TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Welcome to "The Rising Sun" tavern! (Off-topic Thread)

boom-moo

[61]Jan 29, 2010
    • level: 75
    Hi and bye, Danko. Hope your night is not as boring as you presume. Talk tomorrow
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dpebbleson

[62]Jan 30, 2010
    • level: 24

Howdy! Thanks, Esther for your wishes, but the night was really as boring as I predicted, if not even more

Anyway, look what I found on the Internet. It caught my attention because of Morgana:

Morgan is apparently nickname derived from Welsh, meaning "white-haired". Now picture Morgana white-haired

Also, I found out about your name as well.

It seems to derive from Persian, and means "Star"

So which star are you, Esther, morning or evening star, Galadriel or Arwen?

Edited on 01/30/2010 7:54am

boom-moo

[63]Jan 30, 2010
    Hello all Sorry your night was boring, Danko.

I knew about the origin and meaning of my name, thanks for researching though I am not a morning person at all so I'll go with evening star to the lack of a night one. I am a night person, my biorhythms have always worked better at night. I was born at 2am with my eyes wide open for a reason

What does your name mean, by the way? Call me crazy but I can actually picture Morgana with long white hair when she grows old. Maybe the fact that I've seen other Morganas depicted that way helps there.

illegalferret

[64]Jan 30, 2010
    • level: 25

Evening guys! Hows your saturday been? I've had a good day with my big sister who i hadn't seen in a while. It's great to shop and chat, so my days been really great! I'm now curled up in my pj's in front of the tv with a glass of wine! lol!!

boom-moo

[65]Jan 30, 2010
    Hey Sarah

Great to hear you had a fun day! Mine has been pretty quiet since it's been raining cats and dogs all day long. I got confined at home but at least I know how to entertain myself. I did some house chores, then a big chunk of a hard puzzle, read a bit, had a friend over who brought me some very old camping pictures that I just scanned and now I'm sending them by email to everyone who took part in the camping trip So I hardly got ou of my pj's but it wasn't that bad.

dpebbleson

[66]Jan 30, 2010

My name is a mystery never to be solved... Except in some new novel by Dan Brown

Just kidding of course. You can break my name Danko into two morphemes - 'dan' + 'ko'. 'ko' is just a suffix that's used for male names across Serbia, and is very recurrent, in names such as Janko, Darko, Boshko, Zvonko, and such. It just makes a name male; other example would be Italian Marco, where this 'Mar' is derived from Mars, god of war, and 'co' is just used to make it a name. Let us return to 'dan' - it means day in Serbian, and I think in many other Slavic languages, so all in all it translates do Dayman, Dayboy or such. My friends sometimes make a joke that my name would be in English Dayco But as you, I also work better at night, stay up very late, and get up very late in the morning - or even not in the morning at all

So that's it A rather longish explanation

boom-moo

[67]Jan 30, 2010

Hey Danko

Very nice explanation, I enjoyed reading through it There was a Darko Kovacevic (not sure about the spelling there ) playing in our local football team.

dpebbleson wrote:
    stay up very late, and get up very late in the morning - or even not in the morning at all
    That's totally me whenever I can, aka weekends and holidays. Unfortunately my work shift starts at 8am which forces me to go to bed way earlier than I'd wish. Still my bedtime is around 3am-4am, crazy as it sounds. But then I take a good after lunch nap

Edited on 01/30/2010 12:48pm

dpebbleson

[68]Jan 30, 2010

Your spelling is good, both Darko and Kovacevic (which is read Kovachevich) are pretty common names; and I think I heard of that football player... Also, this Darko name sometimes irritate me very much: it has nothing to do with the name, it's just that my name is pretty rare, and Darko is, as I said, very common ('dar' means gift, by the way ), so teachers, people in bureaucracy and such always mix up names and call me Darko. And my handwriting sometimes doesn't help either

I've read in newspapers two or three weeks ago that biorhythm that we both live according to is in fact pretty unhealthy, and that one should wake up sometime around dawn. And when I read 'dawn', my immediate reaction was to yawn I would like if I could change it that quickly, but I doubt that. And I sincerely doubt I will ever be able to wake around dawn, as much as dawn is very beautiful time of day... It's just that I have more concentration to work and think during the evening and night, than during the day, when my thoughts easily stray away, so I have to catch them all over the place, and chase them with a broomstick!

By the way, where do you work?

boom-moo

[69]Jan 30, 2010
    dpebbleson wrote:
    And my handwriting sometimes doesn't help either
    Lmao! I have a neat handwriting but my last name happens to be spelt so it breaks the grammatical rules so, same as you do, I have to double check that it gets written right in its "wrongness".

dpebbleson wrote:
    when I read 'dawn', my immediate reaction was to yawn
    Lol!Well, I get to see dawns before going to sleep sometimes Maybe it is not a healthy biorhythm but it's the one that makes sense to me. You wouldn'l like to know how grumpy I am when I get up early, no matter for how long I've slept. It is as if it simply doesn't suit my body. I also have more concentration to work, think, read, write, study... you name it during the night. I might get random inspiration during the day so I write down those ideas in a notebook I carry in my bag and then elaborate on them during the night. Also when I was a student, I wasn't able to plan a studying schedule of all the material weeks before an exam. I have always been terrible at learning things by heart so all my studying consisted on staying up the night before an exam. It worked fine for me.

I work as a secretary

dpebbleson

[70]Jan 30, 2010

Yeah, I think I saw dawn too by staying up too much. As genius Ambrose Bierce put it in his "Devil's Dictionary":

Dawn: Time when men of reason go to bed.

And considering it is now 3:07 am, dawn is at hand, but I think I'll not stay awake for it.

So see you tomorrow! I had no time to comment on the episode yet, because I can't gather my brains to say something meaningful, but I'll try tomorrow, as this is one of my favourite episodes.

"My job is to woo...!"

Well, my job is to sleep now.

ericsprau

[71]Jan 30, 2010
    • level: 11
    boom-moo wrote:
    Thank you, Eric I haven't heard of it here. I'd say we don't have it but maybe it's just proof of how misinformed I am on the matter.

T3 is most prevalent in the UK and America only. It follows the concept of leased lines, which are very popular with fiber-optics, which a number of countries are starting to finally invest in (we have a full fiber infrastructure already in the US).

boom-moo

[72]Jan 31, 2010
    dpebbleson wrote:
    Dawn: Time when men of reason go to bed.
    Lol! *high fives Ambrose Bierce*

We definitely only invest here in attracting tourist to the country, Eric

ericsprau

[73]Feb 3, 2010
    boom-moo wrote:
    We definitely only invest here in attracting tourist to the country, Eric

Haha that's alright. If I had the money I'd venture out there for sure! I have to admit, I feel all giddy now...I'm sure you know why. *Blushes*

I just know you have a big message waiting for me as soon as PM's start working again...boy am I gonna get it, huh? LOL

boom-moo

[75]Feb 4, 2010
    Morning all

Lol, you are a crazy little thing, Eric. I cannot be your queen, though. You'll get my message for sure

dpebbleson

[76]Feb 4, 2010

Guten Morgen! Or should I say, Guten Morgana...

Anyway, I'm here to ask you about you liking Irish poetry. So you like Yeats? We did a bit of Yeats during the studies, but not that much, and one of my current professors adores him! I have to admit I never read much of him, so what poem(s) of his would you suggest me to read? A hit?

As far as poetry goes, I'm no poetry buff, but I like "Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam" (transl. by FitzGerald), and I like some poems by T.S. Eliot, and also Blake's poetry in general.

boom-moo

[77]Feb 4, 2010
    Guten Bradley!

I like anything Irish, in a pretty irrational way. Living in Ireland was one of the most wonderful experiences of my life, and I've found my way back there some half a dozen times after coming back home. I have good friends there and a passion for the country

Yeats was a subject on its own and one I took gladly. It took me a while to get some of his poetry, but the whole fairyworld was a magnet to me. However, theree's one short poem I totally related to from minute 1 for many reasons, and I always carry a printed copy with me everywhere. It's entitled 'A Coat' and it goes:

I made my song a coat
    Covered with embroideries
    Out of old mythologies
    From heel to throat.
    But he fools caught it,
    Wore it in the world's eyes
    As though they'd wrought it.
    Song, let them take it,
    For there's more enterprise
    In walking naked.

I have a big compilation that I love to go through from time to time. I am more a poems person than a poet person (same as I am more a songs person than a band person, or a paints person than a painter's one). I like Yeats, William Carlos Williams, Shakespeare and a bunch of Spanish ones. One poem that has always captivated me is 'The Lady of Shalott' by Tennyson.

By the way, are you familiar with Waterhouse's paint of the same name? I couldn't help but cry when I saw it at the Metropolitan Museum in New York (I'm a silly weepy thing), I love it!
    Edited on 02/04/2010 1:24pm
    Edited 2 total times.

dpebbleson

[78]Feb 4, 2010

Hi! Sorry for the long pause, I just don't know how I spent the day, I just know it flew by me The poem is very beautiful, I'll have to read more by Yeats. I also like Irish culture very much, especially music - I like everything by Enya! I think she is fantastic, the voice, the melodies...

Yeah, I've seen the painting, it's very beautiful, though haven't seen it in original as you, but our professor showed us when we did that poem. It's a great poem, and there is also a song made of it by Loreena McKennit - you've most probably heard it.

As I said, poetry is not my forte (though I have some poems of my own), but there are a few of poets that I really really like. Let me give you a little sample: These are the rubaiyat, four-line poems, where the third line usually doesn't rhyme with the rest.

Ah! my Beloved, fill the Cup that clears

TO-DAY of past Regrets and future Fears-

To-morrow?—Why, To-morrow I may be

Myself with Yesterday's Sev'n Thousand Years.

And this I know: whether the one True Light,

Kindle to Love, or Wrath consume me quite,

One Glimpse of It within the Tavern caught

Better than in the Temple lost outright.

And when Thyself with shining Foot shall pass

Among the Guests Star-scatter'd on The Grass,

And in Thy joyous Errand reach the Spot

Where I made one—turn down an empty Glass!

Ah, Moon of my Delight who know'st no wane,

The Moon of Heav'n is rising once again:

How oft hereafter rising shall she look

Through this same Garden after me—in vain!

And here is my favourite excerpt from 'Prufrock' by T.S. Eliot:

And indeed there will be time
    For the yellow smoke that slides along the street,
    Rubbing its back upon the window-panes; 25
    There will be time, there will be time
    To prepare a face to meet the faces that you meet;
    There will be time to murder and create,
    And time for all the works and days of hands
    That lift and drop a question on your plate; 30
    Time for you and time for me,
    And time yet for a hundred indecisions,
    And for a hundred visions and revisions,
    Before the taking of a toast and tea.

So you have a compilation of these songs! That's great, I'd love to read it, as I get it you are more informed about poetry than I am, so I'm sure your choices are good. Anyway, if you have it in some .rar format or something, I could give you my e-mail by pm, and you could send me those. But if you don't have them in electronic version, than don't bother, really. See you!

Edited on 02/04/2010 5:06pm
    Edited 4 total times.

ericsprau

[79]Feb 4, 2010
    boom-moo wrote:
    Morning all

Lol, you are a crazy little thing, Eric. I cannot be your queen, though. You'll get my message for sure

I just sent a PM to make sure they're working, so I will be awaiting yours Esther.

I know, but I still wish to know your thoughts...

It's snowing here again. We thought we were done with all this but I guess not!

illegalferret

[80]Feb 5, 2010
    • level: 25
    Wow, i disapear for a few days and guys start posting poetry!! Lol!! Sorry for the lack of posts this weeks been rather busy with planning lessons and the like and trying to sort things out. Been worth it tho as i was observed again and this time it went well! The guy said i thought i was good and he's pleased with my progress, i'm pretty happy! So how has everyone else's weeks been?