and executive producers have always stressed that they never intended for the show to be anything else than entertaining, and it really does it for me

Yaspaa

[25]Nov 21, 2009
    • level: 79
    How can it be historically inaccurate when information on the King Arthur legend is so vague,he could have been a cross dressing nugget for all we know. Plus there is a dragon and a talking one at that. For me,they can twist the accepted storyline as much as they wish,as long as it entertains,this is a cracking good family show,especially for fantasy lovers. Robin Hood didn't bother me either,I found the clunky dialogue quite endearing. (I just love the Robin Hood legend) The fact they had an Irish guy playing an English guy bothered me more.

boom-moo

[26]Nov 21, 2009
    There are non English actors in Merlin as well (even Irish) and that doesn't bother me at all.

Yaspaa

[27]Nov 23, 2009
    It isn't the fact he's Irish,it's that he sounds Irish. Tell you the truth this doesn't bother me either.

dpebbleson

[28]Nov 23, 2009
    • level: 23
    I am not sure I understand why anyone would be bothered by Irish actors and actresses playing - besides, legends of King Arthur are of Celtic origin. For example, Beowulf is closer to typical Anglo-Saxon Englishness, being an Old English epic poem. Arthur, Morgana, Merlin, Guinevere - these are all Celtic names.

Yaspaa

[29]Nov 24, 2009
    Yeah,but Robin Hood was English.

illegalferret

[30]Nov 24, 2009
    • level: 25

Yaspaa wrote:
    Yeah,but Robin Hood was English.

I take it that you don't like RObin Hood Prince of Thieves then?!!

Come Jonas Armstrong put on a reasonable English accent and Colin Morgan's is so good that must people are totally shocked when they here him talk out of role!

boom-moo

[31]Nov 24, 2009
    Katie McGrath's Irish accent is not concealed and it's lovely as it is. I don't find it out of place.

Yaspaa

[32]Nov 26, 2009
    It's not out of place in Merlin. Superman has an american accent, Ned Kelly had an australian accent and Robin Hood should have an English accent. It bothers me like 5%, not much.According to the DVD Costner had an accent coach but just couldn't get it, the director sacked the coach and Kevin fell out with him over it. I do love the movie though. Thanks Boom-Moo for the heads up.
    Edited on 11/26/2009 1:41pm
    Edited 2 total times.

boom-moo

[34]Nov 26, 2009
    Watch out the double posting, you could get a warning about it I love the movie too, I never find it hard to like a character if the actor is convincing in the part, regardless of the accent. And the cast in Merlin are totally appealing to me.

boom-moo

[36]Dec 15, 2009
    Alright, let's keep it cool. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion although I would't post in a forum full of people who love the show to remark only the negative. It is not so hard to do constructive criticism, and if you don't like anything at all, avoiding the forum makes more sense. Bashing is not allowed, just saying.

ericsprau

[37]Dec 16, 2009
    • level: 11
    Yes, I fully back what you say up, boom-moo. I know my post sounds a little harsh; but I don't mean it offensively. Ignorance doesn't make someone a bad person, all it is is the lack of knowledge about something. That's how I intended it.

boom-moo

[38]Dec 16, 2009
    ericsprau wrote:
    Yes, I fully back what you say up, boom-moo. I know my post sounds a little harsh; but I don't mean it offensively. Ignorance doesn't make someone a bad person, all it is is the lack of knowledge about something. That's how I intended it.
    That's good to know, thanks for clarifying it The more misunderstandings we avoid the better.

ericsprau

[39]Dec 16, 2009
    • level: 11
    Well and that's were the irony comes into play about the term. Ignorance isn't a fault against a person. But people have become so, well, ignorant as to it's meaning that they just use it as an insult. I don't. I will willing admit as well that I am ignorant in a lot of things. However, when I strive to learn something I do it to my fullest extent, so I am always growing more wise and less ignorant.

I find it really sad that such a versatile word has degenerated into a common insult in most people's eyes. It HAS a time and a place, and it doesn't have to be an insult.

Alright, I said my piece. It still does irk me though for this poster to create an account SOLELY to start this thread and make it look like he's trolling. If I'm wrong, OP, please do post again and show your purpose.