Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Welcome to "The Rising Sun" tavern! (Off-topic Thread)

illegalferret

[221]Mar 16, 2010
    • level: 25

A few little quotes from the kids in my class to cheer you all up in the middle of the week:

Child: A man from the government read to us. (She meant the chair of the school governers!)

Teacher: What are those houses called when people live one on top of the over?

Child: A flap (she meant Flat!)

Me: Can you give me some names of countries?

Child: Wolverhampton

You gotta love them they are only 5 and 6 years old!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[222]Mar 16, 2010
    • level: 75

Lmao, I love kids' logic, it's just so simple and fun. My nephews make me crack up a lot with their ideas and occurrences. Thanks for sharing, Sarah

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!

Edited on 03/17/2010 2:38am

illegalferret

[223]Mar 18, 2010

OMG!! I LOVE your new icon!!! x

boom-moo

[224]Mar 18, 2010
    It's really cute, isn't it? I was so glad when I stumbled upon it. And there are icons of the rest of the characters too! artmer46 is a great artist

dpebbleson

[225]Mar 18, 2010
    • level: 24
    I'm finally back!

This cannot be more off-topic, but has actually been touched upon previously.

If you happen to watch Eurovision Song Contest, please skip Serbian entry. It is, as Esther wisely said back then about these songs, a string of nonsense.

And I mean a serious string of nonsense. It's not like Eurovision is really important or consequential, but really, what we have chosen to represent us is below any standards of quality. It is shallow, stupid, meaningless, kitsch to the point of becoming the art - of kitsch. Not that we had a chance to choose something better. All three songs in competition were written by Goran Bregovic. Actually, they weren't written, they were probably stolen, recycled over and over again, brass was added and some drums, and that's all.

Bregovic is a master thief. I don't know if he ever wrote an original melody. All he does is go around the world, pick up melodies, cut them apart, and then conjoin them again, add some brass, and some drums, like I said, and that's all. And he is proud that he has sold more than 6 million CDs... I don't know who actually buys his garbage. Maybe some folks from Western Europe who don't know how false his music is.

And unlike what is said in the song, it ISN'T Balkans. Nor is it Serbia. It's just another attempt of a generation of our "artists" to make up some imaginary Serbia or Balkans where people wake up with the sound of brass, have lunch with the sound of brass, go to bed with the sound of brass, and in the meantime they jump instead of walking, or ride horses on the streets, or live in some part of the world forgotten by time, and such...

People in the rest of the world, especially Western Europe seem to buy it though, and thusly many prejudices about this part of the world.

I repeat, this isn't Serbia, this isn't our culture, it's much more - this is something worthless, without depth, without folklore (even though it advertises itself as folk music), without ethnic, without mythological, without lyrical value, without musical skill...

But you'll see - or even better, don't see it at all!

boom-moo

[226]Mar 18, 2010
    Hey Danko *hugs* How have you been?

I can't tell that whom we have chosen to represent us is any good, but at least it's not cheesy and embarrassing like it was last year. The guy seems to do the best he can, which is something *sigh* It's been a long time since Eurovision Song Contest lost its cla_ss anyway. I'll watch the votations for the fun of it, I guess *shrugs*

And don't worry, I would never think that anything that can be seen in Eurovision actually represents with the faintest chance of accuracy the culture, folklore or spirit of the country they represent I've learnt my lesson ages ago.

I'm sorry you feel so disappointed *hugs*

illegalferret

[227]Mar 18, 2010

Don't worry the UK's Eurovision song is ashocker! Proper terrible cheesey pop, considering the amazing amount of musical talent Britain has its well embrassing! Mind you we could send the best song in the world and we still wouldn't win!

dpebbleson

[228]Mar 18, 2010
    I've been pretty fine, thanks! I've really recovered after a tedious semester! How are you?

It's not that I'm disappointed. I couldn't care less about Eurovision Song Contest, and I think I haven't watched the last one - though I thought our song couldn't get worse. And it did.

It's just that these people represent Serbia and, more widely, Balkans in the same fashion over and over again, and I am sick of it. Because of this, Bregovic will probably become even more popular, and not so many people have a critical mind as you have to filter garbage. And what essentially bugs me is that there are many wonderful singers, or composers, or songs here that never make it just because some untalented thief learned the act of selling out.

People react to popularity as the mark of quality, so here I've heard people call him an 'eclectic artist'... Hah! Eclectic, if eclectic means this sorry patchwork of nothing. And I've noticed this as a world-wide phenomenon. As soon as someone is branded an artist he/she is allowed to do anything, write garbage, compose garbage, paint garbage, and it'll still be called art, avant-garde and such.

I'd give some example but my brain has stopped. Probably because of listening to too much brass and drums...

dpebbleson

[229]Mar 18, 2010

illegalferret wrote:

Don't worry the UK's Eurovision song is ashocker! Proper terrible cheesey pop, considering the amazing amount of musical talent Britain has its well embrassing! Mind you we could send the best song in the world and we still wouldn't win!

Yeah, you probably wouldn't win because of this block voting. The entire Scandinavia votes for itself, ex-Soviet block votes for itself, Balkan region votes for itself... It's a charade, really

I've changed my mind. I say we watch it, and make jokes about it, like 'What we have learned from Eurovision songs...?', 'Which is the worst song?', 'Which singer is Merlin/Morgana lookalike' and such

Euromerlin song contest!

Edited on 03/18/2010 2:49pm
    Edited 3 total times.

boom-moo

[230]Mar 18, 2010
    illegalferret wrote:
    Mind you we could send the best song in the world and we still wouldn't win!
    Lol, guess that applies to every country that takes part

I like the fact that a bunch of countries can join in peace to celebrate music, the European Union or whatever they do celebrate. No matter how random the reason and how cheesy the show, it's kind of nice. Aside from that, it's absolutely avoidable as a show.

Glad to hear you've been well, Danko. Back to cla_sses, right? I've been meh but now I'm better, thanks for asking

I totally see your point and I fully agree. Popularity has nothing to do with quality or a truthful representation of the reality of a country but hey

dpebbleson

[231]Mar 18, 2010
    Yup, back to cla_sses!

Geez, do I sound cheerful...?!

We've almost made it the third month! By september we're gonna starve... Though it seems to me like time has sped up, at least in my life...

boom-moo

[232]Mar 18, 2010
    You do sound cheerful about being back to cla_ss indeed Lol

I'm going through the hiatus better than I thought. You guys here are a constant source of joy and entertainment. Bless you all

dpebbleson

[233]Mar 18, 2010

Actually the Spanish song isn't that bad, I've just watched it. And what does Algo pequeñito mean? Something tiny? I guess it isn't some 'tiny algae' as the sounds remind of that

I've watched the British song, it is cheesy.

boom-moo

[234]Mar 18, 2010

dpebbleson wrote:
    what does Algo pequeñito mean? Something tiny?

That's it, something very little. I can't remember what is about, I think love but I wasn't paying much attention the only I heard it

dpebbleson

[235]Mar 18, 2010
    Hahaha...

Actually I didn't know what 'algo' meant The other word was familiar, but the first one wasn't, so I just wrote something tiny, for you to tell me what that something is.

Then when you wrote back, yes, something tiny, I was taken aback Whoa, she didn't tell me what! So I checked in google translate - and you did tell me - that 'something' was something - or better, that something was 'something'

I hope you understand this mess of thoughts

Yeah, it probably is about love. They all are about love...

boom-moo

[236]Mar 18, 2010
    dpebbleson wrote:
    I hope you understand this mess of thoughts
    Lol, I did. It's actually quite funny, I can see how I confused you with my reply

dpebbleson

[237]Mar 18, 2010

Gaius is the best of those icons With that raised brow, he's hilarious...

boom-moo

[238]Mar 18, 2010

Yeah, I noticed about the eyebrow, it's too funny

Why the wolf in your icon, Danko?

Edited on 03/18/2010 4:34pm

illegalferret

[239]Mar 19, 2010

The dragon is my fave! He lookssoooo cute!

It's the weekend btw!

boom-moo

[240]Mar 19, 2010
    Long weekend for me since today was bank holiday in here. We celebrated St. Joseph, Father's Day

Edit:

Have a wonderful day filled with magic *many hugs your way*
    Edited on 03/25/2010 12:28am