Millennium

Borrowed Time

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Jan 15, 1999 on FOX

• I'm not sure what everyone else saw in this episode, but it's a prime example of the show's season three decline.

I'm not a stranger to abstractions and filling-in-the-blanks, but this episode really left me scratching my head and wondering where the rest of the story was. INLAND EMPIRE made more sense than this mess of poor scripting and editing. Was the brilliant "The Time is Now" really only ten episodes ago? To fall so far in such a short time!

Exactly who was this bad guy, this killer, and where did he get his absurd power? Could he use his power for good, such as irrigating the desert? If he could disappear with the blink of an eye, then why didn't he disappear from the wrecked train and not drown? Meanwhile, Frank Black breaks character--he's not the same guy who killed his wife's abuser, now he's a guy who begs and doesn't really know what to do. Prayer is all Black has left, and perhaps he should say a prayer for the people who created this episode too.

The pacing of the episode is absolutely tedious. After seeing the train wreck sequence as the opening teaser, we get to see the whole thing again near the end. Yet, we still have no answers about what's going on in the sequence, it's still just as baffling as when we first saw it. I can't begin to list all of the questions a reasonable viewer might have the about the people and events involved, or even why the sequence has anything to do with the story except as a device to get rid of the bad guy.

To make things even more surreal, Amanda Tapping's appearance just isn't right--it just seems to be a whim that's she's here doing a Dr. Samantha Carter thing.

All in all, this was certainly one of the worst episodes of Millennium that was ever made, mostly because of the half-finished, unworthy script...and the poor episode construction/editing makes it even worse. This is a true stinker on so many levels, and I would have never watched the show if more episodes had been this bad.