Miami Vice

NBC (ended 1989)

Miami Vice Fan Reviews (36)

• The tv series is remembered by everyone from the 80s. It redefined how people dressed and acted. Great show.

The tv series is remembered by everyone from the 80s. It redefined how people dressed and acted. Great show. Two police detectives in a fun and action filled series from the hot city of Miami. It's been recognized as one of the most recognized and action packed TV series of all time. I love these shirts by the way: http://www.tvstoreonline.com/miami002.html . Despite some implausible storylines, cornball humor, and over-the-top melodrama, Miami Vice was the seminal Cop Show of The 80s Me Decade. No Cop Show before it had dealt with the realities of drugs, power, corruption, and money in Multi-cultural America the way this show did. And it was FUN to watch! Created by Anthony Yerkovich and produced by famed movie director Michael Mann. Don Johnson as James "Sonny" Crockett, Phillip Michael Thomas as Ricardo Tubbs, and Edward James Olmos as the stoic Lt. Martin Castillo, were perfect in their respective roles. If they were one thing; They were cops! The rest of the supporting cast fit in well. As well as providing comic relief to the more serious themes of evil, vice, and crime. Jan Hammer created one of the most recognizable themes in all of Television History as well as composing background music for nearly every episode of it's five year run. (Jan Hammer dropped out of the series towards the end. Tim Truman was chosen by Michael Mann to compose some great music for the final 22 episodes.) Seasons Four and Five are considered the years that Miami Vice "jumped the shark." If you're a fan, you know where you stand. I love them all. It's one of the episodes I remember vividly from the 80s and it's a scream! Tight and loose fitting pastel fashions. 80s New Wave, Pop, Top 40, and Reggae provided some of the cinematic background Music Video sequences for a brand new MTV Generation. Fast exotic cars, like Ferraris and Lamborghinis. They too, were characters in the show. Fast exotic car chases. Wealthy well-dressed eccentric cocaine and heroin dealers. The Miami Club Scene. Beautiful modern luxury dream homes. Fast Cigarette boats and luxury yachts. Brutal and blazing police shootouts.
  • 1980's cop show about Miami Vice detectives Sonny James Crockett and Ricardo Tubbs and the scum they take down on the streets of Miami.

The greatest cop show ever made. Period end of story. Crockett and Tubbs are the best buddy cops there was or ever will be. The reason I gave this show a 9.5 and not a 10 was because as we all know after the 3rd season, Vice went downhill and never came back up for air. Other than that this show had hit written all over it. Clearly the best show of the 80's. I have seasons 1-3 on DVD and they have been a godsend to me. I can't wait to get seasons 4 and 5 and complete the collection.
  • What a great show.

This show is truly one of the greatest ever put on tv. The cast knows how to act, the direcectors and writers do their jobs. The whole plot is just a refreshing story brimming with action. The show is basically about a Miami Cop named James "Sonny" Crockett in the Vice unit, and a ex-Robbery cop from New York named Ricardo Tubbs. Tubbs come down to Miami following after a man, Calderon, a vicious Drug Lord who had Tubb's brother shot. Crockett's partner Eddie is killed while undercover. The two cross paths and eventually and become partners after some brutal transactions. The show's famous for it's generation inspiring fashions, it's amazing story and actor's and the music of the 80's everyone loved so much. I recomend watching this show.
  • I'm glad this show is finally out on DVD! It was an amazing show.

This has got to be one of the BEST shows of the 80's! It was very ground breaking for the times. The whole show not only encompasses action adventure, but also trendy clothes and GREAT music!! Everyone who watched this show eventually dressed like the characters. Music for each episode was created by Jan Hammer and other popular artists like Phil Collins and Glenn Fry. And each episode was filled with flashy cars and beautiful mansions. Don Johnson and Phillip Michael Thomas were virtually unknowns. The two stars were ultimately elevated to iconic stature. If you were to watch the episodes today you would notice many great actors today got a start on this show, Bruce Willis, Julia Roberts, and the list goes on.
  • ok

6.8
    This show is OK. I think it's good. It just what I need when I get home from a bad day at work. It’s entertaining full of laughs and makes me want to never move again. It really captures the free spirit of media and keeps you wanting and guessing for more. It’s the kind of show that you don’t need to constantly watch in order to get the whole spectrum of what’s going on, I really like that, that way you can do multiple things at once. If you feel like it that is. This is defiantly one of my favorite shows.
  • It used fashion, color, and a varied musical selection in order to accentuate and amplify the emotional undercurrent of the drama it portrayed.....

Miami Vice was the most action-pack police TV programs of all time. I remember that I waited for the show every Wednesday prime time. Miami Vice had a huge impact for the decade in Men’s fashion (T-shirt under Armani jacket – Don Johnson look so cool and chic wearing these clothesline), the hip rock hits of 1980’s and start of evolution of quality police drama. Miami vice may not have those unusual cameral angles and percussive editing techniques like modern TV program (e.g CSI and its spin-off shows) but it bested in emotions and energy.
  • A trendsetter!

At the time of writing, the anti-80s sentiment that was so strong particularly in the 90s has more or less disappeared. Finally, we can again appreciate this strange decade's fashion. Miami Vice was cutting-edge, the coolest of the coolest, and a must-see for those fascinated by 80s aesthetics. Some of the episodes are actually slow and contemplative, focusing much more on building a cool atmosphere rather than on endless action scenes. Somehow, it captures much of the optimistic "no problem" attitude of the decade that has recently been dismissed as "kitsch". At least, this is the case for the first couple of seasons. The speculative elements that at the time raised some criticism look innocent and almost charming compared to what's being shown today. You can see cool design, cool clothes, cool architecture, cool attitudes, cool cars, cool boats, listen to cool music. Though one may like or dislike the style, everyone will see that there has been put quite an enormous effort into all this. As for the stories, they fit the spirit of the series quite well - they're interesting enough to catch your interest - never complex, but not devoid of intriguing and well-developed characters. This is simply one of the best showcases for what the 80s were all about.
  • Having just recently discovered this series, I immediately understood why people love it so much.

Now this is what 1980s Miami was all about - the neon lights, the upper class driving expensive cars, ganag violence, cocaine distribution, big yachts...

Nothing on TV has ever soothed me more than MIAMI VICE, with its speeding cars and swift acton. Each episode is special and different from the last, and none of the episodes parallel each other. Here in 1980s Miami, we follow Miami Vice detectives Crocket and Tubbs, Miami's dynamic duo. This series is everything any action fan would want and in addition it promises so much more. Watch it and you'll understand.
  • A show that was way out in front as far as stlyish cops that were actually cool. Crocket and Tubbs set the bar.

Sometimes you don't appreciate what you had until you see a flashback of neon green suit that could only have been rocked back in the 80's. The thing about MV is that the characters were smoother than whipped creme and they knew it. Not only did they Know it but they used it to their advantage and actually cought criminals with thier coolness (at least I believe that). putting Glen Fry as a criminal as well as many other celebrity guest apperances, made the whole show light up like a party on south beach. Have fun with this show becouse it set the standard for detectives on CSI, Without a trace, and every other cop on the beat that acts like being a cop and a mac daddy are one in the same.
  • Great Show, Great Actors

The most famous duo of the 80's on TV had to be Crockett and Tubbs from this show. With MTV just making it big on the scene with it's videos (Yes, back then the original MTV did actually play music videos, hence the name Music TeleVision) and Miami Vice pulling in the ratings, this show was music and drama at its best. But other than the music, the action from this show was excellent for it's time and had me tuning in every week to watch, even when it was a rerun. It is too bad that there is not a show like this on today.
  • Miami Vice

sometimes you have to say think you to DVDs because some of the old show will never see again.
    Miami Vice is about a two cops who enfroce the law in Miami what makes this show different is the by not a having the cops must TV cops and having them slick and style is is prety good what also makes Miami vice relly good is how it shoots kind of like a movie using the same camera style and things like that also make it relly good TV show.
    I guess that is all I have to say about this show.
  • One word describes this show: AWESOME!

Sure there were some episodes that sucked. But the show as a whole totally rocked! Even the weird ones near the end of the series like MISSING TIME where James Brown was singing "I Feel Good" where the girls get their own episode and chase down an alien with 2 hearts, a houseboat explodes and at the end when everyone thought it was dream there was a jar of peanut butter and a photo of the houseboat in a the desk drawer. But I digress...

The look and feel of this show is good even 20 years later! Most shows made 20 years ago havent aged well, but this one is like fine wine that gets better with age. Its like a time capsule of the 80s. Crockett and Tubbs had top notch chemistry and the other cast members made the whole thing work. There really hasnt been a show like it since. That Colin Farrell travesty produced earlier this year tarnished everything Miami Vice was. Miami Vice was Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas and Edward James Olmos. They should have used the original actors and picked it up 20 years later where Olmos was Chief of Police and Johnson and Thomas would be Lieutenants breaking in new guys (other than Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx) to provide continuity and the plot involving a villian from the old series. But alas, like so many other attempts to exploit old tv shows, this one ended up doing nothing but ending up as a cheap copy.
  • the hottest cop couple ever!

I had a mayor crush on Rico... it was in the 90's when i saw Miami Vice... the series started a year earlier than i did haha :o)

I always watched it, i loved it! The drama would often make me cry, the humour made me laugh out loud and the actions made me sit on the edge of the couch... i loved it!

The music in certain scenes... PERFECTION! There hasn't been such a good music choice for series since!

The clothes... cars... boats... come on! It was just... HOT! All of it! Even the pet of Sonny was awesome! Elvis... the alligator... haha ;D

It was the best detective series with true action in it ever :D
  • Another cool unpredictable show

This show is another unpredictable show where you dont know what its gonna happen and when.There are some times gunshots episodes but this arent those type of shows that make this show good because of the gunshots or the guns.This show makes it good because of the storyline and they also have good music good clothes good cars and the view makes it good.Also the actors are famous in this show. You can see this show and watch a show from now and you will see that there its a big difference but it doesnt matter this show is a classic so I will like to collect the dvd because some of this shows episodes are awesome.
  • Two sexy undercover vice cops posing as drug dealers.What's not to love? The supporting cast was great, but Crockett and Tubbs made the show what it was! The music made it even better.

You gotta love it! Fast cars, hot detectives and cool stories! Don Johnson is so fine, he makes the trip back to memory lane worth it. If you watch, you see a lot of familiar faces that are still around today. Willie Nelson, Phil Collins, Bruce Willis, Steve Buscemi,Charles Dutton, Edward James Olmos, Pam Grier to name a few and many more.
  • Wow!

I watched Miami Vice every weekday evening, a few years back. It was brilliant! I loved it. It's a typical feel-good show. You sit down, and enjoy watching it. After it ended, you feel much better. Its not like you get depressed or cry. I loved the cast too. The music. The action. Everything!

This show, is, REALLY good to reflect the 80's 'dream' america. You know... fast cars, sexy girls, miami, beach, sun... ahh. Lovely.

I wish the movie they made would have been more similiar to the show. The movie blows, the show ROCKS. This show, is, without a doubt, one of the best.
  • Trendsetter !

When Miami Vice debuted on TV, it shocked eveyone with its display of fast cars, classy dresses and "James Bond" like of lifestyle. Although the plots revolved around the lives of Miami's Vice Squad, people were more interested in what kind of fashionable dresses the cops wore, what expensive cars they drove and the personal trials and tribulations they went through while chasing the bad guys who also wore fashionable clothes, drove fast cars and had beautiful women surrounding them at all times. In fact the show launched a new trend in men's fashion where wearing pastel jackets, loafers and hats to work became the buzz word. Also, sporting a 3 day old fuzz on one's face was a sign of being ruggedly masculine and not a slob. If only the producers had fine tuned the plots, the series could have lasted much longer.
  • One of the best cop shows ever.

I remember when this show came out, it was so cool. The soundtrack really rocked. Miami Vice was the definition of cool. The show was on for 5 years, not bad. Each episode was just awesome. It may be old now, this show was a classic. Now that the movie version is coming out, it will bring me back to the days of Don Johnson. I love this show, the soundtrack really made this show extra cool. If there a good shows during the 80s, Vice belongs on the top. The cars, the girls and the streets of Miami really gave the show a tasty flavor. Miami Vice rocks!
  • This show is better than most shows on today

This show changed alot of things about well, cop shows. The stories in the show are great, along with the music (for the time). The two characters in the show for some reason are just so easy to get, and understand. They have great dialoge and to top that this show has great acting. When i say this show is better than most shows on today, i mean it. If you want to see a great show that has great stories and great character, with amazing acting look not further... go buy it on DVD or just watch some repeats
  • good show from the 80's

i remember when this show was the thing to do on friday night. some of the advocacy groups thought that it was too violent and put women in a bad light. i thought it was a cool show. but i was glad that it ended when it did. i do not think it would have done well if it had gone on any longer.
  • Nothing can smooth out a summer evening better than two episodes of Miami Vice...

I must admit - up until now I have never heard about Miami Vice. I knew the name of course, but I never knew what hides behind this name.

A few days ago I was hitting stores and came upon the first episode of Miami Vice. I think I was acting on an impulse, when I decided to buy it. And it is the best thing ever happened to me during this summer. The show is delicious! Scenery, music, acting - everything is top notch. It`s a pity Hollywood doesn`t make such good shows anymore...

Now, after surviving the hell of the hot day I can come home and relax watching a couple of MV episodes in a row... I already know what my next buy will be - Miami Vice, Season 2.
  • Crockett\\\'s old buddy from the academy returns as an undercover ATF agent and because of bad blood,Crockett nearly implodes.

I just bought my first DVD(portable) and bought Season 1 that same day.I had been wanting Miami Vice on DVD since the release date back in February of \\\'05.When I was about 12 years old me and my big sister used to fight over the remote control on MV fridays.She was a fan.I wasn\\\'t.
    This was the episode that turned me into a huge MV fan.That opening scene in the warehouse with the Mac-10\\\'s and the gold manequins was amazingly awesome!The dialouge and acting can\\\'t be beat.Basically,Crockett\\\'s old buddy from the academy returns as an undercover arms dealer.
  • I'm not sure if it's a good trend or not.

I remember pretty much liking this show. It wasn't the best crime show of all times, but it was definitely a better one. I personally remember liking the parts with Sonny's family and how his job affected his marriage and his son. Looking back on episodes now a lot of good actors had guest starring roles in this show. The stories were usually good and the acting was above average. I know that Don Johnson's wardrobe started a whole fashion trend that looking back on the 80's we could have done without, but at the time it was cool.
  • The music alone was a good enough reason to watch this great cop show. Don Johnson was great in this role.

The music alone was a good enough reason to watch this great cop show. Don Johnson was great in this role. This was more than a pretty good television series. As is normal with good television shows, this one did not last long enough. This is a show that I would suggest watching if you get the chance. Check the bargain bins at Wal-Mart, the online movies sites (Amazon.com and such) and all of the cable channels that run old shows. Nick at Nite and TV Land are great for theses kind of shows. They will even do a week long spot for shows that only had 6 or so episodes. Then you have your super stations. They run a bunch of old shows too. All in all a pretty good show that did not get a good enough chance. Sometimes it is a simple as the show it is up against. Look at Law & Order. It is one of the longest running shows on TV. They moved it to go up against Lost. After about 2 weeks of getting pounded in the ratings it was moved back to it's original time slot. Shows like this should be given more of an opportunity.
  • Unrealistic but very important.

The 80s were a very unrealistic decade and Miami Vice one of the key offenders of this very thing. The cop look like they came out of Mtv. The toys were big and expensive. The story were almost impossible.
    So what was so great about this show. It was Miami Vice's look of all things. First the use of eye popping colors was what you would notice at the beginning. It seemed to have grabbed you and never let go. But the most important and the cameras. It was the first show that use wide angles and sweeping moves like a movie. This is what changed TV forever. It made the show a legend in cool that is still an inspiration to many media levels.
  • Great show for NBC

As NBC was on a roll thanks to shows
    Like the A-Team and being the #1 network
    This show was MTV cops indeed
    Also made a household name out of Don Johnson
    He and Philip Michael Thomas were cool as ice
    I also loved Edward James Olmos as the unsmiling, tough, but still sympathetic LT and person that the two were under
    As Crockett and Tubbs, they definately had cool clothes and great dialogue!
    It will now be made into a movie with Jamie Foxx & Colin Farrell
    But the original is the original!
  • The real beginning of the 80's

The 80's didn't start until 1984. When a little show named "Miami Vice" blazed on to the small screen the television world was turned upside down.
    It started a new revolution, it redefined the way people watch a cop show. The show had a quality that really no cop show had. It was bright and it brought music by popular artists of the 80's, It even brought those same musicians to star in the show.
    The music was really the star of the show, without the music the show would have just the same old cop show, and other thing that made the show a hit for NBC, was the setting Miami, all the other cop shows where set in New York or Los Angeles.
    Don Johnson and Phillip Michael Thomas were two of the coolest cops on tv, and to me they still are the coolest cops in tv history. those two also brought style to the cop genre, Instead of the traditional coat and tie, they had there cut off shirts there linen jackets, and last the shoes with no socks.
    Even though the show only lasted 5 years it's impact on the world will be remember until the end of time.
  • An 80's Classic!

I first discovered Miami Vice in reruns a few years ago and have been hooked ever since. The show is one of my all time favorites. Although the show had incredibly cheesy moments, it's what made it such a classic. Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas were great as Crocket and Tubbs. This show was a trendsetter for the 80's and continues to be one of the best cop shows ever made. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommened buying the show dvds or looking for the reruns on tv. This show is a true classic.
  • Miami Vice is ok.

Miami Vice is an awesome show, It takes place in the 80s but the music rocks. It is a cool atmosphere in the Miami area. I think after watching it to much though can make you easily hate the show, but overall Miami Vice is awesome. I would recomend this show.
  • The MTV Cop show that did more

Miami Vice tried for a different look. It often used editing cuts more akin to music videos, and employed the current hit songs as well. Michael Mann and his production crew said they made weekly movies.

At times, the continuity of the show was in question, and each season has a definite change in focus and attitude. But the show still works.

Season 1 - gritty, and while hailed for its style, actually had pretty good substance. Plotlines actually carried over through multiple episodes and characters changed.

(The original rating were modest, but in reruns the show took off.)

Season 2 - flashy, stylistic, probably how fans "remember" the show. Less substance overall but great visuals, some good stories self contained. This season made the show the hit it became.

Season 3 - darker and slightly more serious, but maintaining an inherent "coolness" factor. Some outstanding episodes and the first and only main cast departure. Don Johnson's new haircut actually made headlines, one way the show was proven to be a cultural icon.

Season 4 - very uneven. Some absolutely great episodes, and some boring and bad epiosdes, including the series lowpoint. A definite serious edge took hold and while a better drama, some viewers missed the lighter humor that went into the background.

Season 5 - if this had been a new show it would have been lauded. Instead it was "too different" for too many fans. The acting was top notch, but style was eschewed most of the time. (Croclett wore blue jeans in one episode!) The characters faced their final demons and the show ended without a real plausible way to come back.
< 1 2