Mike & Molly

'57 Chevy Bel Air

Aired Monday 8:30 PM Oct 17, 2011 on CBS

• Run, Mike, Run!

2.5

This started out to be a reasonably good episode. Mike and Molly have started planning for their wedding, and they start discussing combining their finances, and determining what their financial goals are. Mike is distracted from this by a vintage 1957 Chevy Bel Air that Vince is trying to sell to him. Molly is against the idea of Mike buying the car, saying that now that they are getting married, they should consider their combined assets as belonging to both of them, and that they need to keep the money for the upcoming wedding and future expenses.

Mike falls in love with the car, and is determined to convince Molly to approve him purchasing the car. After taking a drive in the Chevy, Molly is ready to change her mind, but becomes angry when she finds out that Mike has already bought the car behind her back.

As it turns out, the car is a lemon, with a leaky gas tank and leaking exhaust into the car's interior, and multiple mechanical problems. Mike ends up selling the car back to Vince, taking a financial loss.

At this point, the episode falls apart. Mike and Molly compare their financial assets. We find that Mike, contrary to what we have been led to believe, is actually quite thrifty and has substantial funds in his checking and savings accounts. Molly turns out to be a profligate spender, having spent her income to travel, plus running up $17,000 in credit card debt. When Mike incredulously asks, "You have $17,000 in credit card debt?", Molly simpers "No, we have $17,000 in credit card debt."

Chuck Lorre produces some very funny sitcoms, but he seems to care little about a show's internal consistency and continuity. Nothing in the previous episodes has given us reason to believe that Molly would be this irresponsible with her finances. I could believe that she might have preferred to use her money to travel rather than save, but running up a very large credit card debt contradicts everything we have learned so far about Molly. Not only that, she appears to be a huge hypocrite for criticizing Mike for wanting to buy a car he loves when she has gone into debt buying what she wanted.

If Mike were smart, he was be out of there. Financial problems are a leading cause of marriages breaking up, and nothing causes financial problems quicker than having a couple having contradictory ideas about how to handle money. Of course, this is a sitcom, not real life, but the episode makes Molly look like a immature, irresponsible person, contrary to what we have been shown for more than a season.

• Car trouble.

I must say I was pleasantly surprised with this episode. I love it when Mike and Molly argue, their fights are always hilarious and I always know they'll get back together. This time, it was all because of a car, and it brought up quite a lot of laughs.

Anything that had to do with the car and the boundaries in their relationship was funny. (Or maybe I was just in a very good mood while watching this?)

The most notable thing was the return of Grandma (her first episode this season, I believe). Even though she has only a scene in most her episodes, she is always hilarious in them. This was one of her best ones so far.

Really, the episode didn't disappoint me one bit; I hope they keep it up.