A Mind Games Community
ABC (ended 2014)

You may still be catching up on the overflowing cornucopia of fall television, but did you know that the midseason is literally right around the corner wearing a ski mask and waiting to bonk you over the head with even more new shows? It's true. 

And to aptly prepare you for the upcoming mugging, ABC has announced its midseason plans, including premiere dates for three brand-new series—Kyle Killen's Mind Games, Tricia Helfer as a spicy Marshal in Killer Women, and the not-quite-zombie drama Resurrection—as well as a return date for Suburgatory

The new year will also bring about a time change for Revenge, which will slide back an hour to 10pm in an attempt to give new series Resurrection a bigger audience. ABC says it wants to make the evening flow more smoothly, but I'm not sure that a fantasy genre show (Once Upon a Time) and then a heavy dead-people-come-back-to-life existential drama (Resurrection) and then some extra soapy twists (Revenge) make up my idea of good flow. But is there any possible good flow to that trio?

Also of note is the premiere of Mixology, a comedy that concurrently follows the lives of several bar patrons over the course of one night. After Super Fun Night finishes its season, Mixology will move in behind Modern Family on Wednesdays at 9:30pm—a time slot that's widely considered to be one of television's best. That means ABC still isn't moving Trophy Wife (which currently airs on Tuesdays) behind ModFam where it belongs. Instead, TV's biggest family comedy will be followed by a bunch of drunk single people trying to get laid. Is ABC asleep or just stupid? 

But the biggest bummer in all of this is the delay of The Quest, the network's forthcoming LARPing extravaganza that takes the rules of The Amazing Race and applies them to a set that's straight out of Dungeons & Dragons. Damn! I really want to see this. The Quest has been pushed back to summer, where it probably belongs, honestly.

Elsewhere, The Taste (surprisingly) returns for a second season, expanding to two hours and airing on Thursdays along with a new drama called The Assets, while Once Upon a Time in WonderlandGrey's Anatomy, and Scandal take extra-long winter breaks (all three shows will return later in the spring). Oh, and The Bachelor—now with Juan Pablo from Desiree's season of The Bachelorette—is back as usual, on Monday nights starting in early January. 

Since it's been a while since ABC's new shows were announced, here's a refresher:

The Assets: This is an eight-episode limited series about a CIA agent in 1985 during the Cold War hunting down one of the biggest moles (spy kind, not burrowing mammal kind or skin defect kind) in U.S. history. If you've never heard of it before today, well, you're not alone; the show definitely wasn't part of ABC's Upfront announcements last spring. I have no idea what to expect.

Killer Women: Tricia Helfer (Battlestar Galactica) plays a Texas Ranger... and she's a female!

Mind Games: From Awake creator Kyle Killen, this drama stars Christian Slater and Steve Zahn as brothers who start an agency that solves problems through the real-science of manipulation and motivation. I'm excited about it. (Pictured, top of the page.)

Mixology: This comedy follows singles at a swanky New York bar and already it sounds annoying. But here's why it also sounds interesting: The whole season takes place over one night and covers several different characters. (Pictured, above.)

Resurrection: Do subtitles have you avoiding Sundance Channel's French import The Returned? Them bam! Resurrection! It's similar in premise to The Returned, with dead people coming back to life not to eat the flesh of the living, but to ponder why they're dead and what they're supposed to do now. Omar Epps and Kurtwood Smith star. 

ABC's 2014 Midseason Schedule! 

(New shows in ALL CAPS)

THURSDAY, JANUARY 2

8-10pm – The Taste

10-11pm – THE ASSETS

MONDAY, JANUARY 6

8-10pm – The Bachelor 

TUESDAY, JANUARY 7

10-11pm – KILLER WOMEN

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 15

8:30-9pm – Suburgatory

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 26

9:30-10pm – MIXOLOGY

SUNDAY, MARCH 9

9-10pm – RESURRECTION

10-11pm – Revenge (New Time)

TUESDAY, MARCH 11

10-11pm – MIND GAMES

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/10/2015

Season 1 : Episode 13

54 Comments
Comments (54)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
No promo on The Assets to be found.
Flag
Resurrection sounds like a remake of The Returned but I thought there was a remake of The Returned in 2014 by the English Paul Abbott named They Came Back. So its like we are going to get many different version of the same thing done to death !
Flag
Uh didn't Christian Slater try Mind Games before and it failed (twice) miserably as "Breaking In"?
Flag

Damn i'm really excited about "Mind Games".

Flag
Poll

Flag
Thank god Suburgatory is returning. But a complete crime that it's only for 13 episodes. With an under-par Community last season, Suburgatory became the best comedy on television.
Flag
Option "none" please.
Flag
Resurrection had the most intriguing trailer out of all the new Fall/Spring shows, but sadly, this is on ABC so it probably won't last long. Although, since it's a 'limited' series, at least it'll have the chance to tell a more stream-lined and complete story through 13 episodes.

My friend actually got the opportunity to be one of the extras in the Mind Games pilot. I have a feeling that and Killer Women will be DOA, chalking up yet another failure for Kyle Killen. I'm relieved Suburgatory is returning in its original slot but without Alan Tudyk? Yeah, it won't be the same.

Flag
Resurrection. Mind Games for Steve Zahn.
Flag
Killer Women but only because of Tricia Helfer. What is it with rubbish titles this year? First Masters of Sex and now Killer Women? Seriously?

Flag
None of them!
Flag
Mind games....real science of manipulation and motivation? Wha???
Flag
Killer woman all the way Tricia Helfer is a great actress and should do well in this genre she can play strong woman characters well. Girl power.
Flag
The Assets.... can we expect a crossover event with The Americans?
Flag
Here's hoping that Slater can BREAK is his jinx. Looking forward to Mind Games!
Flag
I'm actually interested in seeing how Mixology turns out, but giving it the post Modern Family slot is going to bring about those instant comparisons to the much beloved Happy Endings, which many believed (myself included) deserved to stay in that spot and not be cancelled.
Flag
Everyone do yourself a favour and don't look up the trailer for Killer Women, definitely the worst looking show of the season. I couldn't even finish the trailer. It makes Betrayal look good is all I can say.
Flag
Once Upon A Time, Resurrection and Revenge may not sound like they have a sound thematic flow, Tim, but I'd watch that three hours or programming easily.

Really excited for Resurrection, bit annoyed that yet another show I want to watch has joined Sundays though!
Flag
"The Assets: ...a CIA agent in 1985 during the Cold War hunting down one of the biggest moles..." OK, The Americans, except with "sset" instead of "merican".

"Killer Women: Tricia Helfer (Battlestar Galactica) plays a Texas Ranger... and she's a female!" OK... And...??? Come on, that's all? This sounds like Jr. in grade school reading the first line of his essay, everybody is eagerly waiting for the rest, but that's all he wrote. Come on, this 2013! The fact a woman is in any professional should no long be surprise and deserve an exclamation point. Besides I would never expect Tricia helfer to be amale, so obviously she's a female.

"Mind Games: From Awake creator Kyle Killen..." No need to say anything else. I'm watching this!

"Mixology: This comedy follows singles at a swanky New York bar..." Pass.

"Resurrection: Do subtitles have you avoiding Sundance Channel's French import The Returned? Them bam! Resurrection!" BINGO! And I'm not even American and I even speak some French, but I knew I could count on American TV ingenuity to keep me lazy and complacent. Thanks!
Flag
The Assets could almost be a spin-off of The Americans. Instead of following Russian moles in 80s America, we're following a CIA agent tracking Russian moles in 80s America.
Flag
I saw a prom a while ago where everyone's been living underground for years and then they sent some young people out....does anyone know what it is and when it will be on?
Flag
It might be 'The 100', but people are living in space not underground. However, they do send "young people" out to see if it Earth is inhabitable.
Flag
Yep....that's it...thank you!
Flag
I keep forgetting Suburgatory exists since I never know when its on but im glad to know itll be coming back
Flag
Yay! Suburgatory! And also excited for Mixology.
Flag
Most excited for Suburgatory!!
Flag
I love Suburgatory, really too bad about Alan Tudyk leaving though, he was literally the reason I started watching the show, I'm a big fan of his and my sister told me I would like it but she says stuff like that all the time, I just watched because of his name and I was pleasantly surprised. His presence will be sorely missed.
Flag
I thought Grey's and Scandal would be back at the end of February??? It's bad enough to have to wait that long.. *sad face*

Also, I feel like (unfortunately) Revenge is on the way out the door. It's not the best it's ever been, but it's better than last season, and I still enjoy watching it. But I hope that the time slot change means less pressure. Best case scenarios: End it on a high note this year or improve the quality and squeeze out one more season, maybe a 13-episode deal like Private Practice got.
Flag
Not sure how to feel about the Revenge time switch. I like it because it will have less competition in the 10 pm slot, but on the other hand the fact that they switched it at all sends a red flag up for me. Hoping it works out for the best though.
Flag
Not watching Resurrection purely because the original is a masterpiece that in no way deserves an American butchering.
Flag
It's not a remake, it's a completely independent series with a similar theme.
Flag
Actually, the show was originally called The Returned....the same title of the french original version. So..you do start to wonder. The problem is that the theme is waaaay to similar. It might as well be a remake. Anyway...I'm not going to watch it. Just because it feels to similar.
Flag
Your loss then. From watching the trailer, it doesn't seem like it's going to be like The Returned. It's like saying you won't watch The Walking Dead because Night of the Living Dead had zombies.
Flag
*too similar.
Flag
Les Revenants was never translated in English as "The Returned" until after the ABC show changed their name to Resurrection. The movie was They Came Back and the series was Rebound. They were definitely developed independently and also by your argument Les Revenants is waaay to similar to Yomigaeri (a Japanese film with same concept that predates the French film.) I really like the French show but am looking forward to the ABC one too.
Flag
I am interested to see what they do with Suburgatory. They seemingly wrote themselves into the corner with their finale. Plus other than that really fun fight between Dahlia and Tessa, there really wasn't anything memorable from last season. And since Alan Tudyk isn't coming back, what exactly are they going to do?
Flag
I'll watch Resurrection, maybe Mixology if i like the cast....
Flag
I so liked Suburgatory, season one, but season two was a disaster of epic proprtions, much like Revenge has become--too bad...
Flag
awww i was really looking forward to the quest....... now i have to wait longer :( but i will check out Mixology, Killer Woman, and Resurrection
Flag
I'm very interesting in Mind Games. As someone with a keen interest in both Psychology and Business, and one of the (apparently few) people that have no problem at all with watching Christian Slater, I'm looking forward to this, and hope it goes well.

Remember how awesome the first season of Lie to Me was? That's what I'm hoping for, without the terrible second and third season.
Flag
Which new show are you most excited for
None

So disappointed in revenge's time change.
Glad Subagory is finally back
Flag
Can't wait for Mind Games. Kyle Killen is a genius and Christian Slater is a favorite (True Romance/Broken Arrow/Breaking In anyone?). I hope the show will have more exposure than Lucky 7.
Flag
"Is ABC asleep or just stupid?"
You mean they can't be both?
Flag
I vote for stupid that resurrection
Show is the same time slot as the walking dead. A new show with the same premise at the same time As a seasoned Vietren bad move abc

Flag
Suburgatory is rightfully where it needs to be, not too sure how I feel about Revenge's time switch (although something needs to be done to keep it above water). I'll give Mixology a 4 episode test, and same with Resurrection!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members