Merlin

BBC (ended 2012)

boom-moo

Merlin Fan Reviews (180)

• Butchered the mythology

I'm not going to go long.. but once I hit the 3rd season and they were still pulling the trite and unskilled "o look, somehow no one notices anything" BS I finally had to spoil myself and then laughed before getting pissed that a bunch of hacks were allowed to butcher the mythology of Arthur and Merlin... two years of the games I could take, but when it just kept going and keeps going til the bloody end of the normal myth then it's just time to admit it's utter crap by any standards. There is no defending this show at this point... too many screw ups with the major points of mythology and characters, especially the bond and understanding between Merlin and Arthur... and I thought the more equal friends route could be good. Too bad they hired a bunch of idiots that couldn't actually understand the mythology at all.
  • My only wish...

that we had more time when Arthur knew Merlin's true identity. But pretty much my favorite show of all time. I particularly recommend it if you enjoy bromance!
  • Best Show Ever!

I love everything about this show. This is my favorite show of all time, my friends and I actually dressed up as the characters from Merlin for Halloween, it was pretty awesome. I wish there were more seasons of this show, but overall I am very happy with it.
  • Merlin ending

To be honest this was one of the best shows I've seen in a long time and I though the ending was perfect. Although the show didn't stick to the legend exactly it did always stick to the basics and unfortunately who dies and by whose hand is one of those things they have to follow. It was heart wrenching but I think that everything happened when it was supposed to, had Merlin told Arthur sooner he would have been kicked out of the kingdom and unable to help Arthur in the future. I think that Arthur and Merlin did build a better Albion and gave it better people to lead (Gwen and the Knights). Just because the end of a show makes you sad doesn't mean it was bad, it made you feel something and that makes it good TV.
  • A great show

It was a truly great show, and the ending was spectacular!

(ENDING SPOILER ALERT)

Most people miss the whole point of the ending, mostly because most people dnt know the true legend. Arthur was supposed to die by mordred's hand since the very beginning. Merlin does not die, and Arthur never comes "back to life" as most people think (at least for the present day *winkwink*). The ending was really beautiful though, and the fact that it stayed pretty close to the legend made it even better. I don't think the ending was rushed at all, and the fact that merlin told Arthur the truth the very end made it even more emotional, especially because if he didn't, Arthur would have had to kill Merlin (according to the law).

Overall, great show! And even though the seasons has its ups and downs and sometimes the stories become repetitive and it's hard to watch, the ending is really worth it! :D
  • Best TV show but a disapointing ending.

The show was perfect since the beginning. the actors really knew how to make someone to be glued to the TV, the last season started well but the final episode was not what I was hoping for. like everyone else watching Merlin we always wanted to see how Arthur would continue ruling Camelot knowing that Merlin has magic. but instead the writer decided to disappoint our suspense and have Merlin confess at the last 5 minutes of the final episode. to be honest I am tired with almost all the series programs ending with suspense I miss the shows with a good and happy ending.
  • One of my favorite shows... (spoiler alert!)

came in with a bang and out with a whimper! I adored this program--the overall quality of each season's programs was phenomenal--the acting, the scenery, costumes, story... such soulful, magical beauty. Was bummed it was ending but such is life... hubby and I had been looking forward to the series finale-- what a disappointment! The last episode was so full of plot- holes. Seemed so rushed-- nonsensical--insulting to the intelligence of the audience. Morgana, Arthur, and Mordred met their demise through the power of the sword, while "Merlin" met it's demise through a dis-empowered pen. We are left with the impression that the sword is mightier than the pen. Such a weak ending. Can anyone pull the pen from the stone.. and work it? As a whole, the show was brilliant.

• Fantastic Show

I've heard rumors that Merlin is be cancelled. I hope this isn't true! It is one of the best television shows to ever come out, and be a senior citizen, I've seen plenty of them. My husband and I watch it faithfully and I've even bought the box sets for each season. Please, if you're reading this and have any control, don't cancel it!!!
  • MERLIN'S PURE MAGIC

I love this programme, it's just so entertaining from start to finish. The writers really did themselves proud this time. The characters that play in this show all integrate superbly together, it just works so well. Merlin is adorable and has such a strength of character that he just shines. Arthur just oozes the right amount of sex appeal but I can't see what he sees in Gwen I'm afraid. I sometime want to just shake her and shout get off your bottom and find a way to be with him. Gaius is just so sweet, I want to take him home to meet my mum. Luther needs a good kick up the bottom and Sir Lancelot, well, lets just see more of him please he is such a dish. This show is so good, as you can see, it brings out so many emotions, I can't wait for the next series.
  • Great overall show, but...

I watched Merlin from the start and found the spin on the old story very well told and acted. I give it condos for knowing it was time to finish the adventure as it was starting to wain. However, the final episode and direction it took was lame and lazy. Clearly wrote to put an end to the show and any possible spin offs. So so disappointed
  • Great show that needs to come back

I loved this show it needs to come back for sure... Guineverre should have a little arthur and Merlin will protect him... I really hope they would bring it back... Just to continue on how she controls camelot... It was so sad to see Arthur die... Love watching Merlin... Bring it back please
  • merlins last show was as bad as it gets!

I loved this series and was sad,but anxious to see the final show. What were they thinking. The worst final show I have ever seen. Soooo disappointed that I going to have a cocktail. Thanks a lot for ruining five years of good work. The writers should not be allowed another final show to write. Why ruin something else . Just so disguised after do many years following this show. I give the final show a zero.
  • LOVE THIS SHOW

cant wait for the next take the show off. This is one of the best Sci-Fi Show episode have you wanting more... Shame on you Sci Fi
  • Loved the show didn't like Guinevere or the ending

She smirks too much. Not a real good look for her in some of the scenes. She really had her mouth twitching all the time like a grimace. Not attractive at all. The ending pffft. Real bad. Maybe they should bring the king back to life like they do in our soap operas. He he. I hope they will make a Merlin in our country. I bet the ending would be better and I bet the girl would not be smirky. Is that a maybe not. I like the actress that played the Sister. She knows how to act. They were all good except the smirky girl.
  • Loved the show hated the ending

I loved this show so much. The ending was too much. It was not how I wanted the show to end AT ALL. Yes Arthur dies in the legend but this show is as close to the legend as a needle in a haystack.

I wanted Arthur to know about Merlin's magic and be ALIVE.

There was no Albion, and Kilgharrah could've healed Arthur if only Merlin had called him a lot sooner!

Also, why would you show an ending like that ON CHRISTMAS EVE?! Honestly!

2012 will be remembered as THE WORST CHRISTMAS EVER!!!

• Love watching Merlin great show

love watching Merlin ! When is it coming back on ???
  • Great Show-Bad Ending

I liked it so much!! The idea was innovative, showing them at an early stage. The episodes had a good measure of adventure, magic, fun!! All actors served their parts very nicely. And it is a BBC production, so one could not expect anything less from it's quality. However, I did not appreciate the ending very much. I did not mind it being only five season, even though I think it could have endured longer, they had things to show. What I didn't like though was the fact that Arthur did not learn about Merlin until the very last episode and of course that he died. I really wanted to see them interact while Arthur knew that Merlin was a wizard. Unfortunatelly that did not happen. And if I remember correctly, Arthur dies in other interpretations as well, but here it was in a very early stage and I think it did not suit the whole character of the series. Anyway, I still refuse to see the two last episodes...
  • BRING BACK MERLIN NOW!!!!!!!

BRING BACK MERLIN! BRING BACK MERLIN! BRING BACK MERLIN!!!!!!
  • A sad but solid ending. with a bit of nice twist.

I appreciated the show. The ending was fitting.

I can't help but wonder if the creators of this show would entertain the notion of extrapolation where Arthur does return..

After all, that's pretty much the gist of it right? Merlin is servant of Arthur and Arthur is destined to eventually return.

So, I wonder if maybe .. a post - apocalyptic war happened and a new Arthur would be destined to bring back the fractured humanity. It would be the same Merlin.. A re-incarnated Arthur .. and then.. everything else can be totally left to the writers imagination.
  • Bad Ending

Please Merlin fans, join 2return, Twitter: @merlin2return. We are a real group working together for a single purpose. Bringing Merlin back. We can do it if we have the numbers and work together. Come on people, Merlin needs us.

The ending ruined the show for me. Short battle. No epic fight between Merlin and Morgana. Arthur dies, Merlin is a total failure and goes off to be alone forever. Why would they have Gaius tell Gwen that Arthur was in good hands? He wasn't. Why didn't the dragon save Arthur? Gwen has to rule alone. Her and Arthur were barely together. What about Merlin's mom? The ending just fell apart. All they had to do was: 1) Merlin arrives at the battle as himself on the back of the great dragon. 2) Merlin has epic battle with Morgana and wins. 3) Arthur and Mordred fight and Arthur wins, but is hurt. 4) Dragon heals Arthur. 5) Arthur tells the dragon he was wrong. 6) Arthur & Merlin ride the dragon back to Camelot 7) Arthur tells everyone about Merlin and how magic isn't evil, only some who use it for evil. 8) end with Arthur and the knights at the round table and we see Merlin sitting at Arthurs side, dressed in red. Arthur then says this is a new beginning. The ending the writers made was garbage. Every season, Merlin was told to protect Arthur because one day he and Merlin would rule together and bring about change. The bad ending made the whole show pointless. I used to watch this show all of the time, it was fun. I loved this show so much until the ending. Now I'll never watch it again. You can't make a show with so much heart, have a sad and hopeless ending. Bad move writers. This is a family show? All this shows kids is no matter what you do, how hard you try, evil always wins in the end, so why bother. One man can't make a difference. I can't believe the cast agreed to film this horrible ending. I wonder what their feelings are about it.

• Merlin ended with out a real ending : That will change :)

3.5
    But unlike most ppl who say how sad they are there is a group of over 6500 ppl from all over the world who are doing a lot of things no just petitioning to change the ending of season -5 and get a season 6 i find them all to be nice , kind ppl , they come from all over from age 13 to 68 they work hard and they are making a change i joined them and i invite you 2

Do remember unlike Fan pages This is an action page :)

2return***ts&fref=ts
  • Press make next season.

Press make next season. I very love this series.
  • A great show that faded to a good one

I adore Merlin, it's one of my favourite shows and has been for a while but I've always felt it never reached it's true potential. While the acting is incredible and the characters engaging and deep the writing for the show has always annoyed me. The first and second season had great writing and acting but the story lines were average, still enjoyable but not amazing.

However as the show began to get darker the story lines became more and more interesting and exciting but for some reason the good writing from earlier seasons seemed to disappear. Episodes with a wonderful premise like 'The Dark Tower' were executed terribly. Many characters died without good reason, specifically Gwaine, whose death was used for little more than shock value. Not to mention that the continuity between series 4 and 5 is appalling. I watched the entire season waiting for questions to be answered and they never were.

Why did Kilghrrah never mention to Merlin that Aithusa was missing?

Why did Aithusa side with Morgana in the first place?

If Aithusa can't speak how does Morgana know her name?

Why has Mordred gone from hating Merlin to wanting his trust and approval?

And while I can fully understand killing off Arthur just like in the legends I think it would have been better if we had at least gotten some of the things we had been promised since episode one. There was no Golden Age, no magical freedom and no combination of the five kingdoms. It has been implied since episode one that we were some day going to get all these things but they are all taken away at the last second. And instead we get Merlin, wandering the earth alone, all his friends dead, waiting.

All over it's worth watching just for the superb acting skills of the cast, especially in the latter season. They made the show worth while, it is sad to see a show with such great potential watered down by bad writing and execution.
  • stong bond of friendship between Merlin and Arthur

Its actually very wonderful how they grown to care and love one another almost like brothers shows the true meaning of friendship its perfect i get so excited when merlin series goes way beyond magic but how care love togetherness regardles of color can keep family friends and love ones from falling apart i love that he got married to gwen it shows no superiority but that we are cried to day when arthur was poisioned and seeing merlin in such a state of sadness Its the best series ever I LOVE ALL THE CAST OF MERLIN GREAT JOB GUYS
  • Friendship between Arthur and Merlin is what everyone should see.

Some people don't see where the show truly and brilliantly Shined. Friendship between Arthur and Merlin is what everyone should see. All the funny, serious, lovely scenes.. adventures, magic, dragons! The ACTING! Have you forgotten about it all? There are scenes that i would watch over and over, because they were magnificent.

The King will rise again!
  • Worst Ending Ever....

Speechless. Felt like wasted my whole time watching it.
  • Amazing Show

I just recently discovered this amazing show about three months ago. I watch with my brother and sister all the time. Honestly the end was good, so sad it broke my heart, but still good. Now I bet you're like, "WHAT!" but the truth is this is how it was going to end. Think about. Is magic around today? No, so even if it was fiction, the Arthur legends have some truth in them.

But I was disappointed with Arthur and Mordred's fight. I mean come on! It was like what three hits, and then end game? Yeah, that stunk.

Overall this show was amazing. The acting, the action, the characters, the plot, and everything else. I think what made the ending so freaking sad that I wasn't working for like three days, was you grow so attacted to Arthur, and then he just dies. But I believe he had a good way of going, You know what I mean?

And the very last scene I'd heard some people don't understand, basically, Merlin is waiting for Arthur to return, and he's been waiting from when Merlin takes place to our year.

I was a little disappointed with Morgana's death. I thought her's was a little weak, but yet he got it over with. And I think the whole point of the last episode is to show how much Merlin was willing to do for Arthur.

And remember tragic, this was kind of supposed to be a tragic. I still think kids will love it, my five year sister adore all of season 1, 2, 3, and 4. And if you don't feel comfortable letting your kids watch season 5, don't let them. I heard that season was supposed to reach a little bit older age group too.

So to sum it up. It truely is an awesome show that you should totally watch. The end maybe let you feeling like thing weren't answered though, so if you hate that, then yeah. But still I love this show!
  • Merlin - Why!?

Merlin is a wonderful show and my husband and I always looked forward to watching it. When will they finally kill Morgana, we would wonder. When will Arthur learn of Merlins magic, we would wonder. When will magic finally be accepted into the kingdom, we would wonder? We were HIGHLY disappointed they decided to include everything with the exception of legal magic in the last episode. It is almost as if someone walked in the studio and said, "I don't think I want to do this anymore" and they finished the series and everything interesting about it and sliced it to bits in the last episode. How sad!
  • MERLIN

Merlin is my favvvvvvvvvvv serial. I was so upset when i watched the last episode and i request you to extend the serial with Aurthur as a king. Missing Merlin serial. The actors and actress have done ultimate job, they have given justice to their roles. I love all people, who are acted in Merlin .. Wowwwww i have no words to express about the series ..
  • The ending and mixed feelings

I have only just watched the finale of Merlin so I appreciate this subject has been well covered by others but it's helpful to express oneself!

I was surprised how affected I was I have genuinely experienced a few days of mild grief which is an odd experience for a fictional TV programme.

I think the reason is the excellent acting of the two male leads combined with the fact that the writers displayed the sadness far too much and uncessarily.

I have no problem with sadness in programmes but it's best accompanied by a sense of redemption and/or closure neither of which I felt was achieved. Think of The Shawshank Redemption as an example of how to do it well.

I didn't mind the small plot holes or the artists doing what they want with their medium but the sense of sadness at the end was overwhelming instead of appropriately balanced.

I think that in the final scene with Merlin in modern times that were trying to convey his love for Arthur, the hope of Arthur's return (because Merlin and Arthur are linked and if Merlin is alive then there's hope for Arthur) and a sense that the mission has in fact been achieved because Arthur has not had to return to re-unite the kingdoms again. They were also trying to convey the hope of magic in the world.

It was a positive concept however what most viewers received is a sense of sadness as we realise that Merlin has been alive for 1000+ years and has seen all the people he's known and loved come and go with no pending sense of Arthur's return. Also he's know alive in a world where his kind of magic is even less accepted than before. Even if Arthur did return everyone he's known and loved will have been long gone too (other than Merlin).

Also Arthur's death which was uncessary for the plot. Throughout we were promised that he would bring Albion to the land and yet he dies just at the dawn of that age. In the most traditional view of the legend he dies as an older man, having experienced bad times but also Albion.

Therefore, we are left with Merlin having partly been involved in the rise of Morgana and Mordred, having failed to save Arthur and wandering the earth without his friends and Arthur having died before he sees Albion leaving Gwen and the Knights to build the kingdom without him. This is not the ending to the series that most fans would have wanted.

An alternative view is that having won the battle they prevented tyranny and evil from ruling the land and that was the start of Albion but I would have preferred the happier way of presenting that.

I do console myself with the possibility that all the characters have been talking together in the spirit world so that Merlin hasn't been that lonely (after he did meet Balinor as a spirit).

Given that the aim of the series was to achieve Albion within the plot lines and to be a type of Smallvile programme in terms of it's aim then it was uncessary for Arthur to die (after all I don't recall Smallville killing Superman off before he became the public superhero).

A better ending in my opinion would have been to remove that final scene and for Arthur to have been saved, return to Camelot to make a noble speece about building Albion, for magic to have been made legal and to enjoy the reactions of the other characters now that they know who Merlin is.

I would have counterbalanced this by a scene in which we see that Morded has not been fatally wanted and he telepathically says to Merlin that he will return in the future to seek his vengeance (to which Merlin replies 'not yet' and turns to join his smiling friends). By doing this we would have had a happy ending and a time of Albion all tempered by the knowledge that it's not over. That would have given viewers a sense of closure.

At the least there should be a Christmas special or film to finish off the loose ends.

Great acting let down by average writing at the end and too much meandering in series 5.