Midsomer Murders

Wednesday 8:00 PM on ITV Premiered Mar 23, 1997 Between Seasons

TheOldBill

Midsomer Murders Fan Reviews (22)

• Tired of the Ridicule!

Although I enjoy Midsomer Murders, I must admit I'm tired of the constant ridicule to all things supernatural, spiritual and religious, not to mention anything that's outside of the mainstream dull box of reality, such as eating healthy, natural healing (including herbology), or any belief system that is not part of the mass, acceptable theme. I get the impression it's written by very conservative, fearful (of anything 'different') people. Too bad really, makes me want to stop watching it. Try coming up with a different approach for once, please!. A little more open-mindedness, and respect for other people's lifestyles/beliefs, would be much appreciated.
  • A decent show.

There are series that exist outside the usual purview of critical reviews. And they spring up on both sides of the Atlantic. Just as we have Angela Lansbury's Jessica Fletcher in 'Murder She Wrote', and Peter Falk as 'Columbo' in the States, we have Tom Barnaby serving and protecting in the villages of Midsomer. And these villages are rife with adultery, greed, psychosis and blackmail ultimately concluding in that most photogenic of crimes - murder.

But one murder is a rarity in these villages. They often arrive in 2's or 3's. Their manner occurring in endlessly creative settings with diverse and colorful weaponry. The episode titles may be lurid, 'Written in Blood', or pulp fiction-ish, 'Death's Shadow'. But now that we've spent 10 years walking the greens and woods, drinking in the pubs, delving into family haunts and shames, we're quite unable to give them up. The sergeants may come and go, but we, the faithful fans, remain.

All too little is dependable in television. Many series seem caught up in the vagaries of fads, or all too eager to introduce cutting edge issues. Not so with 'Murders'. At least, not to the extent that we no longer are willing to tune in. And for this, let's give our lads and lasses 7 stars out of 10.
  • Barnaby: "Lesson number... 21. Never indicate when making a turn. It keeps the other drivers guessing."

7.7
    Terrific show. I first saw it in London four years ago and have enjoyed it ever since.

I love how minld mannered Barnaby is. If anything phases him, it doesn't last long.

I also enjoyed his banter with Sgt Troy. Of the three different sidekicks Barnaby has had, Troy was the best, because he drew out Barnaby's sense of humor. I haven't seen him that amusing since Troy's departure.

So far Scott is my least favorite of the Sgts. Not sure how they explained his departure, as I've only seen two or three episodes with Jones so far. Jones is good. I like how on the ball he is. This way we don't fall into the rut of Barnaby having to train or reprimand yet another of his partners.

The stories are good, though I tend to prefer episodes where there's a smattering of good, likeable characters. Makes it more interesting to me. If everyone is nasty, then I really don't care who's guilty.
  • Formula programming that's getting a bit stale

When I first saw Midsomer Murders, I liked the characters and stories. Good, clean, harmless but nonetheless enjoyable programmes.

I have a slightly biased interest in this series as it's mostly filmed in the area that I live in (South Buckinghamshire). Part of the fun for us is in trying to work out where the OBs were filmed. To be honest, now that the programmes are getting a bit stale (it seems to be the same formula used over and over) I seem to spend half my viewing time looking at the scenery and being completely distracted from the storyline when I see somewhere that I recognise. [ Old Amersham seems to be a real favourite whenever they want a "street scene in a town" ]

I wouldn't be surprised if they "can" it after this series but who know? It could go on and on...
  • A light-hearted crime investigation series worth getting comfortable for. It is not fast-paced, but rather relaxing and enjoyable.

A delightfully gripping get-comfortable-on-the-sofa-with-a-blanket crime drama. Generally light-hearted with a touch of curiously grisly murder to boot. Inspector Barnaby is always on top of his game, with an uncanny ability to solve the crime in a logical and calculated manner. The plots and story lines are fresh and well put together, unpredictable, and quirky; with an emphasis on always keeping you guessing. Well filmed and produced with a very good attention to detail. Some episodes could possibly fit into an hour time-slot, but the full hour and a half is never tedious or boring. It is not fast paced, but certainly entertaining!
  • Midsomer... beautiful but dangerous.

Midsomer Murders is a great show, simple but fun. All of the scenery, lovely little villages and forests are just fantastic. Out of all of Tom Barnaby's sidekicks my favourite has to be Troy, who I think stands out compared to all of the others. I especially liked the earlier episodes of Midsomer Murders as I thought they were more intriguing and interesting in my opinion, but not by much of a margin as they are still very good. The thing I find really funny about the show is that by going by the number of murders in Midsomer, there practically shouldn't be any people left in the whole place.

This is a fantastic show, which is very enjoyable to watch.
  • People die and Barnaby investigate

It's a really good english show. When there is a murder in Midsomer, they call Barnaby who comes there and investigate. Every episods deals with one new murder that often becomes more murders.
    There is this thought that runs in my head: With all the murder in Midsomer, doesn't the village run out of inhabitants? And when do people move there? Question like these runs through my head every new season. But the show is so good I just tend to ignore it.
  • Midsomer is a lively, classic English countryside; the grass is green, the air is sweet and the body count just goes up and up...

I love this show. From first episode to last, I truly love it. It's wholesome, sweet, and chock full of nuts. John Nettles is a wonderful actor; he pulls off the character over and over with terrific energy and good humour. Plus he's sort of, well, I think he's a very good-looking man. But that could just be me, ya know? Basically it's an English cosy mystery series, where the murders take place in a series of fictional towns in a fictional county called Modsomer. I'm mostly putting this in here to make up the word count; it's a very basic premise oft repeated, and if you like the type you'll like this and if you're not a fan of Brit mysteries you'll find it pointless. It's a well-told tale, every time.
  • In the tradition of Agatha Christie, you just need to allow your brain to switch off from the fact of so many murders in such a small remote area of Britain. Great storylines of the whodunnit variety

John Nettles is well suited to the roll of Inspector Barnaby and is ably supported by a cast of fine actors. The story lines are excellent and in most episodes the villain is not obvious until near the end . I would find it hard to select any one episode as my favorite as they all hold your attention throughout. It's just a pity it's on ITV
    as the adverts are most annoying especially those for leedammer(although I suppose its a case of finance) and thats why I have given it 9/10 instead of 10/10 .
  • Really great crime series

This show is really great! I simply love crime series, but this top it all.

We follow Chief Inspector Barnaby as he solves many cases throughout the series, and it's really good. They have the crime aspect all right; nothing wrong with it. And I find it really good, and Im always in a tense mod when I watch this; what will happen next? I jsut can't predict. Which is what makes it so great. Also, it's hard knowing who the real guilty person is, and that is great; because if you easily guess it, it's no real fun at all.

A really great crime series! 9.2/10
  • I'm Asian, my English is terriible and i LIKE this show!!!

Sometimes i don't even understand the words that were coming out of their mouths, but man this is sure one of the most addictive crime solving tv series out there.

The main character Barnaby is just too cool. the plot is simply good. there are times when they revealed the motive of murder(s), i actually thought like " She's your mother, but she deserved that".

But it 's been years since i watched it since they took it out of Hallmark channel. and now there is no more Hall mark in my country, i doubt i could ever watch it again. i can't even find the DVD here. So sad.

PS : i really like the starting music/soundtrack ( or whatever they call it) at the start of the show. So mysterious and creepy.
  • "The Deadliest County in England" is the tagline for "Midsomer Murders" and it's certainly fitting when one considers the number of murders which have taken place since the show first aired in March, 1997 in the United Kingdom.

Based on the series of novels by Caroline Graham, "Midsomer Murders" began in 1997 with John Nettles playing the role of Detective Chief Inspector Tom Barnaby and Daniel Casey as his sidekick, Detective Sergeant Gavin Troy. Midsomer is, at first glance, a perfect, picturesque series of little villages in semi-rural England. Upon closer inspection, however, it's probably the most unsafe place on the entire planet if the body count is to be taken into consideration!

For "Midsomer Murders",one murder per episode is never enough! Two, three or even four is the norm and Barnaby and Troy never seem to get five minutes to themselves because there is always yet another crime scene to trot off too!

Well supported by Barry Jackson (Dr. George Bullard), Jane Wymark (Joyce Barnaby)and Laura Howard (Cully Barnaby), the show has very wide appeal for crime buffs, because, simply put, it's not all that easy to figure out "who done it"! The show really makes you THINK and you have to watch very, very carefully throughout each episode in order to have a hope of figuring out who the culprit is.

John Nettles is perfect in the lead role, the a-typical poilice inspector who refuses to let himself be stumped, no matter how difficult the case may be!

After 29 episodes, the show's fans were saddened when the much-loved Daniel Casey decided to hand in his badge and leave the show. Replaced by John Hopkins as DS Dan Scott, who lasted a relatively short time, before his character 'got sick' (and then never returned!) and then by Jason Hughes as Sergeant Ben Jones, the show continues to be enormously popular. In early 2009,John Nettles announced he was leaving the show. At the time of writing, (August, 2009) no replacement has been announced and speculation is rife about not only who will succeed Nettles, but also whether the show can continue to do well without him. Let's hope it can, because "Midsomer Murders" has class with a capital "C" and it's a must-see for people who enjoy quality drama, great storylines and superb acting. Watch it and see for yourself!
  • Superbly Done

i love this show! the many deaths are a laugh riot and the way village life is shown to be another world full of dark secrets and dirty laundry is fantastic!

John Nettles is brilliant. Barnaby isn't a superior detective like Sherlock Holmes or Miss Marple - he is just a country coper who is thrown into the world of deaths.

however, he is brave, intelligent and wise. the way he solves a crime is great and he's many sidekicks are fun to watch (The best being Troy...)

over all a great show with a decent cast and a decent story. may them continue...
  • Midsomer Murders is a show that takes place in Midsomer County, England. Each week Detective Chief Inspector Tom Barnaby (John Nettles) and his partner/assistant, Detective Sergeant Gavin Troy (Daniel Casey), solve murder cases that take place in Midsomer

This show is a ton of fun. John Nettles is great as DCI Barnaby and he really makes the show along with Daniel Casey as his partner/assistant. Each week a new case comes up and every once in a while I get surprised by whom is behind the crime. The people of Midsomer County bring much flavor to the show.

Several of the guests have been very great and famous British actors such as Gemma Jones, Jonathan Hyde, Imelda Staunton, and several others.
  • Midsomer Murders is a popular British television drama series about murders that take place in the fictional English county of Midsomer. It is based on a series of crime novels by the author Caroline Graham and was originally adapted by Anthony Horowitz.

A detective drama, it focuses on the main character of Detective Chief Inspector Barnaby, played by actor John Nettles (of Bergerac fame) and his efforts to solve the various crimes that afflict Midsomer.

Style

The programme possesses a unique style. It is almost entirely set within the closed, backwards-looking fictional English county of Midsomer. Midsomer is a world whose inhabitants are wealthy, amoral and snobbish eccentrics, often obsessed with the small lives they lead in these isolated communities. This provides for friction between them, which is observed with a self-mocking, sardonic humour.

The show often highlights the fa?║ade put up by people. To the eye, Midsomer is a picturesque, peaceful and prosperous county, but behind the well-trimmed hedgerows and cricket on the village green is a society brimming with all kinds of vice. Barnaby, by contrast, offers a stable homelife and an exceptional morality.

Each story is built up carefully, with underpinning currents and unsolved mysteries adding to the bemusement of the detectives. There are usually false leads, such as those who have committed petty crimes, or harbour some dark secret that they attempt to conceal from the world. Despite the sinister, atmospheric edge that runs through the show, it maintains a constant humour.

One feature of the programme is the large number of deaths, especially considering that Midsomer is a small, rural county. Because of the bizarre nature of the place, this does not seem entirely improbable. The show at times even plays on this lack of realism, with characters often commenting on the astoundingly high numbers of deaths. For example, when he is called to a murder scene on his first day, Detective Sergeant Dan Scott asks, "Is the body count always this high around here?". Barnaby replies dryly, "It's been remarked upon."

Production

First transmitted in the United Kingdom in March 1997, filming is currently underway on the eleventh series of the programme, which will bring the total number of episodes to sixty-six, and a twelfth series commissioned to be filmed in 2008. Viewing figures for the series are healthy, and the feature-length drama attracts a number of actors from the stage and screen in guest-starring roles. The majority of the early episodes were written by Anthony Horowitz, who, with the original producers Betty Willingale and Brian True-May, also created the series. Current writers include Peter J. Hammond, David Hoskins, Douglas Watkinson and Andrew Payne.
  • I'm English, I have lived in a village, and this is definitely a very guilty pleasure.

There is a wonderful scene in which a world weary Barnaby says that he can't stand villages. I have to say I would go along with that. The body count alone would rather put one off.

That aside, this series perfectly captures the many subtle levels of village life, from the curtain twitching to the rivalries. There are times when it does rather overdose on the bucolic detail, but generally the observations are spot on.

The plots and sub plots are generally well worked out, with just enough twist to keep you guessing but not too frustrated through to the end. Well worth a look for the whole package.
  • Best Show Ever!!

I love watching this show, can't get enough of it!
  • Great Show-Those Brits are pretty twisted when it comes to murder!

My sister and I love the Midsomer Murder Series. We have seen most of them and are looking forward to the new episodes. What we love most is that Cully and Joyce have been played by the same actresses. The scenery is a close second. We imagine the beautiful, picturesque countryside in Midsomer is what England looks like--not the barren, dirty streets of London seen in other series such as Murder City or Wire in the Blood. We do have a minor complaint--Barnaby never seems to wear gloves when inspecting a crime scene. He handles all the evidence without compromising the crime scene--Gil Grissom is green with envy!
  • I'm not a big fan of crime dramas - but I gotta say - I love Midsomer Murders.

Midsomer Murders is the only crime drama I will watch on television. I don't care who's in the others, or what's going on, it just never feels as good as Midsomer.

The acting in this particular drama is amazing, with so many famous British lining up to get killed. I'm really not surprised how long Midsomer Murders has lasted - it's a classic and deserves to be rated high. Most of my favourite shows have to be cleverly plotted. All the twists and turns in these scripts make fantastic and compelling viewing. Midsomer Murders really is a must watch program. But surely, after all those deaths, people would have learnt not to live in Midsomer?
  • The main character is Chief Inspector Barnaby. In every episode he solves at least one murder with the help of his Detective Sergeant, his Wife Joyce and daughter Cully.

There are many reasons why you would like this show. The main would be chief inspector Barnaby. He is handsome, smart and funny. And even though he has this gruesome job of finding terrible murderers he still manages to have a great relationship with his family. His wife and daughter always find a way to help him find the guilty party by serving him the local gossip, which the gather by having odd jobs and hobbies around Midsomer.

I prefer Detective Sergeant Troy over Detective Sergeant Scott. Troy is in the first six seasons. But Scott grows on you after a while.

The show is a bit scary at times since the murderers are usually ordinary people. It's frightening to see how easily ones path may cross with one of a ruthless murderer.

The scenery is great. Even though Midsomer seems to be packed with crazy murderers you can't help but wish you lived there.
  • Midsomer murders is a show about the infamous detective Tom Barnaby and his ever-changing side-kicks as they try to solve the mysteries that the rural county that is Midsomer has to tell.

Midsomer murders first aired on British television in 1997 with one of the best episodes to date The Killings at Badger's drift. For a summary of this episode then read 'Tis a pity she's a whore. The episode shows us that sibling rivalry isn't all that is seems.
    The episodes are all set in the rural country og Midsomer. The towns involved have been Badger's drift, Midsomer Mallow, Midsomer Wellow, Midsomer Devrell, Causton, Martyr Warren and about 3 more.
    One thing I should point out is that each episode lasts for 2 hours so you have to have a lot of patience for this. Some episodes are fantastic and I recommend "The Killing's at Badger's drift", "Written in blood", "Death of a hollow man", "Strangler's wood", "Dark Autumn", and "Bad Tidings". Of course, there are plenty of episodes to choose from and I won't go on anymore as it will spoil all the fun. You really have to watch this show-you will not be dissapointed!
  • Midsomer Murders is definitely my favourite TV series

Midsomer Murders is definitely my favourite TV series. There is always a good story, great scenery and some of Britain's finest actors. What more can you want? This is top British quality, and more money is spent on the production of this show than on any other British show. A lot of work is being put into finding really quirky locations for the quirky characters. The show has now been sold to 206 countries around the world, and it looks like we have a lot more episodes to look forward to, as the series will probably go on for another five years, with eight two-hour episodes being made each season. I only hope that John Nettles will see it through to the end. Midsomer Murders without John Nettles wouldn't work!
PBS