Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Welcome to "The Rising Sun" tavern! (Off-topic Thread)

illegalferret

[241]Mar 26, 2010
    • level: 25

We've reached it again, the weekend! I hope you've all had a good week. Mine's been pretty good i had my last day in school yesterday which was pretty sad, tho i did get to spend my final afternoon helping the children to make a meter long3d model crocodile! Now that was fun, tho i ended with pva glue all over my arms, in my hair and on my skirt!

I'm meant to be packing at the mo as my Dad's coming tomorrow to take me home for Easter, but i hate packing! What's everyone up to over the weekend? x

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[242]Mar 26, 2010
    • level: 75
    Hey Sarah, hey all It's the weekend again indeed

Sorry you are done with school, I bet you are gonna miss the kids but hey, gotta move on

I don't like packing either but I never spend much time doing it. I usually do a list first not to forget what's really important (especially when I'm on holidays or doing some kind of trip, like documents, electricity adapters, cell and camera chargers, tons of bandaids and so) and the rest I could live without even if I leave something behind. Would most likely be replaceable anyway

I don't have big plans for the weekend other than dinner with my friends on Sat night which should be fun

dpebbleson

[243]Mar 26, 2010
    • level: 23
    I always thought teaching little kids the language course was the hardest thing in universe - after teaching computers to the adults, of course

But, there is something much harder.

It's teaching adults the language course.

I've been teaching a business English course to two adults. Geezz... The most common thing people in Serbia want from their English teacher is:

1. TO SPEAK ENGLISH
    2. TO SPEAK ENGLISH
    3. TO SPEAK ENGLISH

Of course, that's nonsense, I'd like to learn to speak Finnish in three months (the duration of the course, I'm entering the third month), but NO-CAN-DO.

So the first thing they asked me is not to go by the book, or give them some formulaic practices - they want "TO SPEAK ENGLISH".

But I'm the teacher, of course, so I gave them a one-month crash course in the basic grammar, tenses. Then after the month they were quite enraged, so they asked to SPEAK ENGLISH.

Okay, said I, if you want, let's speak. So I spent hours preparing telephone conversations, discussion topics, and lo! They were satisfied!

But the day before yesterday, one of them was all enraged (probably because the other adult spoke English - flawed - but spoke it, and tried really hard, while this creature just sat complaining). "I WANT TO PRACTICE!"

"But didn't you say you wanted conversation?" replied myself and me.

"I cannot talk because I don't know words. And I want to learn something."

"But you are practicing speech..."

"Don't interrupt me!" (Geezz...) "I want to do the practices, I want to go through the book, I don't want to do anything home, I want to learn everything here [Yeah, right, with 8 hours per month you are probably going to become a talk-show host on BBC]..."

I didn't say the thing in brackets, of course Nor did I say that it was her in the first place who didn't want to do practices and go by the book, as usual (and meaningless) courses do.

Not that I was worried. And I am not. I'm going to implement her 'BRAVE NEW STRATEGY' to the last word, and when she's again not satisfied at the end of the month, she can rant as much as she wants - I'll be leaving

So kids might be inattentive, but adults are seriously rude just because they are older than you, or some rubbish like that.

And I think I itched her even more with my peaceful, smiling face, while she was bursting fire

But the point is probably that I've heard this a thousand times. Every single student I had wanted TO SPEAK ENGLISH, and not TO LEARN SOME BORING GRAMMAR.

Sorry nothing without grammar. And without courage to speak up, make mistakes, and learn from them. I'll never speak as a Brit, but at least I'll try to.

illegalferret

[244]Mar 27, 2010

Oh dear teaching people languages sounds horribly tough! But good for you Danko for standing your ground! It took me years of learning french in school before i could possibly hold some type of conversation in French and now i've forgotten most of it because i've never used it!! I'm gonna stick to teaching children under 11 they're normally not rude and instead are highly entertaining and often gratefully that you've trying to teach them something!

boom-moo

[245]Mar 27, 2010
    dpebbleson wrote:
    [Yeah, right, with 8 hours per month you are probably going to become a talk-show host on BBC]..."
    Lmao, I think 6 hours would suffice

dpebbleson wrote:
    So kids might be inattentive, but adults are seriously rude just because they are older than you, or some rubbish like that.
    Very true. Adults are generally speaking a pain to be taught anything.

dpebbleson wrote:
    And I think I itched her even more with my peaceful, smiling face, while she was bursting fire
    Way to go!

I've taught English to kids and even though they had days when I felt like strangling them, they learnt a lot and I felt really accomplished. I tried with adults once and it wasn't half as self rewarding.

You are a brave guy, Danko!

dpebbleson

[246]Mar 27, 2010
    I'm not some egomaniac wanting fear and respect from the students, but kids have some degree of what we call in Serbian "fear-respect", something like positive awe. I've taught kids, and they have confidence in you and let you do it as you planned it.

Adults, on the other hand, have some good sides, that you don't need to force them to do homework (well, the aforementioned lady actually does ), they take it somewhat more seriously, and are way more practical, so you don't have to play games to get their attention.

Yeah, kids are more rewarding! I remember I was first year at the faculty when I got some really high mark on the exam, and wasn't very excited, I don't know why, perhaps, it wasn't my moment, or maybe I didn't think the course was all that important. But the same day a kid I was teaching called me, and told me he got A in English test, and here I was, jumping in the hallway of the faculty, and people positively stunned that I reacted to some kid's A better than to my own A

About the peaceful face First, I don't like fighting with anybody. I could've told her I was the teacher, have the diploma, studied those and those courses, methodology, psychology, etc. but I figured she was adult person, and I just don't wanna fight. It's her life, if she wants it that way, let her have it. It's not like I am earning some great money for holding this course, it's just enough that I may enjoy myself going out, buying some clothes or such. Life is short to waste it on being angry, nervous and such.

And the other dimension to it is that I figured you get people more angry by being peaceful, and not entering the discussion. There is this famous logic I heard from someone: there are people who are very good in verbal fights, and if you let them draw you into them, you are descending to their level, fighting on their grounds, and they will win. So I won by ignoring her. I think she was far angrier and stressed out than I was

boom-moo

[247]Mar 27, 2010
    dpebbleson wrote:
    people positively stunned that I reacted to some kid's A better than to my own A
    Been there, done that I was proud to take all the credit for my own good mark, but I was even prouder to take the credit share tha was mine in the kid's mark, and that felt really good!

dpebbleson wrote:
    And the other dimension to it is that I figured you get people more angry by being peaceful, and not entering the discussion.
    There's a Spanish saying that goes (something like): "there's no bigger disdain than the smallest regard" [No hay mayor desprecio que el menor aprecio]. I fully agree with it.

dpebbleson

[248]Mar 27, 2010
    And another great saying.

In Serbian: Psi laju, karavan prolazi.
    In English: The dogs bark, but the caravan passes anyway.

boom-moo

[249]Mar 27, 2010
    Lol, I love it!

People, go check the spoilers and the Join the Magic threads, I've posted a little something in both

dpebbleson

[250]Mar 28, 2010
    Hehehe, a little music from one of the most favourite and famouse TV characters!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNaegHyZqeU

Isn't he awesome!

boom-moo

[251]Mar 28, 2010
    Lol, I bet Lady Gaga are truly flattered Gotta love Kenny!

May I make a girly suggestion? I love how the lyrics match the clips

dpebbleson

[252]Mar 28, 2010
    OMG, they killed Kenny!
    -You bastards! Cartman: "I'm not fat, I'm just big-boned!" "I'm not fat, I'm buff!"

The video: "Where the freaks come around..." - the scene where Gwen and Vivian appear in the hall

"Where they go hardcore..." - the scene with sex hahahah

They matched it pretty well

boom-moo

[253]Mar 29, 2010
    dpebbleson wrote:
    Cartman: "I'm not fat, I'm just big-boned!"
    Lfmao! Did you watch the movie? (I dunno if there's more than one) "Blame Canada", it cracked me up.

dpebbleson wrote:
    The video: "Where the freaks come around..." - the scene where Gwen and Vivian appear in the hall
    Lol yeah. I would have chosen one of Vivian on her own though. Although my favourite matching clips are the "take it off" ones

dpebbleson

[254]Mar 29, 2010
    Hahah! I watched it several times, last time a few days ago. Should we blame our society? Should we blame our values? Should we blame our schools? Should we blame ourselves?

BLAME CANADA!

And the song about Kyle's mom is pretty catchy and addictive as well

Eric Cartman (when Butters tells him maybe God won't forgive him for all he did): God forgave the Jews, why wouldn't he forgive me!

boom-moo

[255]Mar 29, 2010
    I should rewatch it, it's been a long time since I last did. I remember cracking up once and again over the same jokes. Glad to know you like it too!

How is everyone doing? Any plans for Easter? I have Thursday to Monday off Students have two entire weeks though *pouts* I am not a religious person so Easter just means to me some mini holidays, which are always much welcome!

dpebbleson

[256]Mar 29, 2010
    I'm not religious either, but I kinda like Easter. I don't know how it is done elsewhere, but here we paint eggs (that is done elsewhere ), and then compete in cracking them, you know, I have a blue egg, and e.g. Esther has a red one, and then we hit egg with an egg, and then whomsoever wins, gets the opponent's egg. Let's say Esther won, and then she competes with Sarah, who has a yellow egg.

Well, I'm not gonna decide who wins there

Also, I heard that this year Orthodox and Catholic Easters are going to be on the same day.

boom-moo

[257]Mar 29, 2010
    Whoever with the blue egg (aka Danko) will surely win, cause blue is the prettiest colour ever lol

dpebbleson wrote:
    I don't know how it is done elsewhere, but here we paint eggs (that is done elsewhere
    Not here, there is no egg tradition whatsoever. Actually we do absolutely nothing at all. Well, religious people go to mass I guess but that's all.

dpebbleson

[258]Mar 30, 2010

No eggs? Hmmm, where did I see them then... I remember it was in some country with no Orthodox church. But maybe it's just the slip of my mind.

Blue may be prettiest (I like blue), but there's a lot of cheating done. For example, some use not the eggs of a hen, but of a turkey, for example, which is harder, and a certified egg-breaker.

And there are virtually competitions in egg-slamming. When I was a kid, everybody would take their egg all across the neighbourhood and compete. There were of course, famous eggs, and famous egg-killers But as I get it, traditionally, the eggs should be red, which is a colour that in Christianity symbolizes Christ. When someone gives you a red egg, it's called "chuvarkucha", which means "home-keeper", an egg that you must keep safe and unbroken for a year, and in return it will bring good health and luck to your family. I think I have one such egg in a drawer or something

Edited on 03/30/2010 9:23am

illegalferret

[259]Mar 30, 2010

Easter for me is a 4 week break from Uni However i a dissertation to write so it's not really a break at all! I'm not religous but at Easter i always get 1 chocolate Easter egg from the "Easter Bunny" aka my mother! Easter sunday is also a time in my world to meet up with the family, so me, my sisters and my parents are going to have a pub lunch with all 3 of my grandparents which will be lovely!

On another note i finally have my own laptop back, it was taken to be fixed back in the middle of january (there was a fault with the sound card) they lent my a spare (which is what i've been using for the past few months) but today it came back complete with a new hardrive the fixing people said that my old one was failing, but i don't care its back

boom-moo

[260]Mar 30, 2010
    Pretty amazed here about the whole egg talk, sounds like Chinese to me. Looks like I got the cool red egg after all

Very glad to hear you have your laptop back, Sarah I read in Facebook (yea, I logged in ) that you didn't have it yet so I'm glad with the newsflash!