Midsomer Murders

Sins of Commission

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Jan 18, 2004 on ITV

• I really didn't like this episode and, as I have stated in previous reviews, that's very rare for me with such a great series.

2.5
    The Midsomer Literary Festival doesn't get off to a very good start when one of the authors in attendance is murdered. With the Barnabys on the spot, Tom is able to investigate at once and it's quite a complicated case as more people turn up dead and he and Scott have the task of figuring it all out, after all, who would want these particular people dead?

Upon further investigation, the officers find that those in power in the village of Midsomer St. Michael are a very corrupt lot,involved in all sorts of nasty and unpleasant things.

The trouble with this episode is that it's very, very boring. It seems as though the script was thrown together from a series of rejected ones and all the victims are dislikeable enough that it's really hard to care about why they were murdered in the first place.

John Nettles is always terrific, regardless of the quality of the rest of the episode which I suppose is one of the main reasons that the series is in its thirteenth season in 2010, however, I doubt very much whether this particular episode has much to do with the great success of this excellent show. Still, you can't win 'em all.
PBS