Minder Forums

Wednesday 9:00 PM on Channel FiveBetween Seasons

Which version is better?

Heather_H

[1]Feb 18, 2009
    • level: 35

Which version do you think is better so far? The original one or the new one?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Auxtran

[2]Feb 18, 2009
    • level: 11
    Original without hesitation. This new one has improved, but it plays it a bit more for laughs and just feels a bit off. The show has got potential to be great, it just needs better writing and time.

GavinGibbons

[3]Feb 20, 2009
    • level: 29
    original. i used to watch it with my family when i was a kid. ohhhhh the memories.

marky0208

[4]Feb 21, 2009
    • level: 1
    fantastic, i love it. Have never been a fan of Shane Ritchie's characters but it seems to fit in nicely here. Lex Shrapnel is good too, reminds me of Nigel Harmen a bit

mil1lion

[5]Feb 23, 2009
    • level: 1

In the original Minder George Cole set the story up and supplied the majority of comic lines and Dennis Waterman provided everything else, the two had a partnership/relationship which worked really well together and remains one of my best loved shows - ever! It seems to me while G.C. said funny things he did it without ever telling jokes (that I can remember), most of the time he seemed to be striving to be taken seriously, to try and ditch the barra' boy/used car salesman image and the more he did so the funnier he became.

I caught the first two episodes of this new series and it seemed ok but they seem to have come away from this formula perhaps as Shane Ritchie is considerably younger than G.C they feel he should have more involvement in the story, also his character Archie seems less grasping/self involved than the legendary Arthur Daley was which of course was part of his charm....hopefully they ditch the cheeky one liners, this isn't friends.

Not sure how much thought has gone into the sets either, for a start Archies warehouse looked far too successful, if he's making so much money he can afford a fully stocked/racked warehouse there's a danger he doesn't worry about the odd £100 whereas Arthur would have stashed it out of sight before anyone was any the wiser.

Finally the costumes, Archie was a bit too well dressed and succesful looking and Jamie/Lex was dressed like someone out of Quadraphenia.

Hopefully there is still time to make some changes, I actually liked Shane Richie in the role, he just needs some better lines.