Merlin

BBC (ended 2012)

boom-moo

Merlin Fan Reviews (181)

• Bad Ending

Please Merlin fans, join 2return, Twitter: @merlin2return. We are a real group working together for a single purpose. Bringing Merlin back. We can do it if we have the numbers and work together. Come on people, Merlin needs us.

The ending ruined the show for me. Short battle. No epic fight between Merlin and Morgana. Arthur dies, Merlin is a total failure and goes off to be alone forever. Why would they have Gaius tell Gwen that Arthur was in good hands? He wasn't. Why didn't the dragon save Arthur? Gwen has to rule alone. Her and Arthur were barely together. What about Merlin's mom? The ending just fell apart. All they had to do was: 1) Merlin arrives at the battle as himself on the back of the great dragon. 2) Merlin has epic battle with Morgana and wins. 3) Arthur and Mordred fight and Arthur wins, but is hurt. 4) Dragon heals Arthur. 5) Arthur tells the dragon he was wrong. 6) Arthur & Merlin ride the dragon back to Camelot 7) Arthur tells everyone about Merlin and how magic isn't evil, only some who use it for evil. 8) end with Arthur and the knights at the round table and we see Merlin sitting at Arthurs side, dressed in red. Arthur then says this is a new beginning. The ending the writers made was garbage. Every season, Merlin was told to protect Arthur because one day he and Merlin would rule together and bring about change. The bad ending made the whole show pointless. I used to watch this show all of the time, it was fun. I loved this show so much until the ending. Now I'll never watch it again. You can't make a show with so much heart, have a sad and hopeless ending. Bad move writers. This is a family show? All this shows kids is no matter what you do, how hard you try, evil always wins in the end, so why bother. One man can't make a difference. I can't believe the cast agreed to film this horrible ending. I wonder what their feelings are about it.

• Refreshingly lacking in flashy and failed attempts to be innovative. My favourite thing on tv at the moment!

The best thing to come across TV in a long, long time. Ever since the likes of Buffy, SG-1, Babylon5 etc ended, television has been increasingly bad. On the one hand there's reality-tv and on the other, over-produced "serious and meaningful" shows. Merlin is a return to basics, in a way. It's simple, it's fun, but it's not stupid. Granted, in the first series the low budget was painfully obvious, but for me it added to the nostalgia. CGI improves drastically over the next two seasons, and plot lines thicken as the show takes on a more mature tone. It does this while maintaining an entertaining and charming story, without trying too hard to be innovative and attention-drawing. If you're tired of shows that compete for "most shocking" title, Merlin is for you.
  • The Best story of all, altered for humor & action & created for fans of all ages

I am SO sad to hear of the end of Merlin the Show. This has been the absolute best show I've seen since a long long time. The actors are all excellent, the story is excellent. The liberal artistic license is going to be a problem for purists (as I am on one hand), but it was created for all. It makes the basic story of Arthur and Merlin and Camelot available to all peoples of all ages. Nothing on was desirable to watch except Merlin. My kids (they are older now) and I loved this show and watched them all with great interest. I hoped that it'd go on for another 5+ years. It was obvious that the cast absolutely loved their show. They must have had such a good time making it, and they made us all have a great SO sad it's ended. I can only hope it is brought back and SOON.

It seems sadly that people today need extreme violence, extreme sexual themes and nudity before it's considered "hip". I despair for humanity.

Long live King Arthur!

Long live Camelot!

Long live MERLIN!!!!!
  • Not long to wait now that's all i keep thinking!

Well this show just keeps getting better the story lines keep making you want more and i keep counting down the time till the weekend wanting more! Best thing the BBC has done in a very long time!!
  • Merlin

I LOVE MERLIN!!!! My parents don't let us have a tv, but i watch every episode as it comes out on various websites. Im from Texas and I can honestly say the show is 1000x better than its reviews give it. the actors are hilarious and at moments make me jump from the scary parts. Its hard to find a show with such good story. the filler episodes are funny and when Arthur became King...epic turn for the show, made it even better. 10 outta 10 from Texas (:
  • Merlin

Hey, I love this show. I'm in Australia, so for me I watch it every Sunday's at 6:30 PM. I think it's a wonderful show. The actors are great.

The main reason I watch is probably because of Colin Morgan, right? He plays Merlin, and Merlin is actually the whole point of this show =P Bradley plays a pretty important role as well.

Also, the show has it's scary/frightening bits, but at the same time, there are dramatic, funny, hilarious bits in it as well.

The show's effects are so awesome! I enjoy every bit of it. The dark and light part of the show.

NOTE:

Some people say that Angel Coubly isn't "pretty" enough to play Gwen...Don't you think that is slightly judgmental? Okay, a LOT judgmental. I'm sure, Arthur loves her because of her personality & her looks. I think she looks rather pretty, by the way and perfect for her role as Gwen.
  • Best TV show ever!

The BBC have done well in producing this show & the actors are fantastic! Great show! :)
  • OBSESSED?

Action Figures:Check

Magazine Subscription: Check

All series DVD Box-sets (1,2,3,4): Check

All Books: Check

And i'm planning a Merlin Road Trip

Oh yeah and I LOVE MERLIN

• To all sad Merlin fans: Read this article and you can watch the show again. I CAN!

A 'Merlin' retrospective: The platonic love story of Merlin and Arthur

One Hypable staff member shares their thoughts on the Merlin finale, examining the emotional conclusion of the Merlin and Arthur relationship and why BBC got it exactly right.

I feel like Merlin should have been prefaced with, "This is not a love story. This is a story about love," 500 Days of Summer-style.

I never shipped Merthur. I fell for the Arthur/Gwen pairing the first time Arthur said "Guine-vere" in that way that he did, and I was happy to see them finally overcome the obstacles and get married. But romance was never really what Merlin was about, and I was always more keen on the medieval world, the complicated family ties, the camaraderie of the knights, and the downfall of Morgana. Merlin and Arthur's friendship was great, but I never saw it as more than just another aspect of the show.

But then the finale happened, and I realised that I had been wrong. Because what the show's send-off ended up being was not the epic, fast-paced battle I had anticipated, but rather a quietly personal, intimate string of scenes between the two main characters, with everyone else mainly sidelined or dispatched of without much fanfare (with the exception of Guinevere, who got a beautiful sendoff as she took the throne of Camelot) and that was exactly how this story had to end.

Merlin was never about Arthur and Gwen, or Morgana, or the knights. It wasn't even about Arthur. All of that was important to the story, yes, and to the legend it was based on, but as enjoyable as those elements were, they were not the core of the show. BBC's Merlin was, above all else, a story about Merlin's feelings for Arthur: the friendship, the loyalty, the devotion and yes, the love.

I am not going to psychoanalyse a fictional character and speculate about what Merlin may or may not have been feeling for Arthur at any given time and anyway, I bet there are probably a lot of fans better suited to that particular task than I am. Let's just all agree that he was feeling for Arthur in whatever capacity, and that this, ultimately, was what shaped his path and the direction of the show.

Merlin came to Camelot, met Arthur, and despised him. Merlin met the Great Dragon and thought, damn, I have to protect the idiot who hates me. And Merlin came to slowly realise that Arthur not only didn't hate him, but needed him in his life. He needed his magic, yes, but Arthur never knew about that. From Arthur's point of view, he just needed Merlin. Their destiny may have been written in stone, but their tentative friendship and grudging affection for each other had to come from themselves and we watched them build that up for five frustrating seasons.

Alexander Vlahos (aka Mordred!) described the finale as a "platonic love story" between Merlin and Arthur. And that is exactly what it was. The entire show was like a classic "will-they-won't-they," except rather than building towards some predictable final scene with loud, swelling music and a formulaic kiss in the rain, Merlin was building towards a far more complex conclusion; one which involved both men accepting the other for nothing less or more than what they were, and acknowledging that there was no one they would rather be with, at the end of all things.

And the final episode saw the culmination of that love story, and it was everything it needed to be and more. If this truly had been a romance, it would have been like the end of Casablanca, The Notebook and Pride and Prejudice all rolled into one but it wasn't a romance, it was something far more permanent and all-encompassing than that.

When all else had been stripped away, we were left with Merlin and Arthur. With Arthur dying in Merlin's arms, looking into Merlin's eyes, telling him: "Just hold me!" And instead of goodbye, it was "Thank you!" While there was a lot left unsaid between them, and a lot of things Arthur never got to do, he died peacefully in the arms of someone who loved him.

It was Merlin who would be left alone, just as he had always been, and therein lay the true tragedy. But the dragon brought him that small, tiny speck of hope which proved once and for all that Arthur was the only thing which ever truly mattered to Merlin: "This is not the end. Arthur will rise

And so, thousands of years later, Merlin is still at Avalon. He is still waiting for Arthur. "I was born to serve you," he had told him once, and so it would always be. "Stay with me," he had begged, but Arthur hadn't been able to. Instead, Merlin had stayed with Arthur.

This isn't about shipping. It isn't about romance and whether or not you see it. And if anyone is rolling their eyes thinking, "god, get over the Merthur already," you've been watching the wrong show. There's nothing to read into here, there's no "head canon" or other fandom conjecture. There was only the raw, honest story which the Merlin writers were brave enough to tell exactly as it should be told, and which the actors handled with commendable grace and integrity.

The legend of King Arthur is one of the greatest stories ever told. And Merlin took that story and told it in an even better way. Because it was not just a story of Merlin and Arthur's friendship, nor of knighthood and chivalry and magic and that romanticised, longed-for golden age of Britain.

This was a story of Merlin and Arthur's relationship coming full circle. It was a story of their joint destiny, of the fact that even death could not separate them, and of the fact that they would always find each other. And there can be no greater story than that, nor one more worth telling.

Forget Romeo and Juliet. Forget Jack and Rose. Forget Frodo and Sam. Forget Buffy and Angel. Nothing, nothing will ever be as tragically, beautifully heartbreaking as Merlin and Arthur.

"You're not going to say goodbye," Merlin told him. "No, no," Arthur replied. And neither of them ever did.

2012/12/26/a-merlin-retrospective-the-platonic-love-story-of-merlin-and-arthur/
  • Perfect with the unexpected

Fantasy supreme! Watch for getting away from it, things! and stuff! Relax and enjoy the ride, love! it
  • Magical

One of the BBC's greatest achievements
  • MERLIN

Outstanding. Koodo's to writing, acting and directing. Definately a 10 out of 10.

It broke my heart to watch this show end this badly. At this point, I would buy, accept, and even applause if producers (current or new ones) would use the despicable "it was all a bad dream" technique and fix this awful ending to open another season. Really, I am more than ready to leave this as a product of Merlin's fainting at the cavern, some sort of "this is what will happen if you don't go for Mordred first". I'm sure fans will forgive poor scripting if we can have our characters back. Oh and by the way DO NOT RECAST, you'll kill the movies too,. Re-casting is BAD.
  • A great show

I loved the series, and I loved the ending. I know; i was sad too, as many other people were. But I do disagree with many of the comments here about the end. I didn't want Arthur to die, and I cried crocodile tears when he did, but there was hope in the end. Merlin thought he had failed, but as the dragon said: "You have accomplished all you set out to do The ending reminded us that there is something bigger than us, and bigger than everyday life. Arthur was, indeed, the "once and future king," and someday he will return. This is in keeping with the legend, and I appreciate that. Some have said it was anticlimactic that there was no big fight between Merlin and Morgana, but I thought the way it happened was perfect. Even Morgana was surprised, which meant she had no opportunity to kill Arthur with magic. Others have said that it was a letdown to have Gwen guess that Merlin had magic, but to me it made sense, because Gaius had given her several clues, and Gwen was no dummy. Other complaints: a short battle. That allowed us more time to really see the relationship between Arthur and Merlin resolve. I thought it was well done. Why didn't Merlin call the dragon earlier? The dragon himself indicated that nothing Merlin could have done would have made any difference; Arthur's destiny was determined. I have a harder time defending the very end, but in my heart I liked it. It let me know there is hope, that someday Merlin and Arthur will be reunited and Albion will be saved when it most needs saving. After all, Gwen was a capable queen, and probably open to magic; Camelot was free of the Saxons and of Morgana until long in the future. Arthur had fulfilled his destiny - until he would be needed again. I know a lot of people are upset about the ending and I understand why, I really do. but to me, that means the show worked. The writers took a chance, and went out on a high. I'm ok with that. Well done.
  • A wonderful show

I think that Merlin is a wonderful addition to the syfy network. It has every you can want in a series .I am extremely pumped for the new season coming out soon. Hope you are too
  • In Camelot Arthur's father Uther Pendragon is king, and magic is outlawed. Merlin arrives and must hide his secret from Arthur as they both work to fulfill their intertwined destinies.

Beautiful show! It draws you in immediately and never disappoints, so far ;). Unique spin on the legend, but it works. Please, release the first season on DVD in the US, and also the second season on NBC, hopefully (fingers crossed). I'm also a big fan of the Middle Ages/Renaissance period as well, so that may have something to do with why I love the show. There's just something romantic about that time... The actors are really great too, all of them really, I feel like I know them personally because they all portray the character of their character (lol) so well. Keep it up! I look forward to many more seasons of Merlin!!! Definately worth a look for anyone whose a fan of fantasy or the Arthurian Legends!
  • I absolutely love the originality in the viewpoint and the fact that it shows Arthur and Merlin as young boys. The back story of Camelot and the binds that tie the characters is great. I look forward to following the characters as they evolve.

Fro the set design to the costumes, the actors to the enviroment this show has an original story line that rounds out and fills in the blanks of the story of Camelot. In costuming the only issue I have come up with is when Morgana wears spike heeled shoes, I think it is hard to stay immersed in the era portrayed when I saw this. Other than that being an admittedly nutty fantasy and sci-fi geek I look forward to each episode. Merlin is a beautifuly mystic and romantic show that gives us a new a fresh look at Camelot. Thank you to all who take part in bringing this story to life.
  • Intellingent take on the myth.

Although it goes against everything ever written about the tale of Arthur, it is so well written that it has me hooked, waiting impatiently for the next show.
    ALthough I read it was only intended as a 13 part mini-series, I hope I read that incorrectly or that they reconsider and resume the show.
    I particularly enjoy the performances of Richard Wilson and Colin Morgan, although this in no way means I don't enjoy the rest of the cast as well.
    If I have any complaints it is with the part of Guinevere, played by Angel Coulby. Guinevere should not have been made a servant, but if you're going to go against story, this is not surprising.
    For those that enjoy tales of Arthur, I highly recommend The Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell.
  • I hate Morgana

Can't we please deal with Morgana and move on already?
  • Like the humor in this show

Wish they had not cancelled Camelot:(
  • Legendary

How can simple things sometime be over looked. This is a show that brings a new dimension to the the mythical and ever intriguing world of King Arthur. Merlin is young and I hope that we can learn more about his abilities and see what character he will develop into. Monster or hero? Sincerely may this not be the last of this epic story.
  • My Favorite show since Charmed!

Love this show. Hope it continues on.
  • Merlin's past

I am a huge fan of sci-fi and historical shows that have some truth/fantasy in them. Merlin is one show that uses modern day british language but it stays true to the myths and fantasy that is "Merlin." the idea of being Arthur's ward and the freindship that they share is a wonderful tale of before the legend became myth. This show made me cry, laugh and demand more. I for one have gotten several people involved in this show since on day 1 6.8 million viewers can't be wrong. the only down side to this show is the short seasons. i for one would prefer 24 episodes a season and 2x a year if it were possible. several thumbs up and thank you england for giving us your best. this is truly a wonderful experience for this little canadian.
  • Proof that good quality family shows still exist. Thoroughly enjoyable viewing!

A new take on the Arthurian legend in which Merlin is Arthur's contemporary. Arthur is still a prince and his father Uther Pendragon has outlawed magic. As such, Merlin must hide his magical abilities whilst performing his duties as Arthur's manservant and secretly saving the prince's royal backside on multiple occasions. The story does not follow legend too closely (is there a definitive legend?), but I think this works to it's credit; those who are familiar with the legend will still face surprises. That isn't to say that aspects of the legend don't make an appearance in some form: Excalibur and the Lady of the Lake, for instance. Yes there are numerous anachronisms but it gets away with them well -- the fantasy genre helps.

The show benefits from some excellent characters, wonderfully portrayed, who have a great chemistry on-screen. One of the key aspects of the show is the developing friendship between Merlin and Arthur, played brilliantly by Colin Morgan and Bradley James. Over time, with Merlin's influence, Arthur is starting to develop from an arrogant prat into the future king he is destined to become, whilst Merlin himself, with assistance from his mentor Gaius and the Great Dragon, gradually begins to mature into Arthur's future advisor.

Overall this show has a perfect blend of drama and humour (2x12 - 'The Fires of Idirsholas' is a prime example of this) and I have yet to watch an episode I haven't enjoyed. With the latter half of the second series, the show is gradually becoming darker in tone, but it is reassuring to know that The Powers That Be are mindful that it is the mix of seriousness and comedy which help make the show so good and still intend to keep this balance. Don't expect highly violent actions scenes -- this is a family show after all -- but in 'Merlin' the BBC have produced a highly polished, entertaining programme which should appeal to adults and children alike. Merlin is must-see viewing and I am waiting eagerly in anticipation for the imminent third series.
  • About merlin in his young days and how he started to become a wizard^^. Showing every adventure or challenge he goes through.

I love Merlin it has magic, comedy, dragons, fighting and everything i love to watch^^. I can't wait for more episodes and see him do more magic^^. Love to watch everyone of them^^. I see how they have special guest which is cool and the little boy Asa Butterfield from the boy in the striped pajamas he is super cute. I would recommend this to anyone who likes spells, magic, fighting. i will give this show perfect 10 because it is awesome and fun to watch. So i hope that helped anyone who wants to watch Merlin and enjoy the show.
  • An exciting new spin on a classic favorite. Merlin is for everyone who loves magic, adventure, and handsome British actors.

Merlin is a one-of-a-kind show. Sure, historical fiction has appeared a few times on the airwaves, but not like this. This is a story that portrays of the most legendary characters in all of fiction in a way that's never been done before. Merlin isn't some ancient old guy who protects a king, he's a young boy just learning magic who befriends a prince. It's like Harry Potter meets Camelot. Although it's based very, VERY loosely on the old Arthurian legends it has the same effect: a captivating, wonderful story about bravery and those who protect the ones they love. The characters may not be cutouts of their fantasy counterparts, but they're amazing nonetheless. Besides, if it was a clone of the books how much fun would that be? You'd already know how everything ended. That's pretty boring. This show is for everyone who wants to escape into medieval magic for an hour; and trust me, the second it starts that's just what you'll do.
  • A great and wonderful show!

To be honest, after having seen "Robin Hood", I expected another soapy show with poor stories and poor performances (I admit though, that "Robin Hood" actually got better after a while), but I was completely mistaken! To start with, the cast of "Merlin" is just brilliant! Colin Morgan really makes you get very fond of his character, always fearing that his secret might be discovered. He's very friendly and some kind of cheerful, but he also makes you feel how much weight lasts on his shoulders and he's the best, when he shows how much Merlin is torn apart between his friendship and loyalty towards Arthur and his wish to show the world his real identity. Bradley James is not just a pretty face but a really good actor as well. At first sight, his Arthur is this really spoiled, arrogant brat, but at second sight, underneath this armour, you can see his kindness and -- again -- his loyalty for his friends and James manages to show both facets in a really great way. Richard Wilson's Gaius seems to be a really sweet old man, but you can tell, that he has had his fair share of problems and tragedies in his life as well and I still expect to see some very dark secrets from his past revealed. Every time I really hate Uther, there surely is something, that makes me think that he might not be too bad after all and Anthony Head does a great job, creating his character. The women in this show, Katie McGrath and Angel Coulby are not just pretty bystanders but great actresses who make strong and great characters come alive in a most amazing way. The special effects for the dragon are breathtaking, ... . I could go on forever talking about a cast that is just wonderful, down to the smallest role. The storylines are just great and provide a great mixture of adventure and suspense and really funny moments as well. "Merlin" really is a show I'd like to see go on for many, many season.
  • I do agree it needs fine tuning, and there are some parts that are a bit... hu?!?!? But ...

I do agree it needs fine tuning, and there are some parts that are a bit... hu?!?!? But ... the show is so amazing, its just sucks you in, and you can see its filled with potential.. I just wish they took the budget from legend of the seeker and put it in here, the book was by all time favorite book, the show... all times worse. Merlin, just has that unique, personal, and most importantly (i think) innocence to it, it just enchants you to LOVE the characters. they look so honest, the are versatile and filled with good intentions.. plus, its not filled with noways all about sex\stunts\reality all other shows are about, and the chapters usually have a manning and a moral lesson to tell you. I really do wish it will return.
  • Loved the show hated the ending

I loved this show so much. The ending was too much. It was not how I wanted the show to end AT ALL. Yes Arthur dies in the legend but this show is as close to the legend as a needle in a haystack.

I wanted Arthur to know about Merlin's magic and be ALIVE.

There was no Albion, and Kilgharrah could've healed Arthur if only Merlin had called him a lot sooner!

Also, why would you show an ending like that ON CHRISTMAS EVE?! Honestly!

2012 will be remembered as THE WORST CHRISTMAS EVER!!!

• BRING BACK MERLIN NOW!!!!!!!

BRING BACK MERLIN! BRING BACK MERLIN! BRING BACK MERLIN!!!!!!
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7