Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Welcome to "The Rising Sun" tavern! (Off-topic Thread)

ericsprau

[1]Jan 26, 2010
    • level: 11
    Pretty simple on the rules here, but let's get started.

1. Try to keep Merlin talk in the Merlin topics. If talk strays away from Merlin somewhere else on the forum, please bring it here.

2. Please be polite and respectful to other users; opinions are just that, opinions. People's opinions may not always match, so please be aware of this and not force what you feel on others.

3. Other than that, this is just a good place to gather and talk about likes, dislikes, what's going on in your life, etc. Again, please be respectful of what another person likes/dislikes.

As for me, well a lot going on in life right now. For the time being I opt not to share it publicly, because it is rather serious and personal. When things improve, I'll let everyone know. We're all equals here. ^_^

By the way, feel free to call me Eric.

Who is who wrote:
    ACDiNosey = hairdresser and tavern cook.
    Bridgess = assistant blacksmith to Elyan.
    Cassi = minstrel.
    DaNko = artifacts trader.
    D-syfer = court librarian assistant to Geoffrey.
    Ella = Corn Hole instructor at Camelot Beach and midwife to the Queen.
    Eric = tavern owner.
    Esther = tavern barmaid.
    Kitty = seamstress.
    Sarah = teacher.
    WitchyWeasel = apothecary.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Butterworths = tavern pet cat.
    Clive = tavern pet dog.

Rising Sun Inn Room Distribution wrote:
    Room #1: E(vo)ric / Geoffrey.
    Room #2: BM.
    Room #3: DaNko.
    Room #4: D-syfer.
    Room #5: Sarah.
    Room #6: Sir Leon.
    Room #7: AC.
    Room #8: WW.
    Room #9: West.
    Room #10: Bridgess.
    Storage room bed #1: exactimondi.
    Storage room bed #2: fantasymommy.
    Storage room bed #3: LizzyGlue.
    Storage room bed #4:
    Storage room bed #5:
    Storage room bed #6:

Forumers Recommendations wrote:
    -Being Human. Supernatural Drama.
    -Camelot. Historical Fantasy Drama.
    -Downton Abbey. Period Drama.
    -Game of Thrones. Medieval Fantasy Drama based on the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' fantasy novels by George R. R. Martin.
    -Legend of the Seeker. Fantasy Adventure Drama based on 'The Sword of Truth' fantasy novels by Terry Goodkind.
    -Miranda. Comedy.
    -Monday Monday. Comedy Drama.
    -Once Upon A Time. Fantasy Drama based on traditional fairy tales.
    -Sherlock. Crime Drama based on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's 'Sherlock Holmes' detective stories.
    -The Pillars of the Earth. Medieval Drama based on Ken Follett's novel of the same name.
    -Silent Witness. Forensic Pathology Thriller Drama.
    -The Borgias. Historical Fiction Drama.
    -Upstairs Downstairs. Period Drama.
    -V. Science Fiction.
    Edited on 01/13/2012 4:55pm
    Edited 25 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[2]Jan 26, 2010
    • level: 75
    Hey everyone, Esther here Having an early start in my corner of the world (San Sebastian, Basque Country, North Coast of Spain) where it's freezing. Procrastinating at job, as per usual. My office comp broke so I'm using my boss' which limits my internet access (and speed!) but hey, at least I'm getting a new one soon.

Hope everyone has a lovely morning.

ericsprau

[3]Jan 27, 2010
    • level: 11
    Ah, to have my Systems Administration job and all of it's T3 line back...heaven.

boom-moo

[4]Jan 27, 2010
    What's a T3 line?

I'm gonna ask for this thread to be pinned, btw

illegalferret

[5]Jan 27, 2010
    • level: 25

I'm loving the fact this thread is a pub!!!

Ok, quick intro, I'm Sarah, I'm 21 years old and am currently a Uni student, training to be a Primary School teacher (thats for children aged 5-11 for u non-Brits!). At the moment I'm on my final 10 week practice. I'm working in and teaching a large year 1 class (aged 5-6), with some right characters in! After a good 2 weeks it all went a bit wrong today whilst i was being observed So now and right up until the end of March I'll probably be pretty stressed out and only around to post in the evenings or at weekends.

x

Edited on 01/27/2010 12:18pm

boom-moo

[6]Jan 27, 2010
    Aww, I'm sorry things didn't go very well today Sarah *huggles* But hey, everyone has a 'not so bright day' once in a while, so I bet things will get better and that the next time you are observed they'll realize you love your job career of choice and you are a natural at it

Pretty handy to hang around a pub, huh? We can come and celebrate and cheer any time

dpebbleson

[7]Jan 27, 2010
    • level: 23

Howdy!

My name is Danko, and I am an alcoholic... Wait! Wrong place, wrong time!

But after all this is a pub, isn't it?

I generally do not believe in short self-description, but hey, we only have one life to break our principles now and then...

Anyway, I come from Serbia, I have (as I mentioned in some post) graduated from English Language and Literature, and am currently on doctoral studies in Literature, leaning towards fantasy fiction. In fact, as far as I know, my thesis will revolve around fairy-tales, more specifically "Fairy Tales and their Cinematic Treatment". Therefore, I hope to put 'Merlin' somewhere in it, as well as many other fantasy series, films etc. Overall, I am very interested in Fantasy, and to a somewhat lesser degree into SF. On the other hand, I also like psychological novels, such as "Crime and Punishment". As for films, I like films by Guillermo del Toro and Woody Allen most.

I actually like pub atmosphere better than club atmosphere, and prefer beer over wine. And cocoa over coffee. And if I smoked, I would probably prefer a pipe over a cigarette.

I am 23 years old - well almost two months over that You can call me Danko, if you want to use the first name; however, if you want to use last name, call me Pebbleson, as it is English translation of my surname, and quite handy as well. Or use both. Or just D. Pebbleson. Whatever you like

Cheers!

boom-moo

[8]Jan 27, 2010
    Hey Danko "Fairy Tales and their Cinematic Treatment" sounds like nice but quite extensive topic to handle. And Merlin does fit indeed

I am a weirdo who doesn't like coffee, tea or beer. I settle for hot chocolate and spirits pretty happily though. I don't smoke either. Luckily our pub is very well stocked

By the way, what time is it in Serbia? I believe we are in the same time zone despite our physical distance.

dpebbleson

[9]Jan 27, 2010

Yeah, it is pretty extensive topic, but I'll have a year or so to narrow it down.

At the moment that I am writing it is 10:14 pm. Outside it's dark (naturally enough for this time of day ), heavily snowing, an hour ago I've just returned from a long walk. The winter is great, everything is painted in white.

Yeah, I like hot chocolate as well. Unfortunately, I have none at the time, but now I'll make myself a cup of cocoa. You make a cup of hot chocolate, so we can drink together Physical distance is nothing compared to the speed of thought

boom-moo

[10]Jan 27, 2010
    I think I could write a thesis on Merlin alone

Yeah, we are in the same time zone then. It's pretty cold in here but we don't get snow often since I live at sea level, just two or three snowfalls top each winter. The Pyrenees are at less than one hour ride and I have other mountains way closer so I can have fun in the snow without the annoyance that it brings having it locally. I mean, I love white landscapes, but since we aren't that used to it, with big snowfalls everything becomes a mess: non passable roads and whatnot.

*sits at a table with hot chocolate cup waiting on Danko*

dpebbleson

[11]Jan 27, 2010

* Sits at the table drinking cocoa waiting for Esther*

You probably hear this a lot from people from so-called land-locked countries, but you are very lucky to have the sea nearby

I've never been to Basque country, though last year I went on a faculty excursion to Barcelona, and we also had a tour of Costa Brava (if I remember correctly, it should mean 'Rugged Coast' - but I may be very wrong). Is your region north to Catalonia?

boom-moo

[12]Jan 27, 2010

ins Danko at the table and sips on her hot chocolate*

Yeah, I've heard about being lucky for having the sea so close. I actually learn to swim before learning to walk, most kids here do since I live in a fishermen's village. Guess it's a tradition that comes down from father to son and that it started as a way to prevent kids from drowning or something.

I've been to Barcelona (actually visiting a friend whom I through this site) and to the Costa Brava too (it means 'rough coast' indeed). My region is north and west to Catalonia. You can see it here The Basque Country is the pink county on the north coast where it says "Pais Vasco" and Catalonia is the purple one three counties to the east where it says "Cataluña"

Edited on 01/27/2010 1:56pm

dpebbleson

[13]Jan 27, 2010

Oh, I see, and the name of your place can be seen as well!

Here's a little map of Serbia, and you'll see a city named Kragujevac in the middle of the country - that's where I live.

http://www.etriptips.com/wiki/images/1/1c/Serbia-map_(Without_Montenegro).PNG

boom-moo

[14]Jan 27, 2010
    Yes, the name of my place can be seen Your place is pretty much in the centre of the country. I am like 20 minutes away from France so I can cross international borders on foot. I am ashamed to confess that I was brilliant at Geography but that I have not caught up with the political changes that have gone on in the east of Europe

dpebbleson

[15]Jan 27, 2010

boom-moo wrote:
    Yes, the name of my place can be seen Your place is pretty much in the centre of the country. I am like 20 minutes away from France so I can cross international borders on foot. I am ashamed to confess that I was brilliant at Geography but that I have not caught up with the political changes that have gone on in the east of Europe

So it's like: France - hop! - Spain - hop! - France - hop! - Spain!

Yeah, I'm in the middle of the country, and my region translates as Woodlands, as my place used to be encircled with forests. Nowadays, there aren't as many forests, but the name stays.

On the contrary, I was very dumb at Geography, and still am I only have vague orientation on the map of the World, and I'm only better with the map of Europe - since I've been looking at it since who knows when. Political changes? Oh, we live in the era of political changes, one has to have a giant brain to track all these. Actually, as we learned it in school, Serbia is in South East Europe, and the northern part belongs to Middle Europe. But these things all change. For example, during the Middle Ages, and well into 19th century this part of Europe was regarded as Close East because of Turkish Empire and all that. Now it's South East, but also, Serbia is classified as West Balkans, which is something completely new to me, we were never taught that we were West Balkans country...

But it's all politics, and all politics is about dividing territories and people. Not that I don't have opinion on all these political changes, but I think politics only spoils fun, so I steer away from it, even in my country.

boom-moo

[16]Jan 27, 2010
    dpebbleson wrote:
    So it's like: France - hop! - Spain - hop! - France - hop! - Spain!
    Lol, pretty much. You can actually set one foot in each country. I love woods! I'll pull a Bradley here and say that I didn't want to use the word 'magical' not to sound like a cheap pun but I actually think that woods have some kind of a magical condition.

We live in an era of political changes indeed. The rest of the world sounds more stable but Europe has gone through loads of changes. There used to be two Germany, Russia was way bigger, there was a certain Yugoslavia and so on. My county claims independence from Spain and uses terrorism to achieve it so yeah, I also have my political views but stay away from it as much as I can.

Eurovision (the song contest show) seems to have more and more new countries taking part each year

So, in sum, I would certainly fail a Geography exam at present.

dpebbleson

[17]Jan 27, 2010

Yeah, I know of Eurovision - it's getting both richer (in terms of the number of countries) and cheaper (in other terms ).

Yes, there was a certain Yugoslavia, and a lot of 'certains' before and after; and I know of Basque thing, and of Catalonia thing as well; and Scotland; and a certain province in North Italy. But I can't say I have an opinion on the latter four, as I am not so much informed to give even an educated guess. Because if I did, I'm sure somebody (I'm not talking about you, but really anybody who would be reading this, and is from one of these regions) would show me how wrong I am - and with all the right in the world. With these things I choose to be extra extra careful. They are never as simple as "I support" or "I do not support", because so many factors are intermingled, so many influences, so many people on both sides, that nobody can be completely right nor completely wrong. That's why I hate it when all those singers and pop-stars make a concert and support this and that independence. The truth is they heard it on the news a night before the gig, and are just following their uncontrolled desire to be outspoken, to "express themselves". And naturally enough, as the consequence, you get a lot of insulted people all around.

And that's why I, instead of watching news (which I have not been doing for almost two years), turn on my computer and watch 'Merlin', for example. Escapism is underrated.

boom-moo

[18]Jan 27, 2010
    dpebbleson wrote:
    Yeah, I know of Eurovision - it's getting both richer (in terms of the number of countries) and cheaper (in other terms
    Lmao! Most definitely. Ever since the Spanish contestant has been chosen by votes of the audience, people vote for the most grotesque, usually people paid by private tv stations just to mess with it all I can't tell I care though, I've never been a fan of Eurovision but there's something nice about countries coming together to have some fun.

I absolutely agree with you. There's not an universal truth about most conflicts and I always feel like I don't have enough information to have a proper opinion, let alone to express it in public. I even am reluctant to take part in debates when I have a good knowledge of the matter at discussion, I rather keep my opinions and thoughts about controversial stuff private except for very rare occasions like my anti bullfighting blogs.

Anyway, you are absolutely right. I'd rather watch Merlin and let fantasy inforce me to daydream than dealing with the crude reality.

Isn't this pub a nice place to chat?

dpebbleson

[19]Jan 27, 2010

Oh, Eurovision Song Contest is getting funnier every year! Every time completely different persona wins, last year it was that Belorussian/Norwegian singer, and his was a fine performance, but before that I don't really remember. Even my country won I think two years ago, but I didn't like the song that much, for which I was called hater. It's just that the girl that was representing us went in the same elementary school and high school as me, and though I never knew her personally (thank heavens), I knew a lot about her. Most of it really being hilarious.

But it is really a cheerful event, kitsch and all that, and I've heard a metal-singer call it one of the most retrograde things in European music.

And yes people here also elect the most bizarre song to represent us, last year it was some grotesque group. Luckily enough, the rest of the Europe didn't know the lyrics, or else they would have been exposed to a massive amount of nothing And nothing can be sometimes ten times heavier than stone something This year a composer is going to write three or four songs for different "artists", so we choose. But even that composer is 'composer'. You might have heard of him. His name is Goran Bregovic, and he has done music for several European films. In fact 98% of his composing is taking Serbian folk tunes from some forgotten village that no one has heard of, and then rearranging them into his compositions.

There are so many better composers, singers and performers here, but they never get to go to Eurovision. And it's probably for the best

As for politics, I'm glad we agree. To be honest, I haven't even stated this 'opinion' of mine about all that stuff, and have only scratched the surface of how much I hate politics, and still I feel as if I have touched upon some filth - which it is. Even mentioning it has an effect...

Luckily enough, there is a whole other world outside it to discuss! And cheers to that!

Edit: And yeah, this pub is a great place for all sorts of things!

Edited on 01/27/2010 5:07pm

boom-moo

[20]Jan 27, 2010
    I dunno who is going to represent Spain this year. They are discussing if they should let the audience choose again because some grotesque candidates are already popping in We are lucky indeed that the lyrics aren't understood, our song last year was just a string of stupid nonsense.

I've heard of Goran Bregovic but I sadly can't pinpoint any score of composition by him. I bet that a professional would do a nice job with the song, I should pay attention to Eurovision this year then, I usually just see the Spanish contestant and then the voting in some kind of sadistic amusement.

I like folk a lot, especially Irish folk.

And yeah, just barely talking about some stuff makes my mood change.

Thank you for the lovely conversation, Danko. I already feel as I know you better. I'm off for the night though, I must be bright and early sat behind my office desk in less than 6 hours

I'll probably come over to have breakfast here anyway Good night and a big hug your way!