NBC is shifting from broad comedies to comedies with broads! Coming to NBC next season (unless the network pulls another Love Bites) will be Elisha Cuthbert as a lesbian, Krysten Ritter trying to get into space and keep horny astronauts out of her cockpit, and Kate Walsh playing a seductive judge. Not exactly the family-friendly stylings of watching Michael J. Fox teach his kids life lessons.

One Big Happy comes from producer Ellen DeGeneres and stars Cuthbert (Happy Endings, mountain lion bait on 24) as a lesbian who gets pregnant just as her straight, male bestie—who was supposed to raise the baby with her—finds the love of his life and gets engaged. It's multi-camera, so get ready for a laugh track when they make turkey-baster jokes.

Mission Control stars Krysten Ritter (the B---- in Apartment 23) as a woman in the space program during a time when men ran the show: the 1960s. Tommy Dewey (The Mindy Project) plays a hot-shot rocket jockey who she butts heads with and 99.999999999-percent definitely has a "will they or won't they?" relationship with. This is a single-camera comedy, and it's supposed to be in the vein of Anchorman. Also noteworthy: It's a Better Off Ted reunion, with Malcolm Barrett and Jonathan Slavin co-starring! So it's probably pretty obvious why I wanted to see it get made

Finally, the single-camera Bad Judge is pretty on-the-nose with its title. Kate Walsh (Private PracticeFargo) plays a criminal court judge who can keep order in the court but can't quite keep order in her pants. Her character is described as "sexually unapologetic," unlike me, I'm always apologizing during and after the sex that I never have. Sorry, you can't spell Tim without T-M-I. 

These three pickups join an NBC slate that already includes the previously ordered DC Comics series Constantine, the dramas Allegiance, State of AffairsOdysessyand Mysteries of Laura, and the comedies A to Z and Marry Me.

Do any of these shows sound exciting to you?

46 Comments
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    Caught on Camera With Nick Cannon Octane
    NEW
    NBC
  • 10:00 pm
    20/20
    NEW
    ABC