Merlin

BBC (ended 2012)

boom-moo

Merlin Fan Reviews (179)

• My only wish...

that we had more time when Arthur knew Merlin's true identity. But pretty much my favorite show of all time. I particularly recommend it if you enjoy bromance!
  • Best Show Ever!

I love everything about this show. This is my favorite show of all time, my friends and I actually dressed up as the characters from Merlin for Halloween, it was pretty awesome. I wish there were more seasons of this show, but overall I am very happy with it.
  • Merlin ending

To be honest this was one of the best shows I've seen in a long time and I though the ending was perfect. Although the show didn't stick to the legend exactly it did always stick to the basics and unfortunately who dies and by whose hand is one of those things they have to follow. It was heart wrenching but I think that everything happened when it was supposed to, had Merlin told Arthur sooner he would have been kicked out of the kingdom and unable to help Arthur in the future. I think that Arthur and Merlin did build a better Albion and gave it better people to lead (Gwen and the Knights). Just because the end of a show makes you sad doesn't mean it was bad, it made you feel something and that makes it good TV.
  • Best TV show but a disapointing ending.

The show was perfect since the beginning. the actors really knew how to make someone to be glued to the TV, the last season started well but the final episode was not what I was hoping for. like everyone else watching Merlin we always wanted to see how Arthur would continue ruling Camelot knowing that Merlin has magic. but instead the writer decided to disappoint our suspense and have Merlin confess at the last 5 minutes of the final episode. to be honest I am tired with almost all the series programs ending with suspense I miss the shows with a good and happy ending.
  • One of my favorite shows... (spoiler alert!)

came in with a bang and out with a whimper! I adored this program--the overall quality of each season's programs was phenomenal--the acting, the scenery, costumes, story... such soulful, magical beauty. Was bummed it was ending but such is life... hubby and I had been looking forward to the series finale-- what a disappointment! The last episode was so full of plot- holes. Seemed so rushed-- nonsensical--insulting to the intelligence of the audience. Morgana, Arthur, and Mordred met their demise through the power of the sword, while "Merlin" met it's demise through a dis-empowered pen. We are left with the impression that the sword is mightier than the pen. Such a weak ending. Can anyone pull the pen from the stone.. and work it? As a whole, the show was brilliant.

• Fantastic Show

I've heard rumors that Merlin is be cancelled. I hope this isn't true! It is one of the best television shows to ever come out, and be a senior citizen, I've seen plenty of them. My husband and I watch it faithfully and I've even bought the box sets for each season. Please, if you're reading this and have any control, don't cancel it!!!
  • Great show that needs to come back

I loved this show it needs to come back for sure... Guineverre should have a little arthur and Merlin will protect him... I really hope they would bring it back... Just to continue on how she controls camelot... It was so sad to see Arthur die... Love watching Merlin... Bring it back please
  • LOVE THIS SHOW

cant wait for the next take the show off. This is one of the best Sci-Fi Show episode have you wanting more... Shame on you Sci Fi
  • Love watching Merlin great show

love watching Merlin ! When is it coming back on ???
  • BRING BACK MERLIN NOW!!!!!!!

BRING BACK MERLIN! BRING BACK MERLIN! BRING BACK MERLIN!!!!!!
  • A sad but solid ending. with a bit of nice twist.

I appreciated the show. The ending was fitting.

I can't help but wonder if the creators of this show would entertain the notion of extrapolation where Arthur does return..

After all, that's pretty much the gist of it right? Merlin is servant of Arthur and Arthur is destined to eventually return.

So, I wonder if maybe .. a post - apocalyptic war happened and a new Arthur would be destined to bring back the fractured humanity. It would be the same Merlin.. A re-incarnated Arthur .. and then.. everything else can be totally left to the writers imagination.
  • Press make next season.

Press make next season. I very love this series.
  • stong bond of friendship between Merlin and Arthur

Its actually very wonderful how they grown to care and love one another almost like brothers shows the true meaning of friendship its perfect i get so excited when merlin series goes way beyond magic but how care love togetherness regardles of color can keep family friends and love ones from falling apart i love that he got married to gwen it shows no superiority but that we are cried to day when arthur was poisioned and seeing merlin in such a state of sadness Its the best series ever I LOVE ALL THE CAST OF MERLIN GREAT JOB GUYS
  • Amazing Show

I just recently discovered this amazing show about three months ago. I watch with my brother and sister all the time. Honestly the end was good, so sad it broke my heart, but still good. Now I bet you're like, "WHAT!" but the truth is this is how it was going to end. Think about. Is magic around today? No, so even if it was fiction, the Arthur legends have some truth in them.

But I was disappointed with Arthur and Mordred's fight. I mean come on! It was like what three hits, and then end game? Yeah, that stunk.

Overall this show was amazing. The acting, the action, the characters, the plot, and everything else. I think what made the ending so freaking sad that I wasn't working for like three days, was you grow so attacted to Arthur, and then he just dies. But I believe he had a good way of going, You know what I mean?

And the very last scene I'd heard some people don't understand, basically, Merlin is waiting for Arthur to return, and he's been waiting from when Merlin takes place to our year.

I was a little disappointed with Morgana's death. I thought her's was a little weak, but yet he got it over with. And I think the whole point of the last episode is to show how much Merlin was willing to do for Arthur.

And remember tragic, this was kind of supposed to be a tragic. I still think kids will love it, my five year sister adore all of season 1, 2, 3, and 4. And if you don't feel comfortable letting your kids watch season 5, don't let them. I heard that season was supposed to reach a little bit older age group too.

So to sum it up. It truely is an awesome show that you should totally watch. The end maybe let you feeling like thing weren't answered though, so if you hate that, then yeah. But still I love this show!
  • MERLIN

Merlin is my favvvvvvvvvvv serial. I was so upset when i watched the last episode and i request you to extend the serial with Aurthur as a king. Missing Merlin serial. The actors and actress have done ultimate job, they have given justice to their roles. I love all people, who are acted in Merlin .. Wowwwww i have no words to express about the series ..
  • A beautifully heart breaking story of Bromance!

He may have been a King but he was also a hilarious best friend to the amazing Merlin. I have laughed so many times through the series but I have also cried through out it all. I never stopped loving it or got bored and It's a story I will never forget, because it's worth being remembered.
  • To all sad Merlin fans: Read this article and you can watch the show again. I CAN!

A 'Merlin' retrospective: The platonic love story of Merlin and Arthur

One Hypable staff member shares their thoughts on the Merlin finale, examining the emotional conclusion of the Merlin and Arthur relationship and why BBC got it exactly right.

I feel like Merlin should have been prefaced with, "This is not a love story. This is a story about love," 500 Days of Summer-style.

I never shipped Merthur. I fell for the Arthur/Gwen pairing the first time Arthur said "Guine-vere" in that way that he did, and I was happy to see them finally overcome the obstacles and get married. But romance was never really what Merlin was about, and I was always more keen on the medieval world, the complicated family ties, the camaraderie of the knights, and the downfall of Morgana. Merlin and Arthur's friendship was great, but I never saw it as more than just another aspect of the show.

But then the finale happened, and I realised that I had been wrong. Because what the show's send-off ended up being was not the epic, fast-paced battle I had anticipated, but rather a quietly personal, intimate string of scenes between the two main characters, with everyone else mainly sidelined or dispatched of without much fanfare (with the exception of Guinevere, who got a beautiful sendoff as she took the throne of Camelot) and that was exactly how this story had to end.

Merlin was never about Arthur and Gwen, or Morgana, or the knights. It wasn't even about Arthur. All of that was important to the story, yes, and to the legend it was based on, but as enjoyable as those elements were, they were not the core of the show. BBC's Merlin was, above all else, a story about Merlin's feelings for Arthur: the friendship, the loyalty, the devotion and yes, the love.

I am not going to psychoanalyse a fictional character and speculate about what Merlin may or may not have been feeling for Arthur at any given time and anyway, I bet there are probably a lot of fans better suited to that particular task than I am. Let's just all agree that he was feeling for Arthur in whatever capacity, and that this, ultimately, was what shaped his path and the direction of the show.

Merlin came to Camelot, met Arthur, and despised him. Merlin met the Great Dragon and thought, damn, I have to protect the idiot who hates me. And Merlin came to slowly realise that Arthur not only didn't hate him, but needed him in his life. He needed his magic, yes, but Arthur never knew about that. From Arthur's point of view, he just needed Merlin. Their destiny may have been written in stone, but their tentative friendship and grudging affection for each other had to come from themselves and we watched them build that up for five frustrating seasons.

Alexander Vlahos (aka Mordred!) described the finale as a "platonic love story" between Merlin and Arthur. And that is exactly what it was. The entire show was like a classic "will-they-won't-they," except rather than building towards some predictable final scene with loud, swelling music and a formulaic kiss in the rain, Merlin was building towards a far more complex conclusion; one which involved both men accepting the other for nothing less or more than what they were, and acknowledging that there was no one they would rather be with, at the end of all things.

And the final episode saw the culmination of that love story, and it was everything it needed to be and more. If this truly had been a romance, it would have been like the end of Casablanca, The Notebook and Pride and Prejudice all rolled into one but it wasn't a romance, it was something far more permanent and all-encompassing than that.

When all else had been stripped away, we were left with Merlin and Arthur. With Arthur dying in Merlin's arms, looking into Merlin's eyes, telling him: "Just hold me!" And instead of goodbye, it was "Thank you!" While there was a lot left unsaid between them, and a lot of things Arthur never got to do, he died peacefully in the arms of someone who loved him.

It was Merlin who would be left alone, just as he had always been, and therein lay the true tragedy. But the dragon brought him that small, tiny speck of hope which proved once and for all that Arthur was the only thing which ever truly mattered to Merlin: "This is not the end. Arthur will rise

And so, thousands of years later, Merlin is still at Avalon. He is still waiting for Arthur. "I was born to serve you," he had told him once, and so it would always be. "Stay with me," he had begged, but Arthur hadn't been able to. Instead, Merlin had stayed with Arthur.

This isn't about shipping. It isn't about romance and whether or not you see it. And if anyone is rolling their eyes thinking, "god, get over the Merthur already," you've been watching the wrong show. There's nothing to read into here, there's no "head canon" or other fandom conjecture. There was only the raw, honest story which the Merlin writers were brave enough to tell exactly as it should be told, and which the actors handled with commendable grace and integrity.

The legend of King Arthur is one of the greatest stories ever told. And Merlin took that story and told it in an even better way. Because it was not just a story of Merlin and Arthur's friendship, nor of knighthood and chivalry and magic and that romanticised, longed-for golden age of Britain.

This was a story of Merlin and Arthur's relationship coming full circle. It was a story of their joint destiny, of the fact that even death could not separate them, and of the fact that they would always find each other. And there can be no greater story than that, nor one more worth telling.

Forget Romeo and Juliet. Forget Jack and Rose. Forget Frodo and Sam. Forget Buffy and Angel. Nothing, nothing will ever be as tragically, beautifully heartbreaking as Merlin and Arthur.

"You're not going to say goodbye," Merlin told him. "No, no," Arthur replied. And neither of them ever did.

2012/12/26/a-merlin-retrospective-the-platonic-love-story-of-merlin-and-arthur/
  • The Best story of all, altered for humor & action & created for fans of all ages

I am SO sad to hear of the end of Merlin the Show. This has been the absolute best show I've seen since a long long time. The actors are all excellent, the story is excellent. The liberal artistic license is going to be a problem for purists (as I am on one hand), but it was created for all. It makes the basic story of Arthur and Merlin and Camelot available to all peoples of all ages. Nothing on was desirable to watch except Merlin. My kids (they are older now) and I loved this show and watched them all with great interest. I hoped that it'd go on for another 5+ years. It was obvious that the cast absolutely loved their show. They must have had such a good time making it, and they made us all have a great SO sad it's ended. I can only hope it is brought back and SOON.

It seems sadly that people today need extreme violence, extreme sexual themes and nudity before it's considered "hip". I despair for humanity.

Long live King Arthur!

Long live Camelot!

Long live MERLIN!!!!!
  • a vacant spot in tv viewing...

I like everyone else was sad to see the end of Merlin. I am not sure I have a better way to end the series (which I greatly enjoyed) and the bit spent on their final quest was well done both in writing and acting.

In 'mourning' the end, I started watching the series over again. One thing was how the series had changed from the fun, light hearted magical start with various people wanting to kill or destroy to a rather dark and isolated 'revenge of Morgana' story line which was clearly a dead end street - they really had started to decline in series five and the end was inevitable sadly.

It really would be fantastic to start an new story with Merlin but it would need Arthur or something similar perhaps to keep the sparkle.

A brilliant series with a superb cast with a well written script by people that clearly understood that allowing people to have some parts (like chopping off heads left to their imagination would produce better entertainment. I have to be honest, I didn't get what the writers were saying with the last shot, unless perhaps they were leaving an option for a future series of some kind open ....
  • A great show

I loved the series, and I loved the ending. I know; i was sad too, as many other people were. But I do disagree with many of the comments here about the end. I didn't want Arthur to die, and I cried crocodile tears when he did, but there was hope in the end. Merlin thought he had failed, but as the dragon said: "You have accomplished all you set out to do The ending reminded us that there is something bigger than us, and bigger than everyday life. Arthur was, indeed, the "once and future king," and someday he will return. This is in keeping with the legend, and I appreciate that. Some have said it was anticlimactic that there was no big fight between Merlin and Morgana, but I thought the way it happened was perfect. Even Morgana was surprised, which meant she had no opportunity to kill Arthur with magic. Others have said that it was a letdown to have Gwen guess that Merlin had magic, but to me it made sense, because Gaius had given her several clues, and Gwen was no dummy. Other complaints: a short battle. That allowed us more time to really see the relationship between Arthur and Merlin resolve. I thought it was well done. Why didn't Merlin call the dragon earlier? The dragon himself indicated that nothing Merlin could have done would have made any difference; Arthur's destiny was determined. I have a harder time defending the very end, but in my heart I liked it. It let me know there is hope, that someday Merlin and Arthur will be reunited and Albion will be saved when it most needs saving. After all, Gwen was a capable queen, and probably open to magic; Camelot was free of the Saxons and of Morgana until long in the future. Arthur had fulfilled his destiny - until he would be needed again. I know a lot of people are upset about the ending and I understand why, I really do. but to me, that means the show worked. The writers took a chance, and went out on a high. I'm ok with that. Well done.
  • Sad BUT True

It was a sad sad ending and im furious that it ended the way it did. BUT you cant change history. Good Job guys
  • Finish when the going is good!

From the very beginning they set the pace of every 4 years. The history books say that Arthur was a full grown King and in his prime when Mordred killed him. You can't really add another 3-4 years by doing another season with Arthur still in his prime. Arthur dies before his prime is over - period.

I love that they kept faithful to the reality because it make it more real and more touching to the heart if the show fades out then it's not a good story.

I have a lot of respect for the creators for finishing when its time.

Cheers
  • review

Thank you creators of this show for giving us this great expirience! All things sometimes end and we have to be ready for it, nevertheless you have done great job troughout 5 seasons. Of course i hope that someday there will be a continuation of a land where magic is allowed and Arthur with Merlin are working side by side to prevent abuse of power!
  • love merlin & arthur

the ending ;(.... i love the series very the another ending.......
  • The ending...

What's with everyone lately making bad endings for everything great? Why would you even think about creating a bad ending? Is the real life not enough? Must you continuously crush our hopes and shove despair down our throats?

When we come home, tired of dealing with a crappy job and crappy people, we want to sit down and watch our favourite tv show or play our favourite game to raise our spirits. But what do the writers do? They fkn kill everyone and destroy everything they've built since the start. What was the damn point of it all if you're just going to wreck it?

Plot twist my bottom, this ending was a failure, pure and simple.

Note to writers: Pray, should an apocalyptic event happen in the near future, we never meet. I'd be forced to be rid of you before your pessimism could completely wipe us out. Damn fools...
  • Farewell

any other ending would have surprised me because you can't change history or a legend only to please the audience. Well done and so sad as every time I read or watch a piece about Merlin and the legend of Camelot.

Farewell Merlin, I'll miss you immensely
  • DONT ENDED LIKE THAT!

ill commit suicide if its the last season!!!
  • Finale !

It was an epic sad with all meaning episode , My heart is broken since I watched it but can't hold my self from rewatchimng over and over :(((
  • Another great show

Who loved Merlin should have a look at The Legend of the Seeker, also pretty good.
  • Unreplacable

Most epic tale ever, very good work. Must say i did not like the bits with Agravaine though. could see he was a traitor from first scene he acted, so silly
< 1 2 3 4 5 6