Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

United Fans of Merlin (Join the Magic!)

boom-moo

[81]Jan 28, 2010
    • level: 75
    To me the Old Religion is not any kind of religious cult at all, it is just the practice of magic. Nimueh has been referred to as a high priestess of the OR because she masters powerful magic, and Merlin has been referred as a creature of the OR too. OR equals magic, not a religious cult (spiritual believings) as we know it.

Hence I don't think there is a New Religion as per se, there is not a new kind of magic. The OR is "old" because it's something that has come down from fathers to sons probably since forever. Apparently it can be taught somehow, but you need to have been born a magical creature.

As for the religious cult at practice, if any, it hasn't been clearly stated or defined. I guess TPTB didn't make it clear to keep it "politically correct" and don't favour one instead of the other. Or maybe just because they ignore what existed at the time. Societies are becoming multicultural so keeping it secular was a clever decision.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dpebbleson

[82]Jan 28, 2010
    • level: 23
    boom-moo wrote:
    To me the Old Religion is not any kind of religious cult at all, it is just the practice of magic. Nimueh has been referred to as a high priestess of the OR because she masters powerful magic, and Merlin has been referred as a creature of the OR too. OR equals magic, not a religious cult (spiritual believings) as we know it.

Hence I don't think there is a New Religion as per se, there is not a new kind of magic. The OR is "old" because it's something that has come down from fathers to sons probably since forever. Apparently it can be taught somehow, but you need to have been born a magical creature.

As for the religious cult at practice, if any, it hasn't been clearly stated or defined. I guess TPTB didn't make it clear to keep it "politically correct" and don't favour one instead of the other. Or maybe just because they ignore what existed at the time. Societies are becoming multicultural so keeping it secular was a clever decision.

Yes, I agree with you that it is a substitute word for magic; but then again, why call it Religion? And why call Nimueh a priestess and not just sorceress (which she is called)? I think of magic in the terms of Old Religion as something given in return for respecting Nature, the Supreme Divine Being of that religion. Even in paganism, people were praying to gods to grant them some special strength or ability; and even in Christianity, you've got the phrase "God, give me strength to endure..." So in my opinion, magic is derived from Old Religion, granted by an unknown deity.

As for the second argument, I agree. TPTB (yay, I'm using the term with full understanding ) is probably being politically correct, so as not to provoke anyone; but it also helps put the world of Camelot into more universal frame of fight between good and evil, regardless of any race of religion.

boom-moo

[83]Jan 28, 2010

Old Religion sounds mysterious, ancient, timeless, powerful... it adds a lot to magic.

Lookie who's gone to the movies!

dpebbleson

[84]Jan 28, 2010

Hehe.

I've watched Lovely Bones and didn't quite like it. It is ripe with illogical things, at times it has no actions whatsoever, not to mention the morbid dimension of it. But that's maybe just my impression.

So, I bet he's smiling before the screening

boom-moo

[85]Jan 28, 2010
    dpebbleson wrote:
    So, I bet he's smiling before the screening
    Lmao, looks like the arrival indeed I haven't watched the movie but staring at Colin is quite a pleasure in itself.

dpebbleson

[86]Jan 28, 2010
    Ahem, I'm his age, so would you please stare at me??? I know I'm not a TV star, and not from Ireland - but I can read Old English and trick you into thinking I know magic!

boom-moo

[87]Jan 28, 2010
    *Pictures Danko wih red scarf and holding out his hand* *is tricked*

*stares*

dpebbleson

[88]Jan 28, 2010

Hehehehe, as always you are making my day... or night

*pictures Esther dressed like a certain King's ward* *tricked*

*stares* *stares* *stares* if only I could stop staring... *stares* *stares* *stares*....

boom-moo

[89]Jan 28, 2010

Lmfao! You are making me blush!

I can't deny I love Morgana's dresses, she looks absolutely stunning in her white/silver one.

For everyone to stare at, play with etc, we are soon getting Merlin action figurines and a playset! Check this out.

dpebbleson

[90]Jan 28, 2010
    Morgana is beautiful in whatever she wears

boom-moo

[91]Jan 28, 2010
    She is indeed I believe Katie's natural hair colour is blonde though and she has to dye it every two weeks or so. Did you know that?

dpebbleson

[92]Jan 28, 2010
    No, actually I didn't... And it's hard to imagine her other than pale-faced and raven-haired...

boom-moo

[93]Jan 28, 2010
    I know, it surprised me too. I'll try to find the interview between the massive content of my Merlin external hard drive

illegalferret

[94]Feb 1, 2010
    • level: 25
    I've just got an email from Amazon offering me the complete series 2 of Merlin at a discount price!! How did it know i wanted it?! Seriously weird! Now just got work out if i have the money...

boom-moo

[95]Feb 1, 2010
    boom-moo wrote:
    I know, it surprised me too. I'll try to find the interview between the massive content of my Merlin external hard drive
    About this, my laptop is being upgraded and implemented so I'll search for it when I have it back.

That is really cool, Sarah Must have been magic Keep saving because I've read that together with season 3 we are gonna get tons of merchandise including bags and whatnot

dpebbleson

[96]Feb 3, 2010
    Okay, about the Witch's Aria, since I cannot talk at length in the other thread... It was amazing, really, when I first heard it, I was stunned. A very beautiful composition by all means. I mean, the first episode, it's not perfect, well, the whole first season's not perfect, but The Witch's Aria really stuck out, it saved the day. Of course, I would've continued watching 'Merlin' for other reasons, but that song! I put into my mp3 player immediately. You can see they really invested some effort in it!

boom-moo

[97]Feb 3, 2010

Hey Danko How are you today? *hugs* I absolutely fell straightaway for the Witch's Aria too, together with the fight at the market piece and Merlin's Arrival to Camelot and Fight in the Market.

According to the audio commentary by the executive producers, the scene took a long while to be filmed since different paces were required and motion control was needed in the tracking shots. They also mention that the song is performed by an opera soprano and that the lyrics are just nonsense (which totally surprised me). The song is supposed to be about the hurt of a mother who has lost her son.

Edit: I am off for the night, I want to read a bit before bedtime. Gnight all

Edited on 02/03/2010 5:53pm

dpebbleson

[98]Feb 3, 2010

Oh hey Esther! Haven't seen you for centuries!

So they say it's nonsense? I think I hear in the lyrics a word arachniae or something like that mentioned, which would actually mean spider in Latin, I think. That goes really well with all that white thing going over everybody.

What I also noticed is how strangely they pronounce Old English words. Not that I am gonna teach Brits how they should pronounce Old English, but at the faculty the professor played us audio samples that were taped at some British University. And there was this word ymbsittendra - which appears in Apollonius of Tyre text, and means "those sitting around" (since it's some celebration at the king's court and the king's daughter is greeting everyone sitting around), and Merlin or whoever does the magic pronounces it somehow distorted.

I don't know if magic words make some sense as I don't have much wider knowledge than pronunciation and recognition, though when Morgause puts Morgana to sleep she says something like forsleppen I think which reminds of sleep.

And yeah, I remember from these classes and from the same text when I was asked to translate the moment when king addresses his daughter, I think it goes sth like this:

Leofe dohtor, fetchan harfan... Which I translated, 'Dear doctor, fetch me... fetch me...' (I had no idea what harfan was )

But it translates as 'Dear daughter, fetch the harp'... and play the music for the guests or something like that.

And I also remember I liked Old English very much, and I think it sounds much better than Modern English, but that just may be a matter of tastes.

So, leofe Esther, delivere us from yvele I think you can guess what that means

Edited on 02/03/2010 6:02pm
    Edited 2 total times.

boom-moo

[99]Feb 4, 2010
    dpebbleson wrote:
    Oh hey Esther! Haven't seen you for centuries!
    Indeed, last time we spoke in Old English right?

My Old English is way beyond rusty, although I can recognize some things in Merlin's spells. Not so much in the song though. The producers mention that they made up the lyrics for the aria to sound nicely, so probably they threw Old English words here and there randomly.

About how Old English words are pronounced, the producers do also mention that the show is in a good working relationship with some of the UK's leading historians who assist with Anglo-Saxon and Medieval English. According to them everyone of the spells is proper Old English. We have to take into account though that there's no evidence of how it was pronounced back then, so I guess there might be different interpretations floating around. I studied Old English at University College Cork in Ireland and it didn't quite sound like the aria either but it does sound a lot like Merlin's, Sigan's and Morgause's spells.

I wasn't a big fan of Old English (I fell in love with Irish and Yeats and that took most of my energy and time) but when I started watching Merling I became interested in compiling all the spells and as I was doing some research I found a compilation online. Let me know if you are interested, I saved them

So, leofe Danko, I have a feeling that we sound like a pair of weirdoes

dpebbleson

[100]Feb 4, 2010

Leofosta Esther, we probably do sound like a pair of weirdoes. We could talk in OE - if only I knew it enough to form statements independently. About those pronunciations, you are probably right, no one knows how exactly that was pronounced, and there are several versions of the same text. I think Caedmon's hymn had, like, three different versions with different spelling pronunciation etc.

Which means they are probably using the version I didn't study... Which means that ymbsittendra was probably written ymbsittendren or something like that... It's the end of the world for me...

So, you like Irish poets... Wait, I need to hop into the other thread to ask you this!