Miami Medical

Calle Cubana

Aired Friday 10:00 PM May 07, 2010 on CBS

5.1
  • A good start, a great premise, an annoying lack of intelligent camera work.

I was enjoying the show up to the point that the frenetic shaky cam in the linen room blew it out the door.

Perhaps the editor / director / producer thinks that it looks "fabulous" on the small monitor screen. But when viewed on an 8' wide HDTV screen it is putrid.

As an audience member who is fed up with the BAD camera work, I cannot recommend this episode. The hand held camera work is unwatchable. When I, a live human being, watch something I don't see a shaky image, I see a steady image even if I'm jarred. I possess a visual processing computer system that transcends any piece of photographic hardware existing by a huge margin. There is absolutely nothing endearing about shakycam, it's a fad that's being overused by individuals without a scrap of real creativity. It works in very small doses (very very small) where it can express chaos but when it's the entire visual presentation it's just visual noise. And like most other noise, I tune it out...or turn it off.

It is my personal opinion that the audience, knowing that film maker wants to keep them engaged in the story, has every reason to put their hand up and say 'I can't engage with your story when you shake the camera so much I can't see a damn thing.'