Misfits

E4 (ended 2013)

anbis82

Misfits Fan Reviews (31)

• Surprisingly enjoyable!

I missed this show the first time around and I finally got around to watching it on 4OD this month, not sure what to expect. I'll be the first to admit the overall premise didn't have me wholly convinced. Suffice to say the first episode had me hooked. Don't let yourself be put off by the first 10mins or so. It's definitely worth a watch.

The superpower concept has been done before oh so many times but this approach, making the main characters young offenders with seriously flawed and often highly annoying personalities gives it a sense of realism and is, in part,the key to the show's identity (and success). Over time the characters develop well and you begin to see their sensitivities. What's more, from a British perspective, it's a nice to see a home-grown production in what seems to be a highly Americanised genre, it makes a pleasant change and is easier to relate to (not that I'm proud of our ASBO culture). Yes, there is an abundance of sex and foul language and while this is something which doesn't normally appeal to me, it is appropriate in this case and works. This isn't as finely polished or big-budgeted as 'Heroes' and the like and I think that works to its credit. The show's value comes from the characters and storylines as opposed to flashy SFX and unlike Heroes it doesn't drag or make itself overly complicated. An essentially dark and gritty plot is propelled along by character-driven humour and the overall result is compelling. I watched the entire first series over a couple of days and although there are only six episodes, it seemed well paced and they haven't made the often fatal mistake of developing the powers too quickly -- in fact one character's power remains undiscovered until the very end of series 1. If anything the superpowers are somewhat background material in series 1, but look set to become more important as more people affected by the storm start to come out of the woodwork.

Series 2 has just started in the UK on E4, and if the first episode is anything to go by this series looks set to get better and better.