Millennium

Kingdom Come

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Nov 29, 1996 on FOX

7.9
  • A priest is burned to death in ritual heretic killing style similar to killings done historically to non-believers. Frank is brought in when it seems to be similar to a serial killer that committed similar murders a few years before.

A difficult case as we were trying to figure out what the connection was to the different murders. Frank is brought in to see if they can tie everything together.

Things became a little more difficult when the second victim this time around was a Presbyterian Minister who was retired. In the past the murder victims had all been Catholic. There were a few ties in the murder which brought them together. The style in which it was done being straight out of the same set of guides used to deal historically with heretics. Also the victim had been rendered immobile with a blow to the head then killed in the ritualistic style chosen.

The key to Frank eventually stopping him was in the fact that the killer still had faith and was afraid to die because he knew he was going to be judged. How twisted he became over the loss of his wife and child in the fire to strike out at anyone that had helped his families faith during their life. To somehow reason out in his mind that they were all culpable in their deaths and that they must no longer have faith because of it. To punish them for his grief!

The final scene was crazy how Frank walked in and put himself in harms way, but I think that is one of the charms of this show. Frank does what he has to get things done and he didn't see a better way of dealing with it.

Did the killer shoot himself in the end? I personally heard the weapon discharge but I saw the man being arrested a moment later. Strange. I was watching with another person who saw the same thing. Maybe it was bad editing. Not sure.

Pretty consistent and the murders were gruesome especially the first with the fire. Another decent episode in general. Thanks for reading...
  • Faith/Off

6.8
    Neither overly sentimental or metaphor-heavy, Kingdom Come wasn't that great an episode when taken on face value but, if you look a little deeper, was one of the most original and interesting episodes so far.

We discover in this episode that Frank has renounced any type of religious activity in his life, raising Jordan without faith. While investigating Calloway's crimes, Frank almost regains his faith... in faith. Eventually theorizing that Calloway has, all along, maintained his faith in God, Frank believes that helping him embrace his faith will end his cycle of madness. Unfortunately, this turns out to not be the case. It's definitely an intriguing plot twist and successfully brings up the issue of mankind's lack of faith, and what could happen if we all embraced it once in a while.

While the episode had an intriguing principal idea, the script let it down. The dialogue seemed clunky and, worst of all, the entire hour was littered with conveniences and gaping leaps in logic. For instance, Jill Harned is completely okay with letting a strange man into her home before rushing out, leaving her 60-something husband alone with somebody she's never met and knows nothing about. It was scenes like this that generally screwed up the script, giving you the impression that the writer had a series of interesting ideas, but tied them all together with unbelievable plot twists.

One point of interest in this episode was the working relationship between Frank Black and his Millennium Group consultant Ardis Cohen. I was more convinced by this relationship than I was with Frank and Peter Watts and it was disappointing to discover that she would never re-appear on the show. Lindsay Crouse is a welcome addition to the series and it was a missed opportunity to not pursue her for more episodes.

Director: Winrich Kolbe