Millennium

A Room with No View

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Apr 24, 1998 on FOX

• The demonic Lucy Butler returns, this time kidnapping youths and taking them to a rural farmhouse for reasons unknown. She demands total obedience from her victims, the alternative being death...

Frank is asked to investigate a murder, the culprit assumed to be the young man's disappeared roommate. He then realises the roommate has been abducted, but by whom? We soon find out the abductor is Lucy Butler, who has an entire farmhouse full of missing young men. She also has a vicious dog to keep them in line, and a mysterious accomplice...or is it Lucy's "other" personality? Frank and Peter race to find the abductee.
    At last, the return of Lucy Butler, wonderfully played by the angelic-looking Sarah-Jane Redmond. She has a basement full of victims, explaining to them the value of being ordinary, while the same horrid Muzak track plays over and over at deafening volume-a great, memorable touch.Unfortunately we're still none the wiser about who or what Lucy is, and perhaps they've left it to us to make up our own minds. It's a tense episode, and Lucy makes a great arch-villain for Frank, but a little more information about Lucy and her motivations would have been appreciated. Still, a handsomely produced, intelligent offering.