Mighty Max

The Axeman Cometh

Aired Unknown Sep 23, 1994 on

• Lumberjacks free the demon of violence when they cut down a tree, and Max has to find a way to keep Norman from submitting to wanton violence while trying to trap it again.

Again, Mighty Max defies expectations at every turn. All throughout the episode we see a forest being laid to waste in the name of progress, and we keep expecting that to be the problem Our Heroes are trying to prevent, but instead they face the problem of being desensitized to violence. Max learns that the Hollywood portrayal of violence is different from what it is in the real world, and Norman learns that there are some problems even his strength cannot get rid of. Kind of scary for little kids, but man it'll make 'em think.
  • The greatest moment in Mighty Max.

I love this episode, and it includes what may be the greatest moment in Mighty Max. Norman walks into a dark cabin and finds the body of a young woman, leaves and shuts the door. When Max protests not being able to see, Virgil says

"This is real, and real violence has real consequnces!"

which is a powerful stance for a childrens show in the era of Power Rangers and the Ninja Turtles. Its always nice to see some of Norman's back story and the concept of Lockyar is great. The suggested violence is horific (Eg. The loggers killed with a chainsaw), so my only real critism is by the end Max seems to have learned little, and the deaths of at least three people are forgotten.