Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Welcome to "The Rising Sun" tavern! (Off-topic Thread)

ericsprau

[21]Jan 27, 2010
    • level: 11
    boom-moo wrote:
    What's a T3 line?

A T3 line is a VERY fast internet connection. Average speeds of 100MBPS download. Generally considered the second best connection you can get in the US. Fiber-optics has since replaced T3.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[22]Jan 28, 2010
    • level: 75
    Thank you, Eric I haven't heard of it here. I'd say we don't have it but maybe it's just proof of how misinformed I am on the matter.

illegalferret

[23]Jan 28, 2010
    • level: 25

Wow! We're are truely international forum!! It's brilliant and i love the internet for allowing us all to chat! On the goegraphy front mine ain't bad i knew where the countries tho not necessarily the places within them! I too didn't know what T3 meant!

I've had a better day at school today and have decided the observation was a 1 off and won't happen again (that badly!). I'm determinded to teach and i wont let anyone stop me (specially not the evil woman who spoke to me at uni today !)

x

dpebbleson

[24]Jan 28, 2010
    • level: 23
    illegalferret wrote:

Wow! We're are truely international forum!! It's brilliant and i love the internet for allowing us all to chat! On the goegraphy front mine ain't bad i knew where the countries tho not necessarily the places within them! I too didn't know what T3 meant!

I've had a better day at school today and have decided the observation was a 1 off and won't happen again (that badly!). I'm determinded to teach and i wont let anyone stop me (specially not the evil woman who spoke to me at uni today !)

x

Don't let them discourage you. Many of these "observation-people" are merely frustrated, and take their private matters on someone else. And they often think arrogance is a virtue, a proof that they are somehow better than you, when in fact they are either shallow and hiding it by their imperious stance, or vulnerable and insecure and trying not to show it. As one of the assistant lecturers on my faculty said, an authority doesn't need to tell you he or she is authority, one simply recognizes that in a person.

Ok, this was really psychological. Just do your own thing, people will of course put obstacles, but with strong determination you'll pass them. And I admire you earnestness to work with such young children - I've always been terrified of teaching little kids, I just wouldn't know how to approach them (and not to scare them ))

boom-moo

[25]Jan 28, 2010
    Hello people

Way to go Sarah! You sound like you love what you do, so don't let a bad experience stop you from achieving your goal.

illegalferret

[26]Jan 28, 2010

I'll try not to scare them!!

boom-moo

[27]Jan 28, 2010
    I have 4 nephews and a niece so I know they can be a handful. I highly admire you!

illegalferret

[28]Jan 28, 2010

thanks!

This is what i love about the people on this forum, we can all make each feel better! love you guys!

boom-moo

[29]Jan 28, 2010
    You are very welcome *many hugs your way*

dpebbleson

[30]Jan 28, 2010
    illegalferret wrote:

thanks!

This is what i love about the people on this forum, we can all make each feel better! love you guys!

Thank you!

Anyway, one more advice. It's not that I am that older than you and have some special wisdom you don't have - which I truly don't. You've probably heard this a lot of times, and while I cannot tell you if it is true, I can tell you it works to a degree. Don't waste your time fighting those to whom you are subordinated - like that "Observation Person". Follow their rules as much as you can until you claim some independence, then you go your way. I know this sounds like too much humility and being servile, but it works. You just close your mind, nod your head, and repeat "Yes Mrs. Whatever I'll do it, no problem..." Fighting these people is a lost battle if you don't have some protection. That also doesn't mean you need to acquire their methods and way of thinking. That means you pretend to acquire them until the storm is gone.

Take this from someone who still hasn't got his independence from his 'superiors', and who is silently fighting within, just to be able to, when time comes, fight on open field

boom-moo

[31]Jan 28, 2010
    And, short term consolation, it's already Friday tomorrow. Yay!

dpebbleson

[32]Jan 28, 2010

Now I'm confused Aren't we in the same time zone. My computer says 11:46 pm, so if I'm not clinging to the formality of some fifteen minutes till Friday, we aren't in the same zone.

Or I am in the Twilight Zone... Where time stops and hops, freezes and burns at its own will...

boom-moo

[33]Jan 28, 2010
    We are in the same time zone, I was the one clinging to the formality of some fifteen minutes till Friday (5 minutes scarcely now). Sarah is one hour behind us though

dpebbleson

[34]Jan 28, 2010

Three minutes!

Only an hour behind us? That's not much

boom-moo

[35]Jan 28, 2010
    Not much indeed but it makes a world of difference since she gets to watch Merlin as it airs while we have to wait *pouts*

dpebbleson

[36]Jan 28, 2010
    So she's from Britain? (Are you from Britain, illegalferret? )

boom-moo

[37]Jan 28, 2010
    She is (check post #5)

dpebbleson

[38]Jan 28, 2010
    My bad I remembered somebody mentioning non-brits, but somehow in my mind that permuted into brits, and therefore I thought of America

boom-moo

[39]Jan 28, 2010
    Has Merlin aired in Serbia?

Season 1 aired in here but it wasn't at all a success. The timezone and station weren't the most suitable though.

dpebbleson

[40]Jan 28, 2010

No, it hasn't. I heard about it, and through various channels on Internet (to use euphemism ) I got it, and enjoyed it, of course. I can't even remember how I stumbled into it, because it is not so known, despite having more viewers than, for example, Supernatural (which I've been also watching).

Here, if they air I show that I like, they air one season, and then suddenly stop, because of which I am forced to use aforementioned 'various channels' to satisfy my need for continuation/conclusion of the story You can only imagine how much these fantasy books with more then twelve installments frustrate me, having in mind how the translations into Serbian are done slowly, and I can't get English originals that easily.