Midsomer Murders

Dead in the Water

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Oct 17, 2004 on ITV

7.9
  • The Midsomer Regatta is brought to a temporary halt when a body is found and Barnaby and Scott discover that there are quite a few hidden things going on which need investigation.

Guy Sweetman is the Chairman of the Midsomer Rowing Club and there is confusion and panic when he is found dead during the annual Midsomer Regatta.

Barnaby and Scott find that the dead man had been arguing with two friends just prior to his death and that things were not as they seemed for the wealthy and upper class members of the rowing set, in fact, the investigation uncovers quite a few interesting things for the police to delve into.

I enjoyed this episode as it was a good storyline and well acted by those involved but I admit that I am still trying to get used to Barnaby having a new sidekick. To find out what happens, have a look for yourself, I think you'll enjoy the twists and turns at the end. Good viewing!
  • Less murder, more realism on the water

7.2
    Less murder, more realism on the water

Another new episode, this time the murders take place during the Midsomer Regatta. The atmosphere of the episode is brilliant, so are the scenes at the water. The characters in this one are also drawn perfectly. The only problem is the plot, some of the things were just... unoriginal. The storyline about the theft was predictable and used many times. The identity of the murderer can be spot early.

Besides the plot, which is, let's say: not the best one ever written it still is a nice episode. The characters were more realistic then in some episodes in which 3 or 4 people are killed. It was nice to see an episode with only one murder instead of 3 or 4. The killers motive was very convincing and realistic, so was the biggest part of the storyline. The only thing I hated was the "fake" theft to get money from the insurance, it used so many times it has become an anti-climax in the whodunit.

I loved Diana Quick playing Claire Bonavita in this episode. Her role showed her talent at it's fullest. The other actors were also great, realistic. I liked the role of Hetty and her cheerful acting. I certainly will look out for other roles of this actress.

I also liked the way this episode was filmed; it was very light-hearted and happy. The regatta, the nice weather, nice scenes around the water and not to forget Joyce wanting to buy a boat. The humour in the episode is brilliant, so is the joke at the end. The cheerful setting and nice acting in this episode were so good that I didn't mind the anti-climax with the theft. Not the best, but a nice theme and atmosphere make this episode certainly average (perhaps even more).