A Mind Games Community
ABC (ended 2014)

This isn't exactly what I'd call a fair swap: ABC has scheduled the upcoming third season of Celebrity Wife Swap for Tuesdays at 10pm—the time slot that currently belongs to Mind Games. In the meantime, the network has pulled the Kyle Killen drama from its schedule after five low-rated episodes, effective immediately, and will air Resurrection repeats for the next two weeks before Celebrity Wife Swap debuts on April 15. 

Poor Kyle Killen; this is three canceled series in a row for him. But hey, at least Mind Games lasted longer than his first show, Lone Star, which was pulled after two episodes despite earning plenty of critical acclaim. (Killen's second show, the also critically acclaimed Awake on NBC, was canceled after 11 episodes but got to finish out its 13-episode season.) I like Mind Games enough to be disappointed in this decision, but I like all of Killen's shows. Keep trying this TV thing, Kyle, you're one of the good ones! But maybe do a cable series next. 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/10/2015

Season 1 : Episode 13

75 Comments
Comments (75)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
More proof that the "high paid tv execs are MORONS.
Flag
I liked MInd Games a lot -- I was actually looking forward to see the plot develop ... @Kyle Killen -- please try to get a different network to buy into your show! :) xxx
Flag
Well, Mind Games was AWFUL. Who allowed writing like this to be aired on TV. Embarassing.
Flag
Once again it's great to see quality swapped for crap...not!

Flag
Kyle Killen should bring back Awake on Netflix or something.
Flag
I knew this show will be canceled after few episodes, the story did not make any sense and totally stupide, thank God I did not watch all the episodes....
Flag
As expected, thank god I did not start. I like Christian Slater in the movies, he should just make movies.
Flag
not happy about this
Flag
NOOO!! I liked Mind Games! :-(.
Flag
Damn it, I actually like this show! Wife Swap is trash and I will never watch it.
Flag
I watched the pilot and wasn't impressed. It's a scenario that's been repeated way too often in modern television. Slater and Zahn are great, this just isn't the best use of their time.
Flag
I've decided to not start a new show until it's late in its 2nd season or even at the start of its 3rd. With these nonstop axes, it's not worth starting a new series. You get invested and it just gets canned.
Flag
Word
Flag
NNNooo!! That was actually a pretty decent show. I was really enjoying it. Now it's replaced by a show I don't even care about. Well, on a bright side, no more conflicts with my DVR. Sigh, another one - unfortunately - bites the dust. Someday guys, someday...
Flag
Didn't watch Mind Games, but was a big fan of Awake. It's the problem with following a show on network TV. Doesn't matter how good it is, if the show doesn't get numbers and buzz right out of the gate, the threat to pull it heats up, once that happens, no one wants to invest in watching it. sad cycle.
Flag
Great. Replace an abysmal scripted show with an abysmal reality show. The only losers in the equation are the viewers.
Flag
I wasn't suprised at all considering combination of two most cancelled TV people - Killen and Slater. You couldnt make up something like this. Killen had two cancelled shows and still went with Slater whose TV gigs are getting cancelled every year. What was he thinking? Poor Slater is like a bad sign for showrunners. His show was cancelled TWICE!
Also Mind Games was weird show with over acting Steve Zahn and with overcomplicated farfetched premise. After pilot I wasnt sure what was all about.
Flag
You hit the nail right on the head! The overacting was grating on my nerves. I wanted to punchout his lights....up till I stopped watching the show.
Flag
Not really surprised but dissapointed by the ABC executives. They killed the show. Killen is one of the good one. Just make a cable show, man!
Flag
Not at all surprised by this, and not only because of the duo of Killen and Slater. While I like the show enough, it just really didn't seem like the kind of show that would draw in audiences.

I really like the premise... but...

I could have done with less (or none of the) "I paid a girl to be with my brother and break up with him so that he could come work with me but she's now back because she fell in love with him" drama.

Also, while Steve Zahn is great and portrayed his character well, I also probably could've done with less of his out-of-control craziness. It was a concern I brought up after the first episode, and the most recent episode just gave me a migraine because of it. Most people probably don't mind it as much as I do... but some probably do.
Flag
Mind Games was just strange.
Flag
This was one of my favourite new shows of 2014, it was great, so I'm not surprised it was cancelled. Kyle Killen definitely needs to start creating shows for a cable channel, the guy is a fantastic writer but he's too smart for the big 4 networks.
Flag
my reasons for cancellation;
1) its always cheaper to air mindless crap
2) the show tried to use too many big words; its not that the audience is dumb (though the networks will sometimes draw that conclusion), its just that sometimes we don't need a big explanation of some types of manipulation
3) the curse of Christian Slater, which is a shame because, like Breaking In, he brings that element of uncertainty and superiority (he was very Jedi-like in Breaking In) which few people can pull off - see James Spader in the Blacklist.
Flag
4) It aired on Big 3 Network TV. Fox and CW aren't afraid to occasionally air shows with big words, but they'll typically cancel them after a little longer. Cable networks, not a problem with big words.
Flag
He somehow got Breaking In back on tv only to crash all that was good about the series and added 2 of the worst characters in the history of TV!
Flag
Yeah season 2 was pretty bad, even with the return of Mel after she returned from filming House. I'm not a fan of Megan Mullaly (spelling?) but the British girl was alright.
Flag
I liked Erin Richards better than Odette Annable. But season 2 was an abomination. It will forever be known as the perfect example of how you don't fix a show in trouble. I mean, what idiot came up with the idea to replace Michael Rosenbaum with Megan Mullally?
Flag
And the Christian Slater curse strikes again...
Flag
Was a decent show, not great but decent, sick of TV networks pulling this crap, think they should be obliged to air a full season of shows and only cancel it midseason if need be.
Flag
Well, as long as you keep in mind that Killen don't mind a cancellation, i guess it is more poor us who liked the show. But then again, it is exciting to see what Kyle Killen is doing next.
Flag
ABC screwed up "Killer Women"'s episode order and pulled it off 2 weeks early to slot "Mind Games" in. Nope, I can't say I'm too gutted about it.
Flag
As a fan of Leverage, and Nat Geo's Brain Games, this show was really starting to appeal to me. Using the very real brain manipulation techniques seen in Brain Games, the team pulled off some Leverage style cons, to help people in need. The show tried to anchor itself in real phenomena, like Asymmetric Dominance and Apophenia, and provided a bit of a primer in brain science each episode. Even its treatment of Clark's bipolar behavior, while sometimes difficult to watch, was reasonably accurate.

And this, I believe, is why the show failed. Dumb shows are easy to watch. Shows that need you to think a bit aren't. The character development would have caught up eventually, and made the show more watchable for the masses, but the masses rarely give a show the time. They want something they instantly recognize and relate to, or they change the channel. Too bad the creators, who seemed to have other aspects of human psychology figured out, didn't factor this in when setting up the first few episodes. I hope the masses are happier with Celebrity Wife Swap.
Flag
Any chance of the remaining episodes being aired as happened when Zero Hour and Do No Harm were cancelled ?
OK Mind Games wasn't as good as Awake or Lone Star but still better than 90% of the dross on TV.
Flag
I've only seen the first two episodes but i thought it was a very entertaining and smart show.
I know that Zahn's performance and sometimes Slater's have beeen a little too intense, and maybe they overdid the science talk, but i really enjoyed it
One thing that bug me from the beggining was that this show was saying in no subtle way "most people are dumb" and we (the characters and creators) are much more intellingent, so much that we can tell how stupid people are to their faces and they won't even notice. hat was not cool, for all the people out there who didn't get it...
Flag
Ah well, I guess this means we'll never get to see it on the networks here in Australia. Was looking forward to it. I like Zahn playing a manic character with 'issues'. But, good or bad, surely the answer isn't to simply fill the void with 'reality' garbage. That's worse than leaving a mediocre show on. At least mediocre shows have room for improvement. 'Reality' crap has no room for improvement at all. Can't be improved on. Just dumped from the very fabric of the multiverse like the putrifying garbage that it is. Here's an idea, networks. Howabout not relying so much on the 'reality' shit, do some actual original shows. Take a chance on real television, not 'reality' television.
Flag
This show was... interesting.

But the scenes where Clark was manic were incredibly uncomfortable, albeit realistic, particularly in the most recent episode
Flag
I really liked mind games. It was a better version of Lie to Me
Flag
All the good shows will eventually be on cable and the internet. Major networks will be full of weaksauce family shows and reality shows,
Flag
Sorry to hear:/
I really like Mind Games.
Flag
Aw man, why did you have to bring up Awake? I really had high hopes for that show.
Flag
Would everybody just quit casting Slater? Pretty please? Not only is he a show curse, he's a one-note actor whose acting hasn't changed appreciatively since Heathers.
Flag
Glad the show was cancelled. Too much shouting and craziness ruined th plots.
Flag
Why did it take ABC until the 5th episode of the lowest rated show on ABC this season before they pulled it. CBS would have canceled after the pilot.
Flag
3 strikes and out. He's probably better at ideas than execution, so should find a partner(s) who can take what he creates and better develop them. I've only seen Awake and thought it flawed and dull, but the concept was interesting. I was gonna try Mind Games, but had no room in my schedule to watch and saw the low ratings and thought, "why bother?". Glad I didn't waste my time.
Flag
It's really odd and not fair. Awake was an amazing show -- but the idea probably only deserved a single season. I don't think it could have worked for much longer.

I never watched Lone Star, so I can't comment.

Mind Games was a very interesting concept done REASONABLY well. It's certainly better than a lot of shows that are still on.

So, count me as one who hopes Kyle gets more chances. I believe his work proves his talent.
Flag
What's mind games? (That kinda shows how big the show really was...but seriously, I never heard of the show til now...) although it being a Kyle killen show maybe showed it coming, didn't his other shows bomb recently?
Flag
I've heard of it, but I never heard anything that made me think about watching it. I wasn't even that big a fan of Awake. There was too much case of the week stuff, and it really bugged me that he didn't try to find out if one of the worlds was real.
Flag
I liked the idea of awake and wanted to watch it more but never could get to it, that one being cancelled bummed me out a little
Flag
the show fluctuated between terrible and mediocre at best. I will be disappointed by the lack of jamie ray and megalyn on my tv screen though. and really christian slater was in fine form as always but they made his character a jerk, zahn was obnoxious more often than not and there wasn't a solid relationship to be had.

fine premise but the execution was poor and reeked of the psychological equivalent of technological, automotive or financial babble.
Flag
I have been watching all episodes so far because I really like the concept, but I totally understand why other people would not like the show. And it has a lot to do with the constant shouting and frustrating things that Steve Zahn's character do. It seems like they aren't even going to let it end properly. I really have to stop watching these new hopeless shows from the get-go because it only leads to unfinished stories and disappointed.
Flag
Couldn't make it past the first five minutes of this crap. Liked Lone Star and Awake just fine, though. Don't let the door hitcha Mind Games.
Flag
Christian Slater just can't catch a break…!? :-/
Is he gunning for Summer Glau's record…?!
Flag
And yes, let's replace all scripted shows with more "reality" crap like Wife Swap, please…! &:(
Flag
hate hate hate "reality" shows. Lindsey Lohan? Please.......
Flag
Aw, I was just thinking how much I like this show and the dynamic.
Flag
Watched the pilot, didn't like it at all, it was, as I commented on Hulu, a mediocre Leverage.
Flag
I didn't like the show. I WANTED to, since it was shot in Chicago, but it was dull and the schemes kept fallin apart at the end. It tried to be too much like Leverage, but whereas the characters on Leverage dealt with ruining genuinely bad people to help the people they screwed over, the targets of Mind Games were pretty decent people that needed to have their decisions altered to suit their clients wants. It felt kind of sleazy, to be honest.
Flag
I really liked it. I have liked most of the stuff Slater has been in. It would be nice for one of his shows to work out. And I love Steve Zahn
Flag
"My Own Worst Enemy" was such a fun and original shown, I was so angry when it for axed…! :(
Flag
Breaking in was my personal favorite of the short lived Christian Slater shows.
Flag
Loved Breaking In.
Flag
Well, until Megan Mullally.
Flag
Damn. Was kind of liking Mind Games. Like Zahn and Slater.
Flag
His first mistake was casting Christian Slater. That guy just can't win in this TV thing. Besides, his character wasn't that great. The rest of the group was fine without him and the chick playing his ex wife.

I liked the show and I'll miss it. It was very entertaining.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members