Midsomer Murders

Death in the Slow Lane

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Mar 23, 2011 on ITV

• Beginning of the End!

I'm afraid we're seeing the beginning of the end of Midsomer Murders. Death in the Slow Lane attempts to combine a traditional girl's school and the inhabitants of a nearby counsel estate -- and fails miserably! I can recall only one previous episode that featured anyone living in counsel flats, The House in the Woods, and those living there were a mother and her two sons, which did not detract from the basic plot. But Death in the Slow Lane actually has John Barnaby and Jones interacting with counsel estate criminals. In other words, the same as the other dime-a-dozen modern-day British mysteries.

Midsomer Murders is supposed to be different -- crime in an idyllic England -- and it is that difference that has kept it popular all these years. Once the writers and producers turn it into just another counsel estate low life series, the show will end -- and on a very LOW note!

Life in the Slow Lane was dull and it took the best I could do to watch it from beginning to end. The plot and characters were lame. However, lamest of all was DCI John Barnaby, who spent an inordinate amount of time conversing with a dog!