Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

United Fans of Merlin (Join the Magic!)

boom-moo

[121]Feb 15, 2010
    • level: 75
    Alright, no rush. There are a lot of things worth commenting apart from a couple I din't understand I'm glad you are also interested in listening to them so I have someone to discuss them with

pcdsa wrote:
    (I'll wait for the rewatch week when you'll get my full rant).
    Can't wait!

I agree, Bradley, Colin and Anthony are absolutely hilarious together. the 2x08 commentary is really great Anthony's constant laughter makes me giggle all the time! Katie's comments disappointed me (she only tries to defend her character once and again) and Alice Throughton's voice is just irritating
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dpebbleson

[122]Feb 16, 2010
    • level: 23
    I've just seen Esther's "you know you are addicted..." post about dubbed episodes, and thought these dubbed episodes, and also films, are a really stupid idea. I know, I know, they say they do it for commercial reasons, protection of native languages and what not, but that's just stupid, because these dubbed versions always sound so empty. I mean, the actor is not just the mimics and gestures, it's also the voice, the tone, the diction that comes with his performance, and if that is just left out, and replaced by some random voice, more than half is lost. Here in Serbia, they don't do dubbed voices (they just did one season of some series, and got a bad reception, so they gave up), so we are kind of lucky, but I noticed that across Europe (e.g. Germany and Italy) and also across the world they are dubbing everything. And these dubbing actors often have no idea of what that film is, or take time to get the feeling, they just "do their work". Therefore it sounds at the same time, funny, superficial, emotionless, dumb, and definitely "not how it should be"...

What are these 'Merlin' dubs like? I think I saw Russian dub for a promo for season 2, and of course, it was hilarious to me...

boom-moo

[123]Feb 16, 2010
    Sadly, here they dub everything. Which apart from absolutely ruining the original performances and the vibe of the show, makes the shows air with a huge delay in comparison with other countries.

I would love to get just subtitles (almost no one knows English here) but people don't seem to like the idea. Luckily my tv allows doing so, which is a great relief.

There are plenty of Merlin videos in Youtube in Spanish, French, Italian, Japanese and whatnot

I've been rewatching 209 The Lady of the Lake and I wonder: if Freya turns into a beast at midnight and Halig captured her some days before arriving to Camelot, she could have easily escaped from the cage before when turning a beast, right? A magical beast sounds strong enough to break the chains. Also, Halig is surprised when he witnesses her turning into a beast, so I guess she conveniently didn't turn a beast while in the cage. Is it me or she is supposed to turn a beast every day at midnight? She does so while harboured in Camelot.

pcdsa

[124]Feb 16, 2010
    • level: 12

boom-moo wrote:
    Is it me or she is supposed to turn a beast every day at midnight?

Yes, she does because Gaius said so to Merlin. I initially thought she was a werewolf and only turned during a full moon. But no her curse is every midnight. Maybe Halig was in a drunken sleep so he couldn't hear her. And the beast couldn't break through the chains??? I do like how we try to explain away all these inconsistencies.

---

Got my box set this afternoon (yay!). Listened to audio commentaries of 2.08 and 2.11 - they contrast very much because 2.11 is so much more serious. So what questions do you have about 2.11, boom-moo?

Loved in 2.08 Anthony saying 'Bradders' and Bradley saying 'Col'. And yes, Anthony is so funny with his giggles and camp voice moments. Bradley not understanding women at all, when he got the female competition between Morgause and Morgana scene so wrong. All of them wanting more of Geoffrey of Monmouth. Bradley admitting he has daily doses of humiliation. And most interesting was how Colin adlibbed that hesitation in 2.09 when he was about to set the boat with Freya in it alight. Genius.

I'm off to listen to 2.10 and 2.12 commentaries.

boom-moo

[125]Feb 16, 2010
    pcdsa wrote:
    Maybe Halig was in a drunken sleep so he couldn't hear her.
    Seems to fit Halig but still

pcdsa wrote:
    So what questions do you have about 2.11, boom-moo?
    What's the story about the controversy with the "I have done what I can to ease your passage" line that Morgana says to Alvarr? Is there any naughty meaning that I am not getting? I'm surprised that they make such a fuss of it. Alice Throughton texting Julian Murphy to make sure the line can stay, Katie having a hard time saying it with a straight face... *is lost*

I love Anthony's giggles! And lol, Bradley certainly sounds like one who gets in trouble easily. I was so excited about Tony and Bradley loving that hesitation moment in 209 because I do always rewind it, it's so good!

*hearts Tony, Bradley and Colin* See pcdsa? I get more men by the minute

pcdsa

[126]Feb 16, 2010

boom-moo wrote:
    What's the story about the controversy with the "I have done what I can to ease your passage" line that Morgana says to Alvarr? Is there any naughty meaning that I am not getting? I'm surprised that they make such a fuss of it. Alice Throughton texting Julian Murphy to make sure the line can stay, Katie having a hard time saying it with a straight face... *is lost*

Clears throat, embarassed laughing, clears throat again ... well, yes it is a bit naughty, a sexual context, clears throat again. Will say no more! Tears running down my face...

boom-moo wrote:
    *hearts Tony, Bradley and Colin* See pcdsa? I get more men by the minute

Yeah, you'll be after Lancelot next, way too much love to give...

Edited on 02/16/2010 12:00pm

boom-moo

[127]Feb 16, 2010
    pcdsa wrote:
    Clears throat, embarassed laughing, clears throat again ... well, yes it is a bit naughty, a sexual context, clears throat again. Will say no more! Tears running down my face...
    Erm... alright, I still don't get it 'Passing' as in 'coming'?

pcdsa wrote:
    Well, that's one I don't fancy at all. See? I can me measured

pcdsa

[128]Feb 16, 2010

boom-moo wrote:

Yes!

boom-moo wrote:
    pcdsa wrote:
    Well, that's one I don't fancy at all. See? I can me measured

Well, I've never like the Lancelot character from Legends, how can he betray Arthur? Though Santiago protrays him well and he is better looking, though he does not appeal to me either.

---

Did you notice in 2.12 commentary that Katie stopped herself from being slashy about Arthur and Merlin? Do you think someone told her not to go there?

Also in 2.10 Bradley adlibbed the armpit scene you so like boom-moo and the cupping Gaius' face. I wish we could have commentaries on all the episodes - just gives you a little more insight.

boom-moo

[129]Feb 16, 2010
    pcdsa wrote:
    boom-moo wrote:
    Yes!
    Omg, lmfao! I see now, how very kinky of the writer

pcdsa wrote:
    Did you notice in 2.12 commentary that Katie stopped herself from being slashy about Arthur and Merlin? Do you think someone told her not to go there?
    Well, Colin and Jeremy Webb pretty much sushed here there. That is not interesting enough for them, apparently

pcdsa wrote:
    Also in 2.10 Bradley adlibbed the armpit scene you so like boom-moo and the cupping Gaius' face. I wish we could have commentaries on all the episodes - just gives you a little more insight.
    Lol, yeah! He is too funny. And how he tried to prank Colin shutting the door on his face? Oh, there is something I don't get in the commentary of 210. Who was being whipered on his ear and couldn't stop laughing while filming the goodbye scene? I think I understand 'Ross' but there's no Ross in the cast.

And I wish we would commentaries for every episode too, that'd make for the lack of the outtakes *foot taps TPTB*

pcdsa

[130]Feb 17, 2010

boom-moo wrote:
    He is too funny. And how he tried to prank Colin shutting the door on his face?

Also, Bradley's story in 2.04 commentary when Merlin and Arthur enter Hengist's place and they join in with Hengist's men and say "Kill, Kill, Kill" for Guinevere and Lancelot. And I think if I remember correctly Bradley was surprised that it didn't make the cut!

boom-moo wrote:
    Oh, there is something I don't get in the commentary of 210. Who was being whipered on his ear and couldn't stop laughing while filming the goodbye scene? I think I understand 'Ross' but there's no Ross in the cast.

They also mentioned Gareth in that bit. Gareth and Ross are the first and third assistant directors (saw their names on the credits straight after the cast names).

boom-moo

[131]Feb 17, 2010
    pcdsa wrote:
    Also, Bradley's story in 2.04 commentary when Merlin and Arthur enter Hengist's place and they join in with Hengist's men and say "Kill, Kill, Kill" for Guinevere and Lancelot. And I think if I remember correctly Bradley was surprised that it didn't make the cut!
    He is such a goof!

boom-moo wrote:
    Oh, there is something I don't get in the commentary of 210. Who was being whipered on his ear and couldn't stop laughing while filming the goodbye scene? I think I understand 'Ross' but there's no Ross in the cast.
    They also mentioned Gareth in that bit. Gareth and Ross are the first and third assistant directors (saw their names on the credits straight after the cast names).[/QUOTE]Oh, I see I knew about Gareth being a crew member, didn't occur to me that Ross would be another. So I take it they were finishing off the editing for the goodbye scene in some kind of a box and that's when Gareth kept whispering on Ross' ear and making him laugh and feel all unprofessional

Thanks for helping me understand Everyone involved in Merlin seems to have so much fun, right?

pcdsa

[132]Feb 17, 2010

boom-moo wrote:
    Everyone involved in Merlin seems to have so much fun, right?

Indeed. It just adds to me loving the show. From the video diaries, DVD commentaries and BTS Secrets and Magic, the cast have a great rapport and obviously have so much fun along with the crew. Also the guest actors seem to enjoy their time on Merlin very much. I have never brought box-sets for other TV shows, so I don't know what their commentaries are like, but I've read on youtube that the Merlin commentaries are some of the best / funniest.

boom-moo

[133]Feb 17, 2010

I have other boxsets and I've always enjoyed the comments tons. From the technical aspects to the anecdotes, it's all really great to hear. Merlin's ones are fun indeed, especially when Anthony is around or when Bradley and Colin comment together. I also love to listen to Johnny Capps and Jeremy Webb.

Lookie what I found here, the Merlin Font! Someone asked for it a while ago and I couldn't find it. Now some awesome and very gifted Merlin fan has done it herself I've tried it and it looks amazing

Edit 1:

Just wishing Anthony Head a very merry Bday!

Edit 2:

-I remembered another new dress that Morgana has worn in series 2. Anyone interested?
    -Also, I found a funny picture that proves our point that Gwen's light purple dress has been overused in series 2. Anyone interested?

Edit 3:

Katie looking gorgeous at the Lancome and Harper's Bazaar Pre-BAFTA Party - February 21, 2010 here

Edited on 02/22/2010 3:00pm
    Edited 3 total times.

dpebbleson

[134]Feb 22, 2010
    Katie is gorgeous as ever!

And we are making it! We've made almost two months! I expect that soon some spoilers would come, so we'll get more talk.

boom-moo

[135]Feb 22, 2010

I love her hairdo!

They'll film again in France in March, so I hope someone sneaks a peek and shares *keeps fingers crossed*

Edited on 02/22/2010 4:12pm

dpebbleson

[136]Feb 22, 2010
    We've got to install a spy in their ranks!

And by September this forum will be full of posts, that everyone coming to visit will think there were not only 5-6 fans, but an army of posters! Which will in turn attract an even more people! I visited "Big Bang Theory" forum the other day, and while it is a lot more popular than 'Merlin', the forum is not so active. And the show isn't even on hiatus!

Ha ha!

boom-moo

[137]Feb 22, 2010
    dpebbleson wrote:
    We've got to install a spy in their ranks!
    I gladly volunteer Please someone convince my boss I need a long hiatus

I hope it gets active so we can have nice discussions. I also hope we are able to keep the forum organized.

dpebbleson

[138]Feb 22, 2010

Give me his e-mail, and I'll send him various reasons why you need to relocate to Pierrefonds, France But I'll need your company's profile - what do you do, and what is the nature of your job? And what's your boss's name or surname or nickname or anything I can address him with?

And this e-mail will be this forum-limited, so don't worry, I won't cause you to lose your job

Edited on 02/22/2010 4:40pm
    Edited 2 total times.

pcdsa

[139]Feb 23, 2010
    boom-moo wrote:
    I remembered another new dress that Morgana has worn in series 2. Anyone interested?

-Also, I found a funny picture that proves our point that Gwen's light purple dress has been overused in series 2. Anyone interested?

Is it a purple dress I think Morgana was wearing in The Nightmare Begins? Didn't she wear another coulour when she met up with Morgause in The Fires of Idirsholas. And yes please to funny pic of Guinevere.

boom-moo

[140]Feb 23, 2010

dpebbleson wrote:
    Give me his e-mail, and I'll send him various reasons why you need to relocate to Pierrefonds, France But I'll need your company's profile - what do you do, and what is the nature of your job? And what's your boss's name or surname or nickname or anything I can address him with? And this e-mail will be this forum-limited, so don't worry, I won't cause you to lose your job
    We are wholesale company dealing with salt, minerals and gems along with other stuff. I'm a secretary and my boss' surname is Stinker. You can get him at Stinker@hotmail.es (I am not kidding about the nickname though)

pcdsa wrote:
    boom-moo wrote:
    I remembered another new dress that Morgana has worn in series 2. Anyone interested?
    Is it a purple dress I think Morgana was wearing in The Nightmare Begins? Didn't she wear another coulour when she met up with Morgause in The Fires of Idirsholas. And yes please to funny pic of Guinevere.
    Yeah, it's the The Nightmare Begins. She wears a really nice red dress that has been never seen again (guess because she changed into Druid clothes and was "rescued" and brought back to Camelot in those. here is the red dress. Makes sense that she left it behind (contrary to Gwen's purple one in 2x04, right? ), but it's a pity because it's a really beautiful one.

As for the funny picture of Gwen's dress, remember how we agreed that her mysteriously recovered purple dress had been overused in series 2? I have a feeling she is gonna get a new one in series 3. The old one is badly torn on its back. Check it out here