Midsomer Murders

Fit for Murder

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Feb 02, 2011 on ITV

• This was a very sad episode for me as it marked the end of John Nettles' long and distinguished career playing the role of Detective Chief Inspector Tom Barnaby.

Tom's birthday is getting close and he seems very edgy about it. Joyce thinks that he is nervous about passing his up-coming police medical exam when in fact, it is more to do with the fact that his father died at around his age.

A weekend of relaxation at a country spa for himself and Joyce should make Tom feel much better, but when, as usual, people start turning up dead, Joyce is not much enjoying her holiday, even though it is business as usual for Tom, Ben Jones and George Bullard. Jones is leading the investigation as Tom is on leave, but Tom ends up being involved anyway when a woman is found floating in a pool, and the spa's doctor is crushed to death by exercise equipment in the gym.

The story wasn't great in places, but the final scene was well worth it as Tom announces his retirement at his birthday party and Joyce, Cully, George, Ben and everyone else of import are there to see him off.

Thank you, John Nettles, for all the wonderful years of entertainment you have given us as Tom Barnaby and thank goodness for my DVD box sets!
PBS