Misfits Forums

E4 (ended 2013)

A US remake? Say it ain't so...

ravynjensen

[1]Jun 16, 2011
    • level: 14

So Misfits is my new obsession, I just can't get enough! I'e watched all 13 episodes multiple times and gotten my friends equally addicted.

I would just about kill for an R1 DVD release of the first 2 seasons. And I'm counting the days till Series 3.

That said, when I read on the 'Spoiler TV' site that there are talks about a possible US remake my heart sank.

Granted, a few US remakes have worked Queer as Folk and Being Human come to mind), but good remakes are few and far between. And a show like Misfits, which pushes the envelope so much that there is no envelope left would end up so sanitized for American TV that it would either be unrecognizable, or it would completely lose it's edge.

I mean, can any of us really see an American network allowing a character like Nathan to appear on their airwaves the way he was originally written? And can we really imagine him any other way (would we even want him any other way)?

Here's the article I stumbled onto...

http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/06/misfits-us-remake-still-in-talks.html

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KITTvsKARR

[2]Jul 27, 2011
    • level: 9
    It really all depends on what network goes out and make the remake for Misfits. If it is a major network like NBC etc then it will be a soap opera, but if networks like HBO or MTV then it may have a chance to be sorta like the UK version but with a american twist. I thought the same with a show like Skins, but MTV has done a great job. They haven't censored anything, and they expanded on a lot of the scenes. Also another show comes to mind is Shameless done by Showtime, and they haven't watered down anything. I just want a remake to be completely different from the UK. A lot of Americans have access to the UK version of Misfits, so why not part them selves away from the UK version and do there own. Maybe have the same incident with the storm hitting off of Maine, where a group of run away's is hit and fun ensues. Whatever happens I'll most likely support the original more then the US.

Jimmyboyt

[3]Aug 12, 2011
    • level: 8
    I just can't see an american network doing it right

CharmedOneP391

[4]Nov 29, 2011
    • level: 19

I'd love to see a remake of the show...maybe one with more episodes in the seasons than the original show has...while I agree that it probably wont be as good as the original, but if it were on maybe HBO, Showtime, AMC, or maybe FX, then it would probably be really good if they get the right writers to do the job. I love the idea...but I'm also American so I'm a little biased.

PS: Season 3 is realllly good so far! Really good..

AnthonyHolley

[5]Dec 4, 2011
    • level: 1

I could only see that being the case if it was on a cable network like HBO or Starz or something. Actually come to think of it FX really pushes the envelope with some content... But if you want specific visual stuff like the tits and penises we've seen on the show you'd need one of the first two. I think it could be done but honestly why? We live in a time where if it's not on TV there are other methods of seeing it. I catch all my episodes online. You do what you have to do to see what you wanna see. (A statement I'm sure has way to many different connotations on the internet but nevertheless. haha.)

KaiRea

[6]Dec 17, 2011
    • level: 10
    See this is what I don't understand about the US networks. They see something popular from the UK that does well over here. They see that US people also like it and watch it on whatever channels import it. So what do they do? They buy the rights to remake it and completely change it. Then they wonder why no one likes it and cancel it. Surely the logic would be to buy the rights to show it on a more mainstream/well known channel and get their ratings that way?

CharmedOneP391

[7]Dec 20, 2011
    • level: 19

Well Josh Schwartz, the guy who created The O.C and co-created Chuck is producing the remake. He's a great writer so I have high hopes for the show..but I really hope it's not on broadcast TV. Misfits US if it is going to exist NEEDS to be on cable. FX, HBO or Showtimepreferably. If it's on NBC, ABC, FOX, CBS or TheCW, it's going to be watered down and not be as good. I'll check it out either way.

blackghost33

[8]Jan 29, 2012
    • level: 1

If they do make a remake just to keep it fresh they should dodifferent plots and stuff people who saw the orginal wouldnt expect (as anyone who saw the orginal could predict whatg happens)They should make super hoodie someone/something else i mean he had a v for vendetta indenity potential but then they ruined that by revealing its futuresimon and possibley diferent powers or something for the start characters

Otterpay1

[9]Jan 24, 2013
    • level: 7
    Don't worry all US remakes of British shows are terrible and eventually get cancelled. Just look at Skins, The Weekenders, and Top Gear.