Mighty Max

(ended 1994)

Gino24

Mighty Max Fan Reviews (12)

• Max, a teenager chosen to save the world reluctantly accepts his fate as legendary hero. Accompanied by his mentor, Virgil, and boyguard, Norman, he journeys around the globe by means of a mystic baseball cap, fights all sorts of evil, and learns genuine

Terrific cartoon loosely based on the toy series of the same name. Far more than just a marketing device, Mighty Max was well written and had endearing characters, ambitious story lines, and often funny character-driven dialogue. the show's short but meaningful run gained it a fan following but as of yet has not been released on DVD. Mighty Max seperated itself from less inspired series with it's excellent character dynamic, wherein three equally likable heroes conquered evil united by mutual friendship and responsibility. Unlike many cartoons that attempt to teach the same lessons over and over again in corny, preachy 'special episodes', Mighty Max presented a well written and surprisingly cohesive story and allowed children to find the message on their own instead of being blugeoned with it. It showed that people don't have to be alike or share much in common in order to like one another and make a difference. Each episode was genuinely entertaining and the true series finale was revelutionary for a children's show. In it Norman and Virgil sacrifice themselves in order to save Max's life and urge him to run away from his problems and forget about them. His archnemesis further insists that everything is foredestined to occur and nothing he can do can change his fate. Instead of shirking his responsibilies to his friends and taking the easy way out, he confronts his fears head on and amazingly changes the socalled 'inevitable'. This subtle episode speaks much more for the qualities of faithfulness, dedication, bravery, and integrity than many many tasteless lectures.
  • A surprisingly cool story for a so-so toyline.

I don't rememebr why I started watching this show. Maybe I was bored. I thought the toy was below average. I was utterly shocked by the writing though. It was totally unique and oriignal and for the most part had a continued story from episode to episode. It had all sorts of monsters that most shows wouldn't even try to show and even had a bit of violence that was surprising for a kids show (Ripping Grendel of Beowulf fame's arm off)

I'd love to see it come out on DVD.
  • A Childhood Show That Still Lives on Today.

This show was a show of my childhood that I would get up early on weekday mornings before school to see. I enjoyed the story line and the characters, the mix of funniness and adventure all in one. I especially liked that this show didn't mind getting its hands dirty...unlike some shows today. When a villian or a hapless victim disappeared, they were really dead. Max wasn't afraid to kill, and Norman was cool in always wanting to fight. The villians were cool for this show as well, not plasticy or holding back. Some of them were really out of their minds, like Dr. Bob and Freako, and some were just plain murderous like Skullmaster. You see Max throughout the series learning piece by piece about heroism. He bares a magical cap, but it's really his own bravery and ingenuity that saves the day. He learns a lot of subtle lessons which lead to the final battle in the end.

Then Max found the strength to do what all heroes would do. He was willing to sacrifice his life to save the world, and he ended up rewinding time to the very beginning, and the show Mighty Max starts all over again with a little deja vu for all characters included!

Everything was awesome, and an excellent end to an excellent series.
  • Childhood favorite

Mighty Max,which based off of the Mighty Max toys, is about a kid named Max, who with the help of Virgil and Norman, travel to different worlds via portals created by Max's cap, try to stop the evil Skull Master, from taking over the world.

I remember watching this show when I was younger, I loved Mighty Max, and I loved the toys, I always though it was funny when Max kept calling Vigil a chicken when he was a foul, and the different areas that portals would appear.

I miss this show, and I wish it would have had a longer run, but even in its short run it was still a great show and will always be a classic to me.
  • One of my favorite shows ever. Love the characters, the plot, and the voice acting. Where can get I get this show? When will the air it again? Why isn't it out on DVD?

I know I'm and old man now, but geez this show as good. I use to wake up early just to watch it, then off to school. Anyways, Virgil was just the most awesome chicken character ever created. He and Norman made a great team. Episodes with the Skull Master were the best, because they progressed the story. The only thing I didn't like about the show was how stupid Skull Master looked when he finally wore the cap. Geez, I'm sure they could of done something to make him look less stupid when he work it. Oh wellz. Tell me where I can watch/download/buy this great show!!!
  • An excellent show that lagged a bit mid-way through its run, but was nonetheless top notch.

Mighty Max was a 40 episode cartoon series that was inspired by an interesting toy line. The toys themselves involved small figures (about a centimeter high generally) that fit into a case generally shaped like a monster (a few inches long and wide) that featured a mini-setup inside for the various figurines.

The toy line was so-so, but the show used to promote it was definately top notch. Similar in some respects to 'Jonny Quest,' 'Mighty Max' revolved around "the chosen one," the titular character, and his various adventures and attempts to save the world and, ultimately, fulfill his destiny and defeat the immortal villan Skull Master. He was joined by Virgil, an ancient (chicken) sage, and Norman, a bruiser previously known as both Thor and Samson. Max also was occaisionally joined by his mom and friends Bea and Felix.

Far more supernatural then 'Jonny Quest,' the first season of the series focused on the seeming inevitability of fate. Eventually this would develop into a mix of fate and free will, a major theme that was reduced in effect at the beginning of the second season with a change of writers. Thankfully the second half of the second season returned to the darker roots of the series. Several new villans, such as Doctor Zygote and Cyberskull, were excellent additions to the show.

While there were some pretty poor episodes ('Rumble in the Jungle' and 'Clown Without Pity' come to mind), overall the series is excellent. The finale as well is so-so, but the rest of the series is what truly makes this series so great.
  • Live adventures with the chosen one, and find yourself in the middle of monsters and other creatures, while saving the world with Max, Virgil and Norman.

This is probably one of the most exiciting and imaginative shows ever done in the 90's. The show tells us the story of a kid named Max, who happens to be chosen by a red cap, and turns himself into the "Chosen One", the only one who can save the Earth from all kinds evil. Accompanied by their friends Virgil, a talking fowl and Norman, an immortal swordsman who loves a good fight, Max travels the world trying to save it, while also solving mysteries. The plot of the series was rather simple, but very cool. The animation was fluid, and the music itself was just the icing on top of the cake. Plus, the voice cast included actors like Frank Welker, Tim Curry, Kath Soucie, Rob Paulsen and others.

A definite must for all of those who love great stories and shows about mystery and supense.
  • A lost classic!

Mighty Max was my favourite television show when I was a kid and I still hold it to be one of the best written cartoons ever made. For it’s 6:30 AM weekday timeslot on Fox Kids, it was sophisticated, thrilling and funny. The concept of travelling the all over the world to fight evil just works. I always thought, even at five years old, how convenient for the Power Rangers that the monsters only attack Angel Grove, which is only a small US city, when they could go anywhere they want. With ‘Mighty Max’, it’s all about travelling to save the world, but how the mysterious and wise Virgil knows all of this is left a mystery until the season finale. The three main characters are excellently performed and written, in fact the same goes for the villainous Skull Master, heck, every character on the show with the exception of maybe Ernie. Although there were a few TERRIBLE stereotypes, (Foggy, Victorian London…in 1993??) the show was far more culturally and geographically minded than the other offerings of the time, as demonstrated by the after show facts told by Max about the country visited that episode. These didn’t feel tacked on, they were genuinely interesting and informative. In closing, I’d like to say I just love Norman, seriously one of my favourite characters of anything ever. He was Thor AND Hercules, was part of the centre court of Camelot…the guy’s been around but has such a great presence. There were only 2 seasons of this terrific show, now if only they’d put it back on TV/ release it on DVD!
  • Watched it everyday before school.

I loved this show. I haven\'t seen it in years, but I watched it every morning before school. I need to find out where I can get some episodes. Thanks god for the internet is all I can say.

I remember bits and pieces of the show, but nothing really sticks. I\'m going to read some episode summaries to refresh my memory.
  • Great Show when it came out I was just retiring from the Corps.

To bad there are people that take advantage of fans and setup sites to take our money. I had found one such site and ordered a DVD copy (2) discs both seasons and I havent gotten a thing. Now I am waiting for my cc bill so that I can find them. Where is Norman when you need him.
  • Strangely captivating.

For a show that really, well, sounds pretty awful on the surface of things, I always found Mighty Max strangely captivating.

Why?

Well, I tried to break it down. I decided that since--in the end count--the show makers were simply out to market a toy line, they designed the show by committee, as it were, to be archetypally appealing.

How?

Well, I actually broke it down in a Freudian/Jungian sense once, many moons ago. It went something like this: Virgil is the superego, the brainy but ineffectual and preachy overself. Norman is the id, this muscly mass of power and aggression. And Max is the ego, you, as it were.

He pops on the hat, which is his persona (Lat. "mask"), and fights Skullmaster, the ultimate shadow archetype. And there ya have it.
  • Is Max the mighty one? Did Skullmaster take Max? Max's friends are saving Max from Skullmaster. Were Max and his friends defeating the evil Skullmaster? I will like Mighty Max. I'm great. Wow! Max is cool. Skullmaster took Max. Is Skullmaster getting Max

I'm great. Is Max the mighty one? Did Skullmaster take Max? Max's friends were saving Max from Skullmaster. Are Max and his friends defeating the evil Skullmaster? Wow! Max is cool. I will like Mighty Max. Skullmaster took Max. Is Skullmaster getting Max and Max's cap? I'll love Mighty Max!