Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

United Fans of Merlin (Join the Magic!)

boom-moo

[1]Jan 4, 2010
    • level: 75

As suggested by Dpebbleson, the forum lacks a thread for all Merlin fans to hang around and talk about all and everything Merlin related so here it is.

Rules are follows:

-What is not welcome here? Spoilers
    -What is welcome here? All the rest: there is no specific topic to be discussed as long as it is Merlin related. Mild off topic is allowed like introducing yourselves, other than that feel free to post anything dealing with the show. Are you a researcher? Share any piece of news, article or picture. Are you creative? Post your icons, wallpapers, manips or links to fanfiction. Are willing to discuss? Post any idea, suggestion, opinion and so on.

Basically, have fun and share it with us

I'll start by posting the art covers for series 2, since series 2 volume 2 and the complete series 2 have been announced to be released on February 8, 2010.

Photobucket

Source

Edited on 10/27/2010 3:27am
    Edited 4 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dpebbleson

[2]Jan 4, 2010
    • level: 23

First of all, thank you, boom-moo, for making this thread possible!

Now, in the manner of similar threads dedicated to other shows, but rephrased to fit the spirit of Merlin TV Series, I proudly say:

--- I, D. Pebbleson, pledge to forever be a fan of "Merlin". I promise to spread the word about this fantastic and magical show and never say anything bad about it. I swear to watch every episode and to never let any other show take its time-slot in my personal television schedule. I also swear to uphold the rules of the 'United Fans of Merlin' thread and to always respect my fellow fans. ---

Keep the magic secret! Cheers!

boom-moo

[3]Jan 4, 2010
    My pleasure

*clears throat and places hand on Merlin DVD boxset* I, BM, pledge to forever be a fan of "Merlin". I promise to spread the word about this fantastic and magical show and never say anything bad about it. I swear to watch every episode and to never let any other show take its time-slot in my personal television schedule. I also swear to uphold the rules of the 'United Fans of Merlin' thread and to always respect my fellow fans.

I have proudly made 3 of my friends in other forum start watching the show. So far they are loving it. Duh, who wouldn't?

dpebbleson

[4]Jan 4, 2010
    Yeah, who wouldn't - excellent cast (Morgaaanaa, awwhwhw!), good acting, beautiful landscapes, fairy-tale castle, love, romance, magic, friendship, myth, a dragon (now, how many shows actually have a dragon? - Tolkien said he would rather live in a world with a dragon, than in a world with a factory)...

boom-moo

[5]Jan 4, 2010
    dpebbleson wrote:
    Tolkien said he would rather live in a world with a dragon, than in a world with a factory...
    Oh me too! And an Arthur if possible... The CGI work on the dragon is fantastic, but John Hurt's voice makes it just amazing. It mustn't be easy to perform just recording your voice on your own without having the chance to interact with other actors, and he makes a terrific job at it! (And by extension, so does Colin when he records his scenes with the dragon).

dpebbleson

[6]Jan 4, 2010

As someone said (I read it somewhere, can't remember where), Colin could have chemistry with a chair. He really is an extremely talented actor.

My list is: Dragon, Castle, Morgana What more would a man want?

boom-moo

[7]Jan 4, 2010
    Lmao at putting the dragon before Morgana! As cool as a dragon is, I'll have Arthur first

dpebbleson

[8]Jan 5, 2010
    It's better if Morgana didn't find out, given how vindictive she has become... Therefore, keep it quiet, I wouldn't want that little assassin Mordred to shoot me down with a spear

boom-moo

[9]Jan 5, 2010
    Lol, no worries. I am better than Merlin at keeping things secret And you are right in that Morgana shouldn't know 'cause I'm afraid you might have a rival in Alvarr...

illegalferret

[10]Jan 5, 2010
    • level: 25

I, If, pledge to forever be a fan of "Merlin". I promise to spread the word about this fantastic and magical show and never say anything bad about it. I swear to watch every episode and to never let any other show take its time-slot in my personal television schedule. I also swear to uphold the rules of the 'United Fans of Merlin' thread and to always respect my fellow fans.

x

boom-moo

[11]Jan 5, 2010

Welcome illegalferret

Some more news:

Colin Morgan has recently finished filming The Island (known for a while as "The Sea Change") and he has already a new project in the form of another movie called Parked. We are gonna have quite a lot of him in 2010

dpebbleson

[12]Jan 5, 2010

Can't wait to see - the quality of the actor surely means something regarding the quality of the film

boom-moo

[13]Jan 5, 2010
    dpebbleson wrote:

Can't wait to see - the quality of the actor surely means something regarding the quality of the film

Most definitely

Have you guys heard about the "A Night Less Ordinary" scheme of which Colin Morgan, Anthony Head, Bradley James, Santiago Cabrera and Julian Rhind-Tutt are ambassadors?

dpebbleson

[14]Jan 5, 2010
    boom-moo wrote:
    dpebbleson wrote:

Most definitely Have you guys heard about the "A Night Less Ordinary" scheme of which Colin Morgan, Anthony Head, Bradley James, Santiago Cabrera and Julian Rhind-Tutt are ambassadors?

Are these the interviews in theatres? If it's so, then I've watched Merlin and Arthur actors doing interviews about the importance of theatres, and about the show as well.

boom-moo

[15]Jan 5, 2010
    Yeah, they've been interviewed in theatres for the scheme by which Arts Council England in association with Metro offers free theatre tickets to anyone under 26, no matter if UK citizen or not (if you just go and visit the UK, you can also benefit from it). It is a super cool project, and it is really nice of them to be part of it and spread the word So UK people, get advantage of it!

dpebbleson

[16]Jan 6, 2010

In the previous weeks I have been thinking a lot about the modern story-telling, and how it is based on inversion. Even works old half a century, like LotR, have inversions: there is a quest to destroy a special object and not to retrieve it; also, it has, in the opposition between culture and nature, given the precedence to the element of nature which is very unusual since the modern civilization usually puts emphasis on culture as a way to separate us from animals. In many modern films (animated and non-animated) women are taking the active role; they no longer need to be saved by knights as was usual earlier, and can themselves save a knight or two

What has this to do with "Merlin" - and with me thinking about the show? Well, I remember when I was kid, it was cool to imagine yourself as a knight fighting battles, riding horses, saving princesses - which I did, as most of other children did. I participated in great many sieges and duels, waved and slashed with countless swords of eternity and life, went into many a dark cavern or inapproachable castle on the hill - and all that in my own bedroom, or in the park. But more often I was in the role of the sage, the wizard, the advisor, wielding not weapons but secret knowledge and insight. Maybe it has to do with my personality, but I was always more Gandalf than Aragorn, and more Merlin than Arthur. (And a bit of an old, good, lazy and unwilling Bilbo )

And here we are! It's not just my recollection or preferences for a more passive role in a story. It's the inversion, and it's happening in "Merlin". The emphasis is not on the knight or prince, embodied in Arthur. He still plays a prominent role, though, amongst others, a role of defining the previously passive in Merlin, just as Merlin was there in those books on King Arthur I read to define with his passivity the active role of Arthur. In this TV series, the true hero is the wizard, or the warlock. Finally we get to see the other side of the coin more closely. Now the dragons words make more sense - they are two sides of a coin because, besides other things, they define each other - one has to be reason and cunning (Merlin) while the other has to be bravery and strength (Arthur). The opposition remains for the myth to function, it's the stress that changes from one pole to the other. And that's what I say: Finally! My time has come! Finally a series that suits my point of view that a wizard is as important as the knight, and the show gradually shows this transition from Merlin's qualities being unnoticed to him becoming one of the pillars of Arthur's success as "once and future king".

The other inversion has to do with showing Merlin in his young age, and atop of that, him being the same age (or slightly younger than) as Arthur. Of this I haven't thought very deeply, but it certainly deserves attention. It provides many new ways to redefine the myth, by adding a new kind of dynamics, replacing the old one between a mentor and unwilling student. But still, there is Gaius, who sort-of restores the balance.

I hope this has not been very long so as to bore you. What do you think? Do you find other inversions, or any other changes in comparison to the classical story-telling?

Edited on 01/06/2010 11:10am

boom-moo

[17]Jan 6, 2010
    Didn't bore me at all

dpebbleson wrote:
    Do you find other inversions, or any other changes in comparison to the classical story-telling?
    Not sure if this will count as an inversion in the same way you've explained yours, but I think that the whole Lancelot/Guinevere plotline has been brought up early in the show to grant a happy ending for Arthur and Guinevere. As I see it, they wrote it in to be truthful to the legend as we know it, but since they are not certain for long the show will run, they can develop the Arthur/Gwen now so whenever it ends it does in a positive note.

dpebbleson

[18]Jan 7, 2010

Yeah, you're right, the thing with Lancelot is supposed to happen after Guinevere and Arthur are married. But they cleverly put it before that.

By the way, I don't think these changes are bad, or that they ruin the myth. They just retell it in a different way. Who says Thomas Malory didn't change something in his Le Morte d' Arthur? And I remember when we did old Anglo-Saxon poetry at classes, like The Wanderer, it's a classical pagan epic, but the scribe that was in charge of writing it down added extra verses at the end so it could fit the Christian world-view of the time. I think that a similar thing was done with Beowulf. So it's completely legit to transform the myths so that they fit the age in which they are actually told.

And I've also heard people talking about inaccuracies. This is a fantasy show - everything is allowed in the world of fantasy, and this world doesn't need to be consistent with ours, but with itself (e.g. if you can't kill a beast without magic in an episode, then if the same beast reappears, you still can't kill it without magic).

boom-moo

[19]Jan 7, 2010
    I don't think the changes are bad either, one of the biggest pillars of the show is precisely the fact that its take on the Arthurian legend is a very original and unexplored one. Anyone who has watched "The Real Merlin and Arthur" can tell that tellings of the myth are countless and that Geoffrey of Monmouth was clever enough as to pick up the best of a several sources and create a legend of his own. The best thing about fantastic worlds is that everything fits and everything is possible because they follow their own rules. And I wouldn't have it any other way

The_void_68

[20]Jan 9, 2010
    • level: 18
    Hey, great to see a general thread up! I completely agree about the "historical innacuracies" How can something set in a fictional world and time be historically innacurate?