Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

United Fans of Merlin (Join the Magic!)

boom-moo

[161]Mar 6, 2010
    • level: 75

pcdsa wrote:
    Sorry, it is: You can't possibly joust. You are too badly injured.
    Thank you! I didn't get the "badly" bit right so I was pretty puzzled.

I have another question, sorry to be this annoying

In 2x02, Merlin says to Gaius:

Merlin: Do you think I sit around doing nothing? I haven't had a chance to sit around and do nothing since the day I arrived in Camelot! I'm too busy running around after Arthur. Do this, Merlin. Do that, Merlin. And when I'm not running around after Arthur, I'm doing chores for you! And if I'm not doing that, I'm fulfilling my destiny! Do you know, how many times I've saved Arthur's life? I've lost count! Do I get any thanks? No! I have fought griffins, witches erm… bandits! I have been punched, poisoned, pelted with fruit and all the while, I have to hide who I really am because if anyone finds out, Uther will have me executed! Sometimes I feel like I'm being pulled in so many directions, I don't know which way to turn!

I can't remember Merlin being punched, does anyone remember when that happened?

Edit:

Ok, this istotally random but I'm watching 2x08 in Spanish and Morgause tells Morgana that the bracelet belonged to her father and not to her mother

Edited on 03/06/2010 2:17pm
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pcdsa

[162]Mar 7, 2010
    • level: 12

I too can't remember Merlin being punched. Maybe it happened between series...

Wow, I remember four weeks back you said 2.01 aired in Spain, so they are getting through the series pretty quick. Well translations are never perfect. Now Spanish Merlin fans will be coming up with different conclusions about Morgause and Morgana. Similar mistranslations must be happening in other countries.

boom-moo

[163]Mar 7, 2010

I've been scratching my head quite a lot and I constantly rewatch episodes so I'm pretty sure Merlin hasn't been punched. Weird they included that in his lines.

pcdsa wrote:
    Wow, I remember four weeks back you said 2.01 aired in Spain, so they are getting through the series pretty quick. Well translations are never perfect. Now Spanish Merlin fans will be coming up with different conclusions about Morgause and Morgana. Similar mistranslations must be happening in other countries.
    They are showing two episodes every Saturday night, from 10-12pm when everyone is either having dinner (yeah, we have dinner that late) or out partying The tranlations are awful like you can't imagine, but changing things around, let alone key things, is inexcusable. As you say, people are mislead and reach different conclusions than those who follow the show in English.

Anyone in the Dublin area? Seems like there's gonna be a Merlin screening event in May.

http://archaeologist-d.livejournal.com/119206.html

American broadcaster Starz had given a ten episode season order to a new spin on the legends of King Arthur, reports The Hollywood Reporter. "Camelot" will be a contemporary retelling of the Athurian legend and will be filmed in Ireland. The 10 episode series will be following Thomas Malory L'Morte d'Arthur and it'll be a joint production between filmmaker Morgan O'Sullivan and an American Network. It is expected to exceed the €20 million annual spend of The Tudors, which had a four-year run at Ardmore. Michael Hirst, creator and writer of The Tudors, has drawn up the outline for "Camelot" and written the first four episodes. "Camelot" is expected to be a five-season series but the cast is yet to be recruited.

http://www.atvnewsnetwork.co.uk/today/index.php/atv-today/2538-contemporary-camelot-heading-our-way

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i6e499b206b4e48ab3c17f4e7e96c4551

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=20100322starz01

http://io9.com/5499075/torchwood-%252B-alt-history-merlin--camelot

Merlin Japanese DVD-BOX-II with pretty Pictures

http://alex006.livejournal.com/1414.html

Pretty Merlin posters

http://alex006.livejournal.com/1180.html

I collect coasters, I want a Merlin one!

http://community.livejournal.com/merlin_tv/945360.html

DVDs for part 1 and part 2 of Merlin Season One signed by the 4 main cast members (Colin Morgan, Bradley James, Katie McGrath and Angel Coulby) were given to the 2010 Wamcare (Worldwide Association for ME/CFS Awareness and Research) charity auction which profits are destined to top quality biomedical research including a large share to the Whittemore Peterson Institute and ME Research UK. The actors also contributed with individual signed Pictures.

http://www.wamcare.org/auctionactors2.html

Nice pics (the banana on is new) and new behind the scenes videos

http://community.livejournal.com/merlin_cn/30929.html#cutid2
    Edited on 03/23/2010 11:07am
    Edited 7 total times.

pcdsa

[164]Mar 23, 2010

Gosh that interesting that they want to do a Camelot series. Hum... I think it would be better for them to wait until series 5 of Merlin finishes then they can start with our Merlin cast taking over...

Don't like the dragon's pic on the Japanese box set - looks too scary. Lots of Japanese stuff - wonder how popular Merlin is there?

boom-moo

[165]Mar 23, 2010
    pcdsa wrote:

Gosh that interesting that they want to do a Camelot series. Hum... I think it would be better for them to wait until series 5 of Merlin finishes then they can start with our Merlin cast taking over...

The project was previous to this one, but BBC didn't like what they were offered. I guess it wasn't that family oriented for BBC. If this one is anything like The Tudors, then it's definitely gonna be adult oriented and it seems to fit better on cable tv.

pcdsa wrote:
    Lots of Japanese stuff - wonder how popular Merlin is there?
    It's pretty huge, they gets tons of events and memorabilia and cool never seen before extras. So good people share them

Syfy's trailer for series 2

http://www.spoilertv.com/2010/03/merlin-new-season-trailer.html

Colin is gonna be interviewed next week. We can send questions to thetorchonline@gmail.com. Here:

http://twitter.com/TheTorchOnline/status/11026024787

and Bradley is gonna be interviewed on March 31st in blogtalkradio.
    Edited on 03/26/2010 2:30pm
    Edited 4 total times.

pcdsa

[166]Mar 29, 2010

Don't that impressed with Syfy trailer's. BBC's one was briliant.

Will you Esther provide the link for Bradley's interview? I'm waiting impatiently...Tongue out

boom-moo

[167]Mar 29, 2010
    pcdsa wrote:
    Don't that impressed with Syfy trailer's. BBC's one was briliant.
    I know, I was pretty disappointed.

pcdsa wrote:
    Will you Esther provide the link for Bradley's interview? I'm waiting impatiently
    Of course, as soon as I get it

_____________________-

Asa Butterfield (Mordred) has gotten the leading role in Martin Scorsese's movie The Invention Of Hugo Cabret that tells the story of an orphan who lives in a Paris railway station in the thirties and that will start filming in May. Maybe we don't see that much of him during series 3 since this is a main role in a big production.

A bit more about the upcoming Colin's interview here.
    Edited on 03/31/2010 1:50am

pcdsa

[168]Mar 31, 2010

boom-moo wrote:

This link is absolutely hiliarious. Check it out folks: A Crash Course in Merlin

Highlights:

...every other sentence out of Uther Pendragon's mouth is, "Evil sorcery is evil and magicians must die a dead death of deadness!"

Every line Arthur and Merlin speak to (or about) one another is riddled with subtext. ... you can watch Merlin because of the subtextually epic love between Arthur and Merlin. It's there. The writers know it's there. The actors know it's there. And heavens to Excalibur, do the fans ever know it's there.

...every time Merlin faces a moral quandary about using magic or letting people get killed, Gaius prefers the death option.

boom-moo

[169]Mar 31, 2010
    "If ears or Adam's apples are your thing, you're going to fall in love with Merlin or Arthur. You literally will not be able to help yourself." Lol!

Bradley James' interview in blogtalkradio here
    Edited on 03/31/2010 11:49am

pcdsa

[170]Mar 31, 2010

Thanks Esther, it was nice to hear him "pleasure to be back in Florida, vocally I mean" but unfortunately nothing new.

boom-moo

[171]Mar 31, 2010
    Yep, nothing new. I take it that from the scripts he's read (block 1 most likely) Arthur still hasn't found out about Merlin.

Another upcoming Bradley interview here. Hopefully we'll get something more. "Bradley took a break from his costume fitting" New clothing? *is excited*

pcdsa

[172]Mar 31, 2010

boom-moo wrote:
    I take it that from the scripts he's read (block 1 most likely) Arthur still hasn't found out about Merlin.

Not necessarily because I'm sure he would have been warned not to talk about new storylines. I'm sure it is part of their contract - secrecy and all that so as not to spoil things for viewers.

Edited on 03/31/2010 12:42pm

boom-moo

[173]Mar 31, 2010
    Yeah, that could be it. But I dunno, there was something about the way he talked about it that made me think he keeps on sending loud signals for the writers to follow that path. Might be just me though.

dpebbleson

[174]Mar 31, 2010
    • level: 24
    pcdsa wrote:

boom-moo wrote:

This link is absolutely hiliarious. Check it out folks: A Crash Course in Merlin

Highlights:

...every other sentence out of Uther Pendragon's mouth is, "Evil sorcery is evil and magicians must die a dead death of deadness!"

Every line Arthur and Merlin speak to (or about) one another is riddled with subtext. ... you can watch Merlin because of the subtextually epic love between Arthur and Merlin. It's there. The writers know it's there. The actors know it's there. And heavens to Excalibur, do the fans ever know it's there.

...every time Merlin faces a moral quandary about using magic or letting people get killed, Gaius prefers the death option.

Evil sorcery is evil...

That's very funny!

About the subtext. I actually didn't notice the subtext until I heard it someone mention in on the Internet. Practically all of those 'old-fashioned' adventure stories that I read ('The Lord of the Rings', 'The Wheel of Time', 'Harry Potter and the Seven Volumes', 'His Dark Materials', 'Vukodav', 'Five Friends', 'The Neverending Story', and so on and so forth) have the theme of friendship, and friends helping each other. Usually they don't like each other at first, but then realize the good sides, etc. blah blah blah - which is basically what happens at the beginning of 'Merlin' and all through it.

Imagine me being stunned when I became aware of the existence of some fanfics and what not, which elevate (or rather, relegate) friendship into romance, very often not so much romantic but sexual in its nature.

I think it is so, because Freud has been very popular since his psychoanalysis made its great breakthrough roughly a century ago. But Freud is not to blame, but many, many laymen who are not aware of two principal things:

1) Psycho-analysis is not at all a simple thing. For example, many aren't acquainted with the fact that Oedipus complex is not merely a complex, but a whole stage in the development of a human being. Therefore, many people (even many writers) toy with Freud's ideas like it was so easy. For example, if we talk about Merlin, the writers are aware of the subtext, and are writing it somewhat intentionally (at least to amuse their audience), but they are very wrong in manifesting it in every single reply between Merlin and Arthur. If it were so easy and open, then psycho-analysis and related means of psychology would have been very redundant. But it's not that easy. If there was some kind of affection that was suppressed, it would never manifest itself so openly, in every sentence. It would manifest in an unintentional error, a lapsus lingua, or something really small and hardly noticeable.

So using Freud - or even more, Jacque Lacan - in such fashion results in combinations such as Frodo/Sam, Matt/Rand, Harry/Ron (unintentional pairings) or Merlin/Arthur (probably intentional to some degree).

Of course, it's always fun to joke at these pairings, but what I think is damaged with such theories is that one layer of the story - friendship - is destroyed. Stories have many layers, about love, loyalty, about evil, about strength, weakness, cowardice, and thus we lose one important layer. For example, in 'Merlin' if we want to interpret its attitudes towards some ideas, we get to see and attitude about love in Merlin/Freya; about social class differences in Arthur/Gwen; about being a parent in Merlin and Hunith's, and Merlin and Gaius's relationship; daughter and father in Morgana and Uther; friendship in Arthur and Merlin, Merlin and Gwen, Morgana and Gwen. But if we pair Arthur/Merlin, Gwen/Morgana, we lose that layer by ridiculing it.

This isn't the worse that can happen. In 'Supernatural' you have two main characters who are brothers, and the show is largely about the family values on all levels of the story. I have a brother and to be perfectly honest, it disgusts me when some people do the pairing Sam/Dean, and laugh at it. It's disgusting. I would like to see them read a story about them and their sister or brother and laugh - if they can.

Not that there aren't some really funny pairings. A friend told me there are fanfics dealing with sexual relationship between Hermione and Snape.

2) Finally we get to the second point. The second point is that many still don't realize that Freud's theory is very outdated. Many of his presuppositions just don't work, and there is a strain of pan-eroticism in his teachings. This was noticed by Jung who expanded the theory of the unconscious to the archetypes, and collective unconscious. Freud is a great thinker, who obviously had a supreme intrapersonal intelligence, and his main merit lies in the fact that he brought to attention the existence of subconscious and unconscious at all, that he studied human psychology much better than before, that he brought to light the importance of dreams; in literature he is credited with discovering the subtext of a literary work, which is exactly what 'Merlin' obviously has. So, even if he is outdated, he still remains a powerful figure, which is in turn misused by many...

To conclude this ranting This is the easier way, I think. Just to say, oh there is a sexual or romantic subtext, because Freud says it (and who says Freud is right, or that he even said just that). Because it is a reductionist approach. It is one of the approaches. You have Fromm's theory of man's inherent goodness; you have Jung's archetypes; you have structuralist theories of the oppositions; when speaking of oppositions, you can always bring about Heracleiutus' theory of combining opposed elements so as to drive story forward; you have Aristotle's 'Poetics'; Hegel's 'Aesthetics'... So many sources, yet people always choose the psychoanalysis because it's the easiest approach. But actually it's not the easiest, as I said, it only looks easy. Otherwise we would all be psychoanalysts.

pcdsa

[175]Mar 31, 2010

When I watched Merlin I didn't notice any subtext between Merlin and Arthur either. I too was surprised at all the slashy fan videos of them on the Internet. However I love their relationship for sheer bromance. I don't believe they have a romantic or sexual love, but they do love one another - ultimate male bonding/friendship that they would die for one another. Arthur was finally admitted to that "love" in 2.12 and 2.13 in his own way.

Edited on 03/31/2010 1:22pm

dpebbleson

[176]Mar 31, 2010
    Thanks, I thought I was the only blind one

Bromance is a new term for me, but as I understood it, it's a really, really great friendship between two men - that qualifies for ridiculing in fanfics

Anyway, I think I read in the newspapers how since Freud male friendships became more sort-of formal, and detached. Because of all that misuse, people began to think that if they showed their friendship more openly, they could be accused of repressed romantic feeling for the other and such. It's like, in 17th century, or in 18th, men and women showed their affections more openly. But again, Freud is not to blame. He never said that. His theory was just oversimplified that it became like a matter of faith or superstition. Everyone suddenly could read the signs, the dreams, the gestures, and all that, and say whether there is this subtext, or that subtext. The truth is, many sons are naturally attached to their mothers (even Arthur ), but those with the remnant of the Oedipus complex are rare. And women generally hug each other, and kiss each other, but that doesn't mean they are romantically involved. And alike.

I'd suggest people to read Dostoyevsky. For example, in 'Brothers Karamazov' you have so clear signs of affections between men and women, that it would make a ton of fanfics. Men kiss each other, women kiss each other, lips to lips, to cheek, they all hug themselves, call each other with deminutives, nicknames... But still there isn't the subtext.

boom-moo

[177]Mar 31, 2010
    Your insight is just breathtaking, Danko!

dpebbleson wrote:
    Imagine me being stunned when I became aware of the existence of some fanfics and what not, which elevate (or rather, relegate) friendship into romance, very often not so much romantic but sexual in its nature.

dpebbleson wrote:
    if we talk about Merlin, the writers are aware of the subtext, and are writing it somewhat intentionally (at least to amuse their audience), but they are very wrong in manifesting it in every single reply between Merlin and Arthur. If it were so easy and open, then psycho-analysis and related means of psychology would have been very redundant. But it's not that easy. If there was some kind of affection that was suppressed, it would never manifest itself so openly, in every sentence. It would manifest in an unintentional error, a lapsus lingua, or something really small and hardly noticeable.
    I think writers try to cater for as many segments of the audience as possible. The show has elements for kids, teens, young people and adult people to enjoy, by achieving that it proves to be a good (if anything ratings wise) family show. But between teens and young people it is a huge success. And the fandom in these two segments is as varied as possible, slash not being the smallest of it. So maybe writers don't care that much about making the subtext be subtle enough to be considered subtext. As long as it's profitable, it works.

dpebbleson wrote:
    Of course, it's always fun to joke at these pairings, but what I think is damaged with such theories is that one layer of the story - friendship - is destroyed.
    Can friends be lovers and lovers be friends? The eternal debate, right?

And why the need for subtext? King Alined came out of the closet having the hots for Arthur

dpebbleson

[178]Mar 31, 2010
    *cough*please read my pm*cough*

I agree that most things in life are pretty simple. But it is not always easy to keep it simple. Sometimes making it complicated is safer, weird as it sounds. It takes a lot of confidence, experience, and having one's thoughts and emotions clearly defined (and being cool with them) to keep things simple. Kids have a simple reasoning and logic, we put barriers to it as we grow up. For many and way too different reasons. I know of many people who have been afraid of taking a friendship further, cause if it doesn't work, in most of the cases friendship isn't recovered or at least not as healthy as it was before. Life and human nature is funny like that.

I am one who is not into psychoanalysis, psychologists or psychiatrists. I simply neither trust them nor find them helpful. I have my own mind and my own tools to help myself and think for myself. And I'm a firm believer that every one of my thoughts/theories/ideas (and any other person's for that matter, no matter how opposed to mine [well, not when it comes to child sexual slavery and stuff, I guess you get the general idea]) are as valid as Freud's, for example. I don't sing the praises of anyone only because their line of thought is the most commonly accepted by scholars or otherwise. And I don't mean to play the wise/smart one. I just live and let live and whatever works for everyone is fine with me (as long as they don't mess with anyone else).

Lol, here I go complicating it right?

This is becoming OT, should we take a seat at our pub and chat over a drink? I started my mini Easter holidays already
    Edited on 03/31/2010 2:49pm

boom-moo

[179]Mar 31, 2010
    dpebbleson wrote:
    *cough*please read my pm*cough*

I agree that most things in life are pretty simple. But it is not always easy to keep it simple. Sometimes making it complicated is safer, weird as it sounds. It takes a lot of confidence, experience, and having one's thoughts and emotions clearly defined (and being cool with them) to keep things simple. Kids have a simple reasoning and logic, we put barriers to it as we grow up. For many and way too different reasons. I know of many people who have been afraid of taking a friendship further, cause if it doesn't work, in most of the cases friendship isn't recovered or at least not as healthy as it was before. Life and human nature is funny like that.

I am one who is not into psychoanalysis, psychologists or psychiatrists. I simply neither trust them nor find them helpful. I have my own mind and my own tools to help myself and think for myself. And I'm a firm believer that every one of my thoughts/theories/ideas (and any other person's for that matter, no matter how opposed to mine [well, not when it comes to child sexual slavery and stuff, I guess you get the general idea]) are as valid as Freud's, for example. I don't sing the praises of anyone only because their line of thought is the most commonly accepted by scholars or otherwise. And I don't mean to play the wise/smart one. I just live and let live and whatever works for everyone is fine with me (as long as they don't mess with anyone else).

Lol, here I go complicating it right?

This is becoming OT, should we take a seat at our pub and chat over a drink? I started my mini Easter holidays already

I typed all that. How come it appears as a Danko entry? And where is the Danko post I was replying to?

*looks around suspiciously for Merlin*

Danko, you pulling a Sigan on me?
    Edited on 03/31/2010 2:55pm

dpebbleson

[180]Mar 31, 2010

Dude, where's my car? Or my post?

Geez, I worked really hard on that one CryDoes tv.com think it's easy to justify your rants...

Meeerliin...

Well this is a magic thread after all. Weird things do happen. And now the whole tv.com forum is left without my response. OMG, they are going to be ignorant for ever and a day!

Just joking, I'm not that vain.

But YOU know how it all started (with the forging of the rings of power )! If it weren't for that melodrama, nothing of this would have happened...

Edit: Anyway, Esther it's you who stole my identity. So you must be Cornelia Sigan, the evil sister of the aforementioned sorcerer

Edited on 03/31/2010 3:07pm