Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

United Fans of Merlin (Join the Magic!)

boom-moo

[101]Feb 4, 2010
    • level: 75
    I couldn't talk in OE, it's almost all gone by now. I still keep my text books and exercises at the attic, I should really dust those. If only my days would have more than 24 hours!

I guess those experts and historians are consistent to their own version of OE. In any case, I really like the fact that the executive producers bothered to seek for their assistance instead of just making up random nonsensical spells This show is so cool!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dpebbleson

[102]Feb 8, 2010
    • level: 23

I think my favourite scene in all Merlin episodes is the moment when the Great Dragon is finally released. It lasts for several seconds only, but it is so majestic! Being kept under the earth in some prison cave for twenty years, and finally a breath of freedom, finally a time for revenge! And Uther's face as he watches yet another of his misdeeds coming back to him at twice the price is priceless itself!

Not to justify killing innocent people, but I can understand his need to take revenge. If I were at his place I would surely do the same thing. And his release, and following reaction by destruction, speaks a lot for all the repressed people, who have some bosses and teachers, and professors, and higher committees, who think they have right to decide on their destiny, and think that they can forever do their will, and coerce those they think lower.

If only more people watched Merlin, I think that a proverb could be made that would mean just that - beware the forces that lie in the nature, and not just nature as landscape around us, but that lie in man's nature, for these forces are much greater than one would imagine, and if provoked, they can be released at great cost for the coercer.

So the proverb could go: "Beware the captive dragon!" For if released, he will fight you back with pitiless intensity...

Edited on 02/08/2010 6:16am
    Edited 2 total times.

boom-moo

[103]Feb 8, 2010

I agree with you, Danko. Who can blame the dragon after having been witnessed the death of every other of his kin and having been chained for 20 years, right? And as far as we know, all for being himself, just a dragon.

One of the reasons why I love this show is because I can relate to almost every character. Generally speaking, there aren't good or evil characters but just characters driven by their circumstances. I sympathise with most.

And here's a pressie in the form of some Behind The Scenes from the series 2 DVD 2 boxset. Enjoy!

dpebbleson

[104]Feb 8, 2010
    Yeah, and that adds the real dimension to it, because in life, people aren't really evil. One could say that sometimes they are being evil, and sometimes they are being good. All in all they are just humans. (I'm not talking about serial killers and psychopaths, but even for them there is some explanation behind their disturbances).

This was so funny!

K. McGrath: I'm going to die! (smiling! )

But that horse at the end looks a bit scared in the eyes...

boom-moo

[105]Feb 8, 2010
    Katie looks stunning in that fur coat hood thing!

I agree, the horse looks scared but I think that is because we aren't used to seeing horses looking to their sides. I dunno how to explain it but they don't often show the white part of the eyeball and that makes their stare look weird. Crappy explanation

dpebbleson

[106]Feb 8, 2010
    Yeah, probably, don't worry it's not crappy, you tried to make some sense of it. Horses are very beautiful creatures, and to think what they had to endure across the centuries...

Yup, Katie is stunning! As always!

I really should stop bantering about her, if I ever happen to go to UK, they will probably arrest me for being such a stalker

boom-moo

[107]Feb 8, 2010
    I live in Spain where some make abusing animals an 'art'

Anyway, I'll tag along in that trip to the UK and stalk Bradley myself if you don't object And we should be polite and pay Sarah a visit

Random question of the day: I just found this picture and I'm not sure what episode does it belong to. Could it be The Fires of Idirsholas?

Photobucket

dpebbleson

[108]Feb 8, 2010
    Ah, yes, the toreadors, bull-fighting and such... You're right, it is torturing animals. One has to have an animal - a pet, for example - to see how much soul they really have, and how much much better they can be to you than any human can.

No, I don't object. I'll let you know if ever I get the chance to go there. Then Sarah would be able to make us those tasty cookies of hers

It should be "The Fires of Idirsholas" with all these people lying down. But where is that strap around Merlin's arm to stop bleeding? Maybe it's just consistency error. Otherwise it would have to be Dragon attacking.

boom-moo

[109]Feb 8, 2010
    dpebbleson wrote:
    One has to have an animal - a pet, for example - to see how much soul they really have, and how much much better they can be to you than any human can.
    I absolutely agree

dpebbleson wrote:
    Then Sarah would be able to make us those tasty cookies of hers
    Lol, she should master baking them Merlin cast shaped by then

dpebbleson wrote:
    It should be "The Fires of Idirsholas" with all these people lying down. But where is that strap around Merlin's arm to stop bleeding? Maybe it's just consistency error. Otherwise it would have to be Dragon attacking.
    That's what I thought but Merlin is not wearing the cloth bandage thing and also he hops the stairs before Arthur does and then he calls Arthur to join him from the door. It could be rehearsing or something but I can't pinpoint it and it's driving me bananas.

pcdsa

[110]Feb 8, 2010
    • level: 12

boom-moo wrote:
    Random question of the day: I just found this picture and I'm not sure what episode does it belong to. Could it be The Fires of Idirsholas?

Yes it is, I've just checked - youtube video here look at 3.00 minutes into video - see the same bodies lying on the floor and at 3.06 Merlin's arm has no cloth, the tear on sleeve is vertical and so is hidden from your picture.

Edited on 02/08/2010 10:40am

boom-moo

[111]Feb 8, 2010
    Thank you Looks like it indeed. We get to see the take from a different angle, which is always confusing. *saves picture properly*

illegalferret

[112]Feb 8, 2010
    • level: 25

Yeah you should all come over to little GB and we could go Merlin stalking! Then i could feed up all on cookies that if you squint slightly and tilt your head to the side look like the dung Merlin once slept in by mistake!

boom-moo

[113]Feb 8, 2010
    Lmfao Sarah! Well, in the link I posted you can see Colin licking on the fake dung so I bet he'd love the cookies And we should all go see the Round Table!

dpebbleson

[114]Feb 11, 2010
    I've thought a bit about these rewatching threads. I have something to suggest - propose - and it is not in any way binding, and I won't insist upon it a lot, and here it is:

Since we started with "The Dragon's Call", wouldn't it be cool to end the rewatching with the last episode, "The Last Dragonlord", since it would, in a way, complete the circle?

I know this goes against the rule of random choices, and I agree with that, and as I said, I don't insist on it becoming the official rule, but I'm interested in what you all think about it.

Cheers!

boom-moo

[115]Feb 11, 2010
    Makes sense, I don't mind at all I can go either way so as we usually do, let's go with the majority. It's not many of us around so it always makes things easier.

pcdsa

[116]Feb 12, 2010

I like going in the random order. It keeps me guessing and I can't wait to find out which episode we are watching on Saturday (eagerly waiting for tomorrow). But yes, I agree it is fitting to finish with The Last Dragonlord.

---------------

Post edit: Just ordered the box set for series 2 - will be arriving on Tuesday... cannot wait...

I've know Bradley, Colin and Anthony Head have done the audio commentary for Sins of the Father .Check out here for a taster.

Also Katie for The Fires of Idirsholas?

Have you guys heard anything else?

Edited on 02/13/2010 7:53am
    Edited 3 total times.

boom-moo

[117]Feb 13, 2010

I'm so sorry I haven't seen your edits before. They have been aroud for a while ago.

208 The Sins of the Father: Bradley, Colin and Anthony do the audio commentary.

210 Sweet Dreams: Angel, Bradley, Julian Murphy (executive producer) and Alice Throughton (episode director) do the audio commentary.

211 The Witch's Quickening: Katie, Julian Murphy (executive producer) and Alice Throughton (episode director) do the audio commentary.

212 The Fires of Idirsholas: Colin, Katie and Jeremy Webb (episode director) do the audio commentary.

You can download them here

pcdsa

[118]Feb 13, 2010

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

I'm so happy - audio commentaries for my three favourite episodes of series 2 - 2.08, 2.10 and 2.12 and Bradley on 2.08 and 2.10 (bliss).

I'm going to be good and wait for my box set ... ooooooooooooh ... well maybe ... just a tiny listen...

boom-moo

[119]Feb 13, 2010

pcdsa wrote:
    well maybe ... just a tiny listen...
    Lol! I'm really happy with the choices too, I would have loved one for 213 too but oh well, we can't have everything.

Edit: Please pcdsa, let me know when you have listened to the 2x11 audio commentary. There is something I don't get.

Has anyone else listened to them?

Edited on 02/14/2010 11:53pm

pcdsa

[120]Feb 15, 2010

I was planning to listen to 2.11 last, one of my least favourite episodes because I didn't like how Arthur treated Merlin in that episode (I'll wait for the rewatch week when you'll get my full rant). But I've listended to a tiny, tiny bit of 2.08 and Bradley, Colin and Anthony are so hilarious - and it starts with "Hi Merlin fans"and them humming away to the theme tune during the titles. Brilliant! But I want to listen and watch the DVD to get the full picture.

--

Post edit: OK now listened to all of 2.08 - will comment properly after listening with the DVD. Then I will check out 2.11.

Edited on 02/15/2010 3:26am