Midsomer Murders

Sins of Commission

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Jan 18, 2004 on ITV

• This episode worked for us rather well since it had one huge down and up, with one of "wrinklies" proving to be extremely well versed in self defense.

The key to successful writing of a Barnaby episode is ups and downs throughout a la Horowitz and Russell. This episode worked for us rather well since it had one huge down and up, with one of "wrinklies" proving to be extremely well versed in self defense. A lot of fun at the end. Almost comic relief.The key to successful writing of a Barnaby episode is ups and downs throughout a la Horowitz and Russell. This episode worked for us rather well since it had one huge down and up, with one of "wrinklies" proving to be extremely well versed in self defense. A lot of fun at the end. Almost comic relief.The key to successful writing of a Barnaby episode is ups and downs throughout a la Horowitz and Russell. This episode worked for us rather well since it had one huge down and up, with one of "wrinklies" proving to be extremely well versed in self defense. A lot of fun at the end. Almost comic relief.
  • I really didn't like this episode and, as I have stated in previous reviews, that's very rare for me with such a great series.

2.5
    The Midsomer Literary Festival doesn't get off to a very good start when one of the authors in attendance is murdered. With the Barnabys on the spot, Tom is able to investigate at once and it's quite a complicated case as more people turn up dead and he and Scott have the task of figuring it all out, after all, who would want these particular people dead?

Upon further investigation, the officers find that those in power in the village of Midsomer St. Michael are a very corrupt lot,involved in all sorts of nasty and unpleasant things.

The trouble with this episode is that it's very, very boring. It seems as though the script was thrown together from a series of rejected ones and all the victims are dislikeable enough that it's really hard to care about why they were murdered in the first place.

John Nettles is always terrific, regardless of the quality of the rest of the episode which I suppose is one of the main reasons that the series is in its thirteenth season in 2010, however, I doubt very much whether this particular episode has much to do with the great success of this excellent show. Still, you can't win 'em all.
  • A literary festival is the scene for a series of violent murders, what else could you expect with the Barnaby family in attendance?

When murders occur at the Midsomer Literary Festival, there are a lot of suspects for Barnaby to choose from. Unfortunately, his daughter Cully is going out with one of them, a promising young writer with a violent past. The organisers of the festival are at loggerheads with each other, and the judges keep getting murdered. Meanwhile, Joyce Barnaby is keen to get Tom to sign up for a lucrative publishing deal, he will come up with murders that can be turned into best-selling novels by a ghost writer. Tom is tempted, but does he really want to get involved in the violent world of writers and publishers. won't he be safer just being a policeman?

This is a great episode, with a wonderful twist at the end. One of my very favourites.
  • Midsomer St Michael...3 murders...surely the script is good, right? Wrong! Read and weep :-(

2.5
    Very bad and bizarre episode. The finale is so contrived and utterly boring, that you have no sympathy for the victims nor murderer as the plot is totally silly.

How Stella Gonet got herself mixed-up in this farce is beyond me. Did she read the script or was the entire thing ad-libbed?

The scene where the housekeeper of Ms Gonet's character whacks someone with a frying pan and then announces, 'Call the police.' just fuels the bizarreness of it all. As in: what the bloody hell's going on here? After 1 hour and 30/40 minutes, you're left non the wiser and not caring...