Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Welcome to "The Rising Sun" tavern! (Off-topic Thread)

dpebbleson

[201]Mar 1, 2010
    • level: 23
    The story of Marie Antoinette is very related to the story of Mary Stuart. Both have been (in my opinion) wrongfully accused and executed. As for the famous statement by Marie Antoinette, "if you don't have bread, buy cakes", it's vastly misinterpreted. You probably know this, but in that time, if the bread ran out of bakeries, the bakers had to sell cakes at the same price as bread. So the statement wasn't intended as a mockery. And in fact, this statement is also misattributed - there isn't any evidence that she said it, and most probably it was said some fifty years before her death.

As for Mary Stuart there have been many many discrepancies in the accusation against her, and she was treated very badly, almost mercilessly by her cousin Elizabeth who refused to see her in 20 years she held her captive. Not to mention that she was held captive without any official court decision that she was guilty of anything against England.

An interesting thing is that nowadays queen of England is actually a descendant of Mary Stuart.

And a more interesting thing is that both Marie Antoinette and her husband were also descendants of Mary Stuart whose fate they obviously shared.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[202]Mar 1, 2010
    • level: 75
    Marie Antoinette was pretty much a captive too since her marriage to Louis XVI of France was agreed. She lived absolutely oblivious to the reality of the country she was made Queen of. And yeah, she made mistakes but she was mislead and misadviced by the courtiers around her who sought nothing but their own interest. And she was just a kid when she first set foot in France. She lived a miserable life not being for the joy her 4 kids brought her (even though she was hardly allowed to raise the males) and then she lost two to sickness and the other two were taken away from her when the French Revolution broke.

Really miserable lives and fates for both, and still they attract us like magnets

Do you watch The Tudors?

dpebbleson

[203]Mar 1, 2010
    I heard about the Tudors - I watched the part with Katie McGrath for obvious reasons I'd like to watch it, but in the conundrum of various TV shows I've been following, I can't find time for it. But as soon as the chance arrives, I'll start watching it.

I heard it's exciting, though not that accurate.

boom-moo

[204]Mar 1, 2010
    Not very accurate but it is really well done, I absolutely love it. Lol at Katie's part, that's an interesting one indeed but then 10% of the show consists of such scenes

ericsprau

[205]Mar 3, 2010
    • level: 11

Hi everyone! Short answer - I'M BACK! After some (very minor) surgery and time away, my computer is fixed, my connection is working again, I'm no longer near as sick, and I should be back for the long haul. Thank you all for your understanding and well wishes all this time.

Cry I've missed you guys.

I'll jump on that 'pedia ASAP.

boom-moo

[206]Mar 4, 2010
    Hey Eric It's great to hear such a string of good news, good to have you back

We are getting close to the weekend already, can't wait!

illegalferret

[207]Mar 5, 2010
    • level: 25

Hey Eric glad you're all ok again! Yay it's now offically the weekend!

Sorry for the lack of me here this week, but it's been a really tough week. Monday, was a kindda life changing day in my world. I was observed again and tho the lesson went ok, the man (different from last time but still nasty) decided that overall i wasn't going to meet the standard by the end of my placement (still at that point 4 weeks away!) so failed me CryThis all means that tho i can finish my degree this year i won't get the classification in the summer or graduate with all my friends in the autumn. It also means i have to re sit this placement next acdemic year, probably september but if not January and only when that is complete can i graduate! I was completely deversated as this small thing has changed all my plans for the coming year. So i've spent most of the week talking to my teacher, the schools head, friends, parents, sisters and Uni to try and come up with a new action plan for the next year! It's been tough but i think my head and ideas are now back in the right place. Im still in school for the next few weeks to gain experience, everyones told me i will make a great teacher i just needed more time than the uni could give me to get used to the younger children.

But like i said its now the weekend, Erics back and hopefully the rest of you guys are all ok! *hug*

boom-moo

[208]Mar 6, 2010
    Morning all

I'm really sorry Sarah *huggles* Too bad that the observer failed you without giving you the chance for further improvement before the placement is over. Maybe a second opinion would have been different.

Anyway, I'm glad you didn't despair, got focused and took action to find a way to make the most of your next year so it isn't a lost one. You are a brave girl, Sarah *is proud* and I have no doubt you'll make a great teacher. That thing you did this week is certainly a good example to learn from.

I'm off now since I have a busy morning and I guess busy day so I'll wish you all a great Saturday!

illegalferret

[209]Mar 7, 2010

Thanks Esther It's been tough but the only way can is up so i gotta try to stay positive.

I hope you hada great saturday and that sunday ain't half bad either!

boom-moo

[210]Mar 7, 2010
    I'm glad you are staying positive. If life gives you lemons then you'd rather make lemonade, right?

I had a very good but really busy weekend. Hope yours was also a nice one *hugs*

illegalferret

[211]Mar 9, 2010

Randomly. i was just watching anold episode from late 2008 of a tv show called Live at the Apollo (it features live stand up comedy) and it one of the shots of the audience i spotted Bradley James laughing! I had to go back and rewatch but it was him allright!! It was a very funny show that i loved anyway but spotting Bradley made me love it even more, even if it was only for a few seconds!

boom-moo

[212]Mar 9, 2010
    He's been three times at the Live at the Apollo that I know of: Nov 28th 2008, Dec 5th 2008 and Oct 29th 2009 *is a nerd*

dpebbleson

[213]Mar 9, 2010
    He's a good actor though

boom-moo

[214]Mar 9, 2010
    dpebbleson wrote:
    He's a good actor though
    Oh, indeed he is. I meant it is me the nerd for keeping track of those facts

dpebbleson

[215]Mar 9, 2010
    Nah, I was just kidding on how uninformed I am on all these things, and virtually everything I can comment on is the acting skill

Just to note, I don't like actors and the acting business very much, maybe because most of the actors I saw in the interviews are just empty people repeating someone else's words. I always put more stress on the writers.

In spite of this, I quite like the 'Merlin' acting staff. They are very good. I haven't watched many of these interviews or extras, but the aforementioned actor seems to be a true 'party-maker'

And Katie McGrath reminds me of some girls that I know

P.S. But just for you to see what kind of hypocrite I am - I must admit (if I haven't already) that I acted in a faculty play. Which in turn made me hate the acting thing even more. I was virtually persuaded by a friend, but, of course, I'm no actor, and don't proud myself with good impersonating skills (nor do I feel a need for them), therefore the whole experience was sort-of a new thing for me, I learned a few things about working withing groups, memorizing text. Then I put it in my CV

Some people are just born to be actors. I did watch BJ interview in the theatre, and the thing that caught my attention was when he mentioned a film, "Labyrinth" I think, how he explained the intonation thing in a very understandable way, and then imitated the whole sentence from it.

A) I wouldn't even notice the specific intonation, B) Much less, imitate it successfully.

But then again, I'm no actor.

And 'Merlin' people are, I repeat, pretty good actors. If there are any faults, blame it on the writers, who sometimes write too cheesy stuff

boom-moo

[216]Mar 9, 2010
    I think it is a 50% and 50%. A good script without a good writer and viceversa is bond to disaster.

I have been both greatly surprised by actors/actresses whom I didn't like much on screen and profoundly disappointed by actors/actresses whom I did like a lot on screen when listening to some interviews (live ones, I don't trust much what is written cause it's usually abridged, manipulated and whatnot). Last one to surprise me greatly (although I can't tell I didn't like her on screen) has been Emilia Fox. She is intelligent, witty, gentle, kind and very human in the best way

I like the Merlin cast a lot as well, even Johnny Capps (executive producer) and Jeremy Webb (director). The one I like the least in interviews is Katie McGrath, she repeats herself a lot, tends to focus a lot on herself/her own character and her audio comments are really meh. Anthony Head and Bradley James are really nice and funny but Colin Morgan is just terrific.

I had to take acting lessons in high school, which was alright mainly because it meant a break from sitting through boring lessons (with which I was perfectly comfortable but still). I wasn't bad at performing random roles but I didn't find myself good enough (and I certainly didn't feel like it) to impersonate a well known literary character. And above all, I am not one who likes to be on the spot. So when the time came to put up a play and act it in one of the city's theatres no less, I chose to be off stage and in charge of the programs

BJ's interview for a Night Less Ordinary is indeed very revealing about how passionate he is about his profession, which made it a delight to watch.

ericsprau

[217]Mar 11, 2010
    • level: 11
    FYI everyone, I plan on making a massive update to the 'Pedia which includes some formatting changes, addition of creatures and monsters, and all proofing submitted to me thus far. It should be ready in a few hours from the time of this post. If you have any updates you have finished or proofing you haven't sent to me yet, get it in now. The next update won't be for another week or two.

boom-moo

[218]Mar 11, 2010
    I'm still working on some missing characters as I'm really busy with other things too.

I'm gonna have to totally redo the spoilers entries so I can keep quoting them and adding to them, among some other tv.com and non tv.com stuff.

Work in progress

illegalferret

[219]Mar 12, 2010

Yay it's the weekend at last!!

I hope you've all had a good week. Mine's just ended with me spending the day in school dressed as a Witch's Cat, whilst doing things like,helping the children to build Baby Bear a new chair and to redesign the Witch's Gigerbread Cottage. It's fun being a student teacher sometimes!

Right I'd better go rack my brains as to what episode we can rewatch this week!

boom-moo

[220]Mar 12, 2010
    It's the weekend indeed, woohoo!

I had a long week but the weekend has been great so far and tomorrow is gonna be nice too. Sunday I'll be more around since I don't have plans so I'm looking forward to your episode choice, Sarah