Merlin

BBC (ended 2012)

boom-moo

Merlin Fan Reviews page 4 of 6

• Merlin

Hey, I love this show. I'm in Australia, so for me I watch it every Sunday's at 6:30 PM. I think it's a wonderful show. The actors are great.

The main reason I watch is probably because of Colin Morgan, right? He plays Merlin, and Merlin is actually the whole point of this show =P Bradley plays a pretty important role as well.

Also, the show has it's scary/frightening bits, but at the same time, there are dramatic, funny, hilarious bits in it as well.

The show's effects are so awesome! I enjoy every bit of it. The dark and light part of the show.

NOTE:

Some people say that Angel Coubly isn't "pretty" enough to play Gwen...Don't you think that is slightly judgmental? Okay, a LOT judgmental. I'm sure, Arthur loves her because of her personality & her looks. I think she looks rather pretty, by the way and perfect for her role as Gwen.
  • A wonderful show

I think that Merlin is a wonderful addition to the syfy network. It has every you can want in a series .I am extremely pumped for the new season coming out soon. Hope you are too
  • SV :EdyEurunik.. (SPOILER ALERT)

This is Answers of your wondering about "Merlin" There is a while since I saw season 1, but this is my opinion of the serie

You said:

-----------------------------------

"I heard so many good reviews about the show I started watching it. I go on, interesting pilot, the confrontation between the bully Arthur and Merlin was the best part of the show , and what do you know, after Merlin becomes the servant/slave of Arthur (cause that's what he deserves for saving him in the first place), they suddenly are best friends. No more witty remarks, jabs one at the other, nothing else beside friendship and respect and most importantly trust that bloomed from nowhere. Ah btw, whatever happened to Arthurs gang of bullies, he's shown in the pilot all the time with his gang right behind him , laughing at the people Arthur mocks. I reckon with Merlin in the picture, there was already too much guy love to add more dudes in Arthur's inner circle."

-----------------------------------

it shows that you have seen only 3 episodes, Cause I am in season 4 and they still mock each other.. AND the people that he is with in the beginning is (in my mind the becoming knights) and they kinda get off Merlins back cause he rocked Arthur in a little fight they had in episode 1.. And Merlin saved Arthurs life in the first episode, an a second time in the 2. episode.. if someone saved me twice in short time, I would trust him ;)

-----------------------------------

"Oh btw, the show has dragons, nice idea, bad thing the writing is really bad. I would've expected, if all the dragons had been killed by Uther, that the last one would bare a little grudge for humans, and Merlin because he is such a nice warlock would gain the dragons respect, but no, the dragon is in chains but very wise and polite and full of riddles it seems, ah and he helps Merlin with no ulterior motive, just because he is the Chosen One"

-----------------------------------

The Dragon is very wise, and he sees more than we can imagine.. and he knows that merlin is his only hope to survive, and you will see later that the dragon has a "thank you" in mind..

-----------------------------------

"Also, 2 guards posted on the entrance that follow a pair of dices to a far far away place in a distant galaxy was also real smart , I think they never came back from star wars universe , cause now Merlin can go whenever he pleases to see the old dragon and ask for advice. And why just two guards, if dragons are suppose to be so dangerous that Uther had them all slaughtered, I reckon he would take real care of the last one. Ah I remember, when Merlin saw the dragon the 2nd time, the dragon finally told his first riddle, and Merlin's line was" Oh great, another riddle" told with an unsatisfied tone- . Nice episode awareness. I think they decided after the pilot to add a quirk to the dragon to speak in riddles and forgot they just thought of that, real smart."

-----------------------------------

Well the guards do not belive there is much left of magic.. would you investigate it if something really weird was going on? but, on the other hand, they should learn sometime..

And since the dragon is chained with magic, Uther didn't fear for the dragon to get loose, but he feared that a strong magican could get to the dragon, and "upstairs" there is alot of guards to get past.. and that about the riddle.. I dont have to explain it..

-----------------------------------

"About knight Vali-something, the actor was great, for me I really felt sorry the character didn't receive a better development and maybe a more stable position. We don't know motives, why he wanted to kill Arthur, where he came from, nothing, we just know he has a magic shield, but hey, that's the whole point of the show, Magic, so nothing else matters, just cool magic ideas. WAIT!! I know how about a cursed toenail that does something to kill Arthur of course."

Well, that one is really easy to explain.. Arthur is the coming King.. ;) everyone would have wanted to be in his position.. and Uther have hurt alot of people in camelot, and mostly those with magic.. and how do you hurt an old king as uther? you kill his son..

And last : you cant jugde a show by watching the 4 first episodes.. if that is how you jugde a serie... you, my friend have lost alot of brilliant series..

• Merlin's past

I am a huge fan of sci-fi and historical shows that have some truth/fantasy in them. Merlin is one show that uses modern day british language but it stays true to the myths and fantasy that is "Merlin." the idea of being Arthur's ward and the freindship that they share is a wonderful tale of before the legend became myth. This show made me cry, laugh and demand more. I for one have gotten several people involved in this show since on day 1 6.8 million viewers can't be wrong. the only down side to this show is the short seasons. i for one would prefer 24 episodes a season and 2x a year if it were possible. several thumbs up and thank you england for giving us your best. this is truly a wonderful experience for this little canadian.
  • New Watcher oppinion - Bad show for now

SPOILER for those who have seen the first 3 episodes

Because I heard so many good reviews about the show I started watching it. I go on, interesting pilot, the confrontation between the bully Arthur and Merlin was the best part of the show , and what do you know, after Merlin becomes the servant/slave of Arthur (cause that's what he deserves for saving him in the first place), they suddenly are best friends. No more witty remarks, jabs one at the other, nothing else beside friendship and respect and most importantly trust that bloomed from nowhere. Ah btw, whatever happened to Arthurs gang of bullies, he's shown in the pilot all the time with his gang right behind him , laughing at the people Arthur mocks. I reckon with Merlin in the picture, there was already too much guy love to add more dudes in Arthur's inner circle.

Oh btw, the show has dragons, nice idea, bad thing the writing is really bad. I would've expected, if all the dragons had been killed by Uther, that the last one would bare a little grudge for humans, and Merlin because he is such a nice warlock would gain the dragons respect, but no, the dragon is in chains but very wise and polite and full of riddles it seems, ah and he helps Merlin with no ulterior motive, just because he is the Chosen One Hey there Neo. Also, 2 guards posted on the entrance that follow a pair of dices to a far far away place in a distant galaxy was also real smart , I think they never came back from star wars universe , cause now Merlin can go whenever he pleases to see the old dragon and ask for advice. And why just two guards, if dragons are suppose to be so dangerous that Uther had them all slaughtered, I reckon he would take real care of the last one. Ah I remember, when Merlin saw the dragon the 2nd time, the dragon finally told his first riddle, and Merlin's line was" Oh great, another riddle" told with an unsatisfied tone- . Nice episode awareness. I think they decided after the pilot to add a quirk to the dragon to speak in riddles and forgot they just thought of that, real smart.

So I make my way to the 3d episode, a plague, nice. The episode had potential, but it failed to deliver a satisfying show. Something made out of clay and water surely has weakness to fire. Made of water I first would think to freeze it or something, but hey if the writers say u could burn a creature made of water and earth, so be it.

Ok now , I am off to watch the 4 episode to give this show one last try . Cheers and Happy new year to all

• Itz getting better and better

Merlin is one of the best sseries of mine ..and I wish it does n'tend anymore. and alsoplease dont change the character ...all of the actors are doing tremendous work ... specially Morgana alone is having hard time but still she is fabulous one enmy against so many peoples ... awesomw man
  • My favourite show !

I just love this show ! The characters are amazing. It gets better and better with every season.
  • the best decision i made in my full-of-good-decisions life was to watch this...

that long-faced skinny dude RULES, this show has everything. the highlight of my day is sitting in my room watching merlin, and it would be 3:30 am,& im n bed half asleep & would just burst out laughing all of a sudden at either something merlin said or the expression he just made.& when its"action"time merlin would go & get all serious, & man, you know s*** is about to go down!!!! you will stand in your feet cheering for him.
  • its very captivating, its a great fantasy almost like harry potter, just better. its definitely one of my favourite shows...

the story of arthur has been made into movies, cartoons and books, but they never take one of the sub characters and make something of them, this time they did it and its brilliant!!! I really think the show has potensial to become a hit, as long as they stick to the actual merlin story and not waver off the path like they do in so many stories...they should just let him grow up like he is sopposed to and not change everything to some random story which is not according to the real story. so far the have done it brilliantly. Hat of to the writer and creator of the show, I love it.
  • Amazing show, Colin Morgan is great as Merlin. Amazing season!

Merlin has been one of my favorite shows to date. The characters and story lines keep you wanting more. Colin Morgan is wonderful as Merlin and I can foresee him in movies in the near future.

I think they could have chosen someone other than Angel Coulby to play Gwen.

I miss Anthony Head, also enjoyed him in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

• Arthur, for the first time,finds out what it is to be a King. His first political decision turns out to be wrongand he makes Camelot face the wrath of the great Queen Annis. Morgana also sees an opportunity to take on the throne of Camelott

As I was expecting, it was a very good episode. The writer has been able to make it a comic, serious and a interesting episode at the same time. It was indoubtly a better episode than last week and it was one of the best episode of the serie so far.

Good point: The performance of Lindsay Duncan as Queen Annis was the highlight of the episode. She has been incredible and I'm looking foward to see her again in an other episode.

Bad point: The trailer presented the episode as an Arthur/Morgana/Annis centric one. I was disappointed that they Arthur and Morganadidn't have any interaction together and that Katie Mcgrath didn't have much screen time as we would have expected.

This episode deserve 9/10 for the brilliant preformanceof Lindsay Duncan and for the divertissement that it gave us.

• An epic teen based enchanted drama about Merlin's quest to fulfil his legendary role in making history with Arthur and the Knights of the round table.

The show is enigmatic and oozes charm with the right amount of ingredients of humour, action, romance, magic and heart to create a monster hit that is Merlin. The characters differ from the actual legend itself thus giving the new generation something fresh to make this show their own. Arthur is thrust into a world where magic is deemed as evil and must be eradicated as his father grooms him for greatness to lead the kingdom. Arthur does not share the same values as his father when it comes to punishing the innocent. He has feelings for a maid in his court named Guinevere. Merlin enters Arthur's life as a servant. Merlin uses his powers to protect Arthur from harms way.
  • This series hooked me up. Felt like I was enchanted. :)

This series was not at all what I thought it was.

It's way better! The plots of the story was nowhere near boring nor it's near "trying-hard". It's a natural in comedic and action sequences. It's a natural in romance and fantasy. The directors and actors alike are brilliant. This series is so far the best I've seen. I'm not into fantasy series but this show got me going and going and to certified merlin fanatic! So many lessons to learn in this show. Friendship is just one of them. So much mystery and funny scene which makes it more interesting. This show has it all - drama, comedy, action, suspense, fantasy, etc. What more can you ask for? Well, I hope they run more episodes for each season. Or better yet, this show should run for more season! :)

• The adventures of young warlock Merlin in Camelot, and the story of his friendship with prince Arthur.

The sad thing is: I really love the idea of a show about the Legend of Arthur and I wish this was the show I wanted it to be.

But even though it has it´s moments, the show is does not fulfill this wish.

And even though I love the Saga of Arthur and his knights I wouldn`t even mind all the free interpretations and changes.
    If there were not so much clichee, too much teenage-drama, and a lack of a slightest sense of middle-age customs and habits which most good fantasy-authors have. I don´t know the writers, but apart from Julian Jones, who seems to know what he´s doing (and who we can thank for the better episodes) it never feels quite right to me.

This show is supposed to be family-friendly, hence the lack of blood (which at times feels like a bad cut-job) and the almost-cute Monsters (which they could have saved until later).
    I get it. Again, I would not mind, but the least I expect is believable Characters-development and a though-through fantasy world.

I've seen worse fantasy shows, but sometimes "Merlin" reminds me of (imho) horrible shows like "Hercules". Dumbed down legend meets Disney-like medieval-fantasy. Still I will watch a bit more, like "Primeval" (Dinosaurs, yeah!)I can´t stop. It´s sometimes painful but still better then nothing. I can only hope for BBC series of George R.R. Martins "Game of Thrones" to not disappoint for once.

(P.S. not a native speaker, so nevermind my english)
  • wow.

Ive always loved anything fantasy or anything with superpowers and this just strengthened that love for me. It has everything from romance to exlosions, and for someone who usually hates romance, its probably one of the main reasons I watch it haha. i love that it sort of creates its own legend, I love that its not perfect and the writers/producers or whatever know it has flaws, but that only adds to the shows appeal. Its fresh and its current, yes it has a dragon and magic etc but it does also deal with issues that are very much relevent now like feeling comfortable with who you are and not following the crowd. Long live Merlin.
  • The best Tv SHow!

My word on Merlin is that it's epic. The characters are great and the story line is great;just about everything is great. This show have longevity,that's all i can say. I remembered the time when i first stumbled upon this show, sometime near the ending of 2009. When i became a fanatic. Thanks to Syfy by-the-way,who premiered the first season,in which i became hook from the first episode to the last one. After season one,i was so hungry to watch season two,so i looked for it online and form then i have been watching it until now.

Merlin is excellent for anyone to watch,thank god for this show
  • Needs *major* tuning.

Okay - it is always easy to be harsh on pilot episodes especially of new BBC series. However, this one was utter tosh, with very few redeeming features for such a rich storyline. Given how rare they were, I will list them first:

Arthur: pitch perfect in his portrayal as a total pillock. One of the very few decent examples of acting here.

Special effects: of a rather high quality. The budget dragon was not half bad.

Merlin: a likable chap, except for the major problems in his acting abilities. He simply has none. There were serious issues with his deliveries, and timing, but hopefully they are tutoring him. Fast.

Then there was the acting of the rest of the crew: utterly lacking. The supporting female role - Merlin's opposite was boring, and plain to look at (superficial, I know, but this is TV after all). The "belle" of the show seems to think that looking pretty is an excuse for having the emotional scale of a lime. The old physician was a little creepy. The king actually seemed like quite a nice chap at times. Lines were not delivered with any sense of timing - by ANY of the supporting cast. Most scenes seemed completely contrived.

Needs a lot of work to become remotely watchable. I will check out the next one, because the chemistry between Merlin and Arthur was actually well played. Am going to be highly surprised if this makes the cut for season 2.
  • Winter must be coming

1.5
    Is it me or have they simply nicked the sets from Robbin Hood, and brought in a bunch of new awful actors? Typical BBC to rehash something. The use of modern language and political correctness got tedious. None of the seasoned actors like Anthony Head gave a particularly stunning performance and I though Richard Wilson was too out of his league, talk about a fish out of water. After seeing Gwent From Torchwood I was kind of hoping captain Jack would show up for a bit of comic releaf, No such luck though. Reckon the critics will hammer this one.
  • Castle backdrops - check. Midly pretty love interest - check. Voices singing in high chants - check. Good looking male cast - check. Boring plot - check. Carts full of hay - check. Fake horse hooves sound - check.

4.5
    Well I was all settled for my Saturday night. Robin Hood is back! I mean I was so engrossed by the last series that I made sure I missed every episode, but hey it's bbc one for goddsake! Though something isn't quite right....ah its Merlin! Sorry I was confused for a moment. Okay, bias off for a moment - I want to love this series, as I do Dr. Who and all its niggles!

The orchestra take their places. That girl offuv torchwood puts in her fake tooth gap, and we're away - transported to wonderful scenery for the first 5 minutes and a fake backdrop not long after. The acting, well, how can I put it, it needed some magic. Sorry. And Richard Wilson was very very weird and creepy. Say no more about that, I will have nightmares.

But...........it doe shvae potential. Surely the storylines that can be written for this series could be fantastic, and let's hope the acting gets better. Though with Gwen from Torchwood on hand let's hope they ask other seasoned actors for advice.

Well here's hoping for Merlin magic.
  • Merlin is an interesting show, in the fact that you want to know what they will do next, to try and change the story we know and love. The storylines need some work. Hopefully the show can get better, if renewed for a new season.

5.5
    I'm trying to hang in there with this new concept for Merlin's younger days, if you forget that Arthur and co are supposed to be much younger or non-existent. Arthur is already the next in line to the throne and knows it. (Can't wait to see what they do with the Sword in the Stone and how it fits in to the new story). The show is okay, the storylines have generally been interesting, and hopefully it can get better. The show has a really good cast with Anthony Head as Uther (Arthur's dad) and also special guest appearances from established names such as Eve Myles (Torchwood) and Michelle Ryan (Bionic Woman).
  • The high score this show has achieved at tv.com baffles me. The show is mediocre at best. Too many flaws across the board makes this show a near miss.

During the first few minutes of the pilot it becomes obvious that not much money have been put into it - if money could be used as a measurement of quality that is.

My first observation, and the most prominent, is the lack of depth, or detail if you will. The show does not feel real, by far. It's supposed to have a medieval feel to it (or I'd like to think that was the intention) but it comes across way too "modern".

The dialog is terrible, and I mean REALLY terrible. There are only sporadic intelligent dialog that mostly gets obscured by bizarre interpersonal relations.

Most of the special effects looks like they are made for a computer game. Nice to look at but feels unnatural. Some are just plain bad.

I can't blame the actors. I believe they have talent, doing a good job, taking into account the unintelligent script they have to work with.
  • Merlin? You must be joking!

Are the writers of this actually familiar with the Arthurian legend? Do they think their 'new spin'; is actually a modern interpretation? Because if theuy do then they are seriously deluded. The names are the same, but that is the only thing that is. This series is so full of inaccuracies with the character portrayals bearing very limited resemblance to their traditional selves, that I can only assume some wonderful new historical source has been discovered by the writers -and completely ignored by academia. Like so many recent so-called 'historical' dramas (like The Tudors), the makers are more intent on pandering to rating ploys than established history - albeit mythological.
  • Disapointing, yet haven't missed a show.

A teen Merlin in a kingdom where magic is banned.

The premise is an interesting twist on how Arthurian legend is usually handled. A young Merlin easily appeals to the youngsters, but at the same time makes the show slightly bland for the grown ups. The show's biggest problems are the forced conflicts. Magic is forbidden, yet it's the most interesting aspect of Merlin's character. Merlin is destined to be Arthur's friend, but Arthur's character gives him very few reasons to be one. I can't shake the feeling that in Merlin's place, I'd be finding ways to dethrone Arthur's father, King Ulrich, and restore magic. Unfortunately this line of thought is never seriously brought up in the series.

A significant change in the way the show is written might help it rise to new heights. Most other aspects of it are top notch.
  • Laughably generic, annoyingly goofy. Quality costumes and sets can't save it from terrible writing.

3.5
    I keep expecting the main antagonist sorceress to scream "next time, gadget!" at the end of each episode.
    It's called "Merlin" but it seems that the only spell anyone seems to know is basic telekinesis. The characters make pretty much zero sense, endlessly "owing each other their lives" and trying to sacrifice themselves for each other. The "romance" or whatever their trying to have between Merlin and Gwen is completely juvenile and extremely annoying.

Last but not least, are the "comical" portions of the show. Where, for whatever reason, they try and make the show seem wacky. They then proceed to play sound effects that sound straight out of loony toons. It's jarring at best.

The dragon makes no sense at all. He's mysterious for the sake of being mysterious, to the point of being confusing.

Ultimately, the show might entertain you if you're looking for some generic fantasy.. stuff. It's got some good sets/costumes at the effects are passable, but the writing makes this show pretty hard to bear.
  • Laughably bad.

Where to begin?

If the creators of Merlin had put a third of the care they devoted to the sets, costumes, and props into the writing instead, they might have had a decent show on their hands. Instead we get another half-hearted attempt at fantasy that assumes (yet again) that all it has to do to sucker an audience in to watching is display a bunch of fantasy accoutrements. I dearly hope it is wrong.

Name-dropping does neither a character nor a story make, and what we have here are a lot of names and a dearth of tale. Save Arthur from the hands of the BBC: avoid this show.
  • I wanted to like this show so badly

2.5
    I wanted to like this show, I honestly did. It has all the stuff I could have wanted: magic, dragons, fights, comedy, and more... so why did I rate it so low?

First it was the acting - The actors just don't seem to fit their roles, personality wise. They are way to stiff, and are obviously acting, they don't seem to feel right in their roles. Their lines are delivered pretty poorly, or overly dramatically. Next was the CGI dragon - this has it's own special place because I really hate everything about it. If you can't use good cgi, don't use any. I also don't like how Merlin keeps running to the dragon to get tips on his destiny and what he needs to do every. step. of. the. way. Every new development doesn't need this seemingly all knowing dragon's help. Third - I can deal with the lack of magic for now, so while it does bug me that the magic used is pretty petty, I can deal until his mentor stops telling him not to use magic, but to fullfill his destiny as a great Warlock...

Last, and wrapping it all up, is the writing. This goes hand in hand with the casting. I believe the lack of good writing and trying to make it way overly dramatic, have helped this less than great cast fail even more so. The scenes where Merlin (the servant) keeps running to the dungeon to tell Gwen that "He won't let her die... " because he has all the mighty powers of a useless, unheard servant. Woohoo. I also don't care about the legends as much, since there are hundreds of retellings of them, so the lines can be crossed a little bit I guess. So just all in all, I can't stand watching it. The acting is really, at this point, so bad that it makes my skin itch for all the bad drama, and the lame jokes and pretense which the characters use just really make my head hurt. I might watch it again in a few seasons if it somehow gets past, because I really do wish I could have watched this series. I honestly hope that I can turn into it in 2 seasons or so and say "Wow, this is awesome." Right now though, it is far below that point.
  • A unique take to the Arthurian legends. It takes the audience back in time where Merlin and Arthur first meet. It is a wonderful look at the legends before they were in fact legends :)

Best show e-ver! Right now this is my families favorite show, the only problem is the seasons are to short and the wait between is to long lol! It's a wonderful combination of action, fantasy, drama, and comedy. There's plenty of great stuff for all of us adults, but it's light enough most times for the kids too. I love the way they took a smallville twist to the King Arthur legend. It's fun to watch as each character develops. If you start watching, I can guarantee you'll be hooked. It's a real treat, and my family is really enjoying it.
  • Love - Fun - Mysterie - Fantasy - Action - Merlin has it all.

Love - Fun - Mysterie - Fantasy - Action
    I love watching this show because it has all of the above. The acting is good, it's witty at time, exiting at times and you feel attached to the characters. Some episodes are better than others, but that's the case with most shows. I started watching it by chance and than got addicted to it. It's easy watching, does not arise too many answered questions and still keeps you awaiting the next episode with inpatience. Also, I believe it's a nice show to watch with your family. We need more shows like this!
  • AMAZING AND BEST SHOW EVER.........never thought i wud get this addicted

BEST SHOW EVER....when i first saw the trailers to season 1 , i honestly was not impressed....and i thought the legend of merlin was let down........but i admit it was the trailer for the season 2 ep 4 LANCELOT story that tempted me 2 start watchin.............................i was then HOOKED....i started watchin all season 2 then season 1 and now SEASON 3 IS AMAZING......love the characters adn the stories as well.............my fav is the arthur.merlin and arthur/gwen r'ship. MUST WATCH SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GET INTO IT
  • I watch by mistake... and now i'm addicted!!!

I watched an episode of the second season by accident and somehow i liked it. The story is a little known. But anyway, I think the show is great. I love the characters and the relationships between them. Especially, i love the relationship between Merlin and Arthur and Merlin and Gaius, they are very funny. I think the storyline has improved over the course of episodes. A show with action, comedy, magic and romance. The good versus evil, I guess I never get tired of this kind of story.
    I hope the show still has a few more seasons. Watch and think you will enjoy.
1 2 3 4 5 6