Millennium

The Innocents (1)

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Oct 02, 1998 on FOX

7.6
  • Frank experiences visions of a plane crash and believes it is connected to the viral outbreak that swept across the country killing seventy people including his wife, Catherine.

Although this episode isn't as good as the pilot episode or the Season 2 premiere, it was still VERY good. It debuts the newer characters of the show such as Agents Emma Hollis and Barry Baldwin. The plane crash in the episode is also a good element, especially with the ongoing possibility of someone going to get killed than most other episodes. You just don't know what is going to happen, which is actually quite intensifying. When watching this episode, it is good to be a big Millennium premiere, as well as a season. But we can tell this only the beginning, and definitely, most definitely, the time is near for Frank Black.
  • The beginning of the end...

5.6
    With this episode, the third season began, and "Millennium" began a downward spiral from which it never truly recovered.

All of the mythology that had been built in Season 2 (in my opinion, the best of the series and a great foundation for a multiple-season run) was tossed out the window. The show was reinvented as a slightly-paranormal, mostly pedestrian crime drama set out of the FBI and reducing Frank Black to an apparent madman.

I don't fault the writers for the shift of the Millennium Group. It had been hinted at in Season 2 ("Owls"/"Roosters"), but to make Peter Watts into a villain was too much. I would have preferred Frank and Peter working against the factions of the Group. Instead, Watts became a sinister figure, always lurking in the shadows to keep Frank from finding the truth.

I never warmed up to Emma Hollis, and it's not Klea Scott's fault. The character was just too bland and undeveloped. She's immediately drawn to Frank and hangs on his every word...but why? The writers don't explain enough about her, so she sadly becomes "the woman partner," something that never happened to Lara Means in Season 2. The plot of this one? Somehow connected to the virus from last season...I think the writers were just desperate to jettison any remnants of Season 2 and settle in to their own stories. The result is that "The Innocents" is slapdash and confusing.

It's not all bad, though. I like Andy McClaren and Barry Baldwin, but they did not fit with the tone of the show. Chris Carter and co. might have been better off importing these characters to "X-Files," and kept "Millennium" as it was.
  • The episode that broke the viewers' back...

This is the episode where it\'s confirmed that the show is going downhill. It was getting worse and worse slowly ever since it became known that Megan Gallagher wanted to leave. Introducing Klea Scott didn\'t add much to save the show. I still love it but it lost some edge.