Millennium

Borrowed Time

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Jan 15, 1999 on FOX

• This is the greatest piece of episodic television ever. Period.

“Borrowed Time” has to be seen to be believed. I won’t describe it’s story here, as it’s not necessary. What is necessary is that you must watch this episode if you are even remotely familiar with the journey of Frank Black. “Pivotal” was the classification I chose for this episode because it’s the closest thing they have listed to “perfect”. I know how many people would use “perfect”, so I understand it’s not being implemented, but I should really ask for an exception in this case. “Borrowed Time” is perfect. It is the best episode of Millennium ever, which as it is, is my favorite show ever, and either way, the best episode of television period.

Emotionally charged and draining, “Borrowed Time” is crafted with such beauty and scope I would have never believed it aired with commercial breaks on a channel as wretched as FOX. Everything that’s great about Millennium is here. It’s a character piece, a spiritual metaphor, a surrealistic painting. It’s power is unmatched. I could literally not breathe during some of these scenes. Following Millennium for two and a half seasons would have you believe you had seen everything, but you haven’t seen anything like “Borrowed Time”. Every part of Millennium that flirted with the strange, the real, and the human, is accentuated here to a degree that will tear at your heart many times throughout it’s run. It’s hard to imagine after the fact that it was only forty-five minutes.

“Lamentation” broke barriers, “Midnight of the Century” showed a remarkable depth of character, and “Luminary” was a majestic piece of filmmaking. “Borrowed Time” is all of this and more. I can’t say enough good things about Lance Henriksen’s acting on Millennium, but here he deserves more praise than I could ever give him. Haunting, devastating, uplifting - “Borrowed Time” makes the greatest films look tame in comparison. Perfection. If the other great episodes of Millennium were art in television, then “Borrowed Time” is the Sistine Chapel. Other than this, I am lost for words. I encourage everyone to take a chance and watch Millennium whenever they get a chance, but if only to experience “Borrowed Time”, it is worth all of your time and the money you spend on box sets. If you can grasp this kind of depth, it is worth everything.