The Dragon's Call

Aired Unknown Sep 20, 2008 on BBC

• Merlin is sent to live with Gaius by his mother who is worried about his abilities. On arrival Merlin is witness to what happens in Uther's realm when one uses magic. Arthur is no more than a bully but Merlin finds out his destiny is tied to him.

An interesting adaptation of the Arthurian Legend. Merlin and Arthur as young adults. This is a very upscale reproduction of life in the world of Camelot. I am a little disappointed by the fact it is airing on NBC and has been almost ignored by them as a throw away show. Typical NBC. You sort of wonder why they bought the rights in the first place?

Merlin learns early on that his destiny is tied to Arthur's from the Great Dragon who Merlin seems to have a special link too. This is rather horrific as Arthur is depicted as a bully who has few if any redeeming values. It is not hard to understand as King Uther Pendragon seems to be a man of limited intellect who is drunk with power and his father the current ruler. Uther is played by the well known Anthony Stewart Head of Buffy the Vampire Slayer fame.

Also of interest is the King's ward Morgana and her maid servant Guinevere. It will be interesting to see how the story weaves itslef around the original legend and what way the stories will take the characters.

Richard Wilson is enjoyable as Gaius Merlin's mentor and confidant. Gaius is the court Physician and seems to have free run of the castle which is important in the story's arc. Colin Morgan is fine as Merlin and Bradley James the III is a dashing young Arthur. Morgana who was Merlin's adversary in the legend stories is played by the beautiful Katie McGrath. Finally Gwen is played by Angel Coulby. This is the only character I can't get a handle on as this shouldn't be the Gwen of the legend but I believe that is who they are playing the character as? I don't think Gwen was a maid servant in the original legends?

I really enjoyed this episode immensely and the outcome was well thought out. Production values are good, storylines seemed pretty solid, and characterizations thoughtful. This should be a fun series for the summer months. I wonder if they are planning on continuing it after that as I believe it is a returning series in the UK.

Thanks for reading...